BBQ Dinner and Roasted Garlic, Looks Gross but Oh So Good!

Well hello again folks. I just did a quick dinner tonight. Nothing too fancy. Was a bit complicated though as my daughter asked me to make onion rings but I was bbq-ing. So meant a bit of running in and out the door. Our house is not set up to bbq easily. We have a small deck off my daughter’s room but I don’t use it for the grilling. It’s too small and I like it to be her space. Plus I’d be walking through her room and heating it up opening and shutting the door. Not good for her little birdies. She has 2 canaries, 3 parakeets and a lovebird in her room. So consistent temperature is important for them. This means I have to run through the kitchen,down a set of stairs, out a door that bangs into another door,through the garage and onto the patio. All this with 3 kitty cats trying to sneak outside while my hands are full. I prefer to either cook in or out. Hate doing both. But I did it for her as she’s worked her butt off this week with projects, exams, soccer and riding. So when she asked I said yes when I should have said no. So it was bbq rib steaks with a shallot/butter sauce, onion rings, baguette with roasted garlic.I have to say elephant garlic looks gross when it’s roasted. Almost a greenish hue to it. Looks a bit unappetizing so if you can get past that the taste is incredible. I did mine on the bbq as I did not want to heat the house up for an hour. Worked really well. I also did a two step sauce for the steaks. I did up a butter/shallot sauce I brushed on first, then I put a little barbecue sauce on after. I add brown sugar to the butter sauce so it’s sweet and yummy. Just be careful to use indirect heat when brushing the butter sauce on or you’ll light the steaks and your bbq on fire.  Not the way you want to spend your weekend. Although fire men are quite cute this will not make them think you’re cute and date worthy. Not that I’ve done this. I mean if there are no pictures you cannot prove anything.Hope you enjoy these recipes and come back when I try something new. Which seems to be often. I love experimenting way too much. I have a very long list of recipes to try. I just need to be more organized making a shopping list and getting to the store. I went today and still forgot stuff. I think it’s because I am always trying to do too many things at once. I stopped on the way to my daughter’s soccer game. So I was rushing as per usual. I should remember the boy scout motto, always be prepared.

So this is dinner:

Rib Steaks with Shallot Butter and BBQ Sauce:

Ingredients:

4 rib steaks
Bulls eye barbecue sauce
Salt to taste
Garlic powder to taste

Shallot sauce-

2 to 3 small shallots, chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
1 to 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Directions:

I had the BBQ on and was using indirect heat to cook roasted garlic. So I put the shallot sauce ingredients in a glass dish and set it on the top rack of the grill. You want to cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes so the shallots almost caramelize a bit. I was going to make a compound butter but after a day at soccer and the barn this was faster.

Now place your steaks over direct heat and sear both sides for about 4 to 5 minutes each.

Move to indirect heat and brush the shallot sauce generously on both sides cooking for another 8 to 10 minutes each side.

Now brush barbecue sauce on each side and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, still on indirect heat.

Move over to direct heat and sear again to get your grill marks and crisp the steak a bit. We like ours well done so keep this in mind when you do yours if you like medium or rare.

Take off grill and plate. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes so juices settle.

Serve.

Roasted Elephant Garlic:

Cut the tops of the whole head.

Drizzle with olive oil, and toss on some salt.

Place in aluminum foil and wrap tightly.

Place on barbecue over indirect heat for about 45 to 60 minutes.

Remove and unwrap.

Fork out the cloves and use on bread like a paste or butter spread.

Unwrapping it is so much fun. You get the anticipation of did it turn out or not. It’s like christmas morning. Watch and see!

Don’t eat too much or this could happen to you. *re-enactment with unpaid actor*

Yup, portion control very important to avoid this happening to you!!!

Hope you enjoy and try these out. As always toodles and smoochies. xx

Comments

Juanita says:

That cat photo is hilarious! :)

briarrose says:

So tasty! Omg I love the pics. ;)

Kim Bee says:

Juanita- That's our youngest cat. 6 months old and so adorable.

Briarrose- Thank you so much!

Torviewtoronto says:

yummy flavours looks wonderful

girlichef says:

Oh my gosh, I don't care what it looks like…I would totally devour this entire meal. Sounds amazing.

I was fearful this was one of those recipes that looks awful but tastes great. Lol!

Pegasuslegend says:

What a gorgeous cat you have… everything sounds yummy!

Thanks so much. He's a ragdoll. We have three. I need to pop some pics of them up this week in my profile.

Eftychia says:

I like garlic and this dish sound very tasty! BTW cute cat!!

What a talented, acting cat… and a delicious dinner!
    Love the step by step photos of the roasted garlic.

I'm really Sandy… the "other" half of EverydaySouthwest.com

Mary ♥ Mur says:

oh.. so nice post.)
    Love your blog.))

I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
    1. Why did you create a blog?
    2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
    3. How long will it keep going?

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

Roasted garlic is soo good, but your right-you have to watch how much of it you eat! One time I ate a few too many……didn't feel too good…

Kim Bee says:

@ Eftychia- Thanks and thanks. Just stopped by your blog and love the doll cake. Then I found the pistachio tag and got totally sidetracked. Lol! Following you now.

@ Donna who is really Sandy(lol)- I love your site but had an error when I tried to rss for some reason. Will try again later. You ladies have me hooked with the cowboy caviar. Very clever. My kids are trying to convince me to go to culinary school. I was going to go back to school now that they're both done high school. Is it intimidating? My hubby went back and now just finished his engineering degree. it was rough on him.

Kim Bee says:

@ Mary- Thanks. I will pop my answers on your blog tonight. It's a cute blog. Love the side braid pic. Gotta recharge my battery so off to cook for a bit.

Kim Bee says:

@ Alex- happens to me often. Usually with shallots.lol

Lin Ann says:

Hmmm, I never thought of it that way. Guess it's true but it's so good. Your meal looks delicious! Very cute cat, ahhh choo! Sorry, I'm allergic but I love them.

Kim Bee says:

Thanks Lin Ann. Just taking a break from making granita and popped my head in. I went by your blog and loved what I saw so now following your blog and you on twitter. I am hoping my recent new allergies that I've never had in my life have nothing to do with my cats or horse. I've been sneezing for a couple weeks now.

Dee at Deelicious Sweets says:

Lol! Firemen are cute aren't they! I won't mention anything about that picture I saw…oops! Sorry! You're such a nice mom making her up some onion rings :) Your meal looks delicious :)

Kim Bee says:

Keep that pic on the down low. I do rock the mommy world don't I? lol. Thanks Dee! Nice having you stop by.

Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Kim! Hahhaha the last cat picture was so funny! The bbq dinner looks delicious!

Thanks Nami. Emailing you later. Been feeling horrible so behind on my to do list. xx

Oh wow, what lovely looking roasted garlic! I admit, I'm addicted to the stuff!

Thanks Amanda. Me too. Garlic and shallots are my two fave things in the world. They add such a zing to just about any meal.

Mandy @ Cater to Me says:

Never had elephant garlic before but I'm guessing its just really big garlic? Perfect for me because I am garlic obsessed…especially when it is roasted!

@Mandy- Yup, giant garlic. So good! I might make this again this weekend. It is so good over baguettes.

DEEEE- LISH!

@ Ann- The best, love this stuff.