Grilled Chicken Under a Brick with Peach BBQ Sauce

So I did this recipe years ago for my Dad and he went nuts for it. Could not get enough of it. I did it a bit differently this time. I may revisit this and make it the way I did for my Dad. But for today I just was starving and wanted to eat. So this recipe was cut short by cheating on the sauce. Often I will make my own sauce, but I was rushing so I cheated and combined two store bought sauces. The result was fantastic. Never be afraid to mix things on a gut instinct. The way I see it if it goes horribly wrong you can always order a pizza. So take a chance, be adventurous and step outside the box from time to time. I’m one of the lucky ones, since I was never taught to cook and I have no one telling me NOT to do something I just do it. If I feel it I attempt it. If I fail I laugh it off and move on.

I have to say I like this new adventure. I have been stuck in a rut for years. My daughter and myself are picky eaters so we’ve been eating the same old thing over and over. Not that it’s been bad food. Just gets old fast eating the same stuff all the time. So this has been fun. Even Kiana is getting in on the fun, she is picking one meal a week until her birthday. She is hoping by being agreeable I will let her get a tattoo for her 18th birthday. Gotta love kids, always looking for an angle.

So here it is. Hope you like it. We had the chicken with corn on the cob and I whipped up some garlic bread as well. My daughter does not eat chicken so she had corn and garlic bread. She told a friend’s mom once :I have birds, I don’t eat them!” Yah, I raised her to speak her mind but that was a bit much. They had ordered KFC and she refused to eat it while there. I love that she has the courage of her convictions I must say. But it can be a challenge to feed her. Anyhow hubs and Braydon liked this one. Such a great meal. Hope you try this, it sounds so weird and might intimidate you but it’s super easy. Have fun!

Grilled Chicken Under a Brick:

Ingredients:
1 roaster chicken
Salt to taste
Olive oil to baste in (about 3 to 4 tablespoons)
Peach Whiskey sauce to baste in (about half a bottle)
Barbecue Sauce (I used Bullseye as I do often, it’s Kiana’s fave so we’re well stocked)

Directions:

Clean thoroughly then cover 2 bricks with tinfoil.

Butterfly the chicken. There are lots of sources online if you are unsure how to butterfly a bird.

Use olive oil and peach whiskey sauce to marinate the chicken for 30 minutes. Just brush it on and leave in a container covered while you prep your grill.

Oil your grill before you fire it up.

Preheat the grill on high.

Turn down to low and put your chicken on. Set a brick or two on top. Close lid and leave it alone for about 15 minutes.

Once the side down is crisp turn over and do the same thing. Leave it cook for another 15 minutes.

Now flip it again and brush generously with barbecue sauce. Cook for another 5 to 15 minutes depending on size of bird.

Remove and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with a smile.

Don’t panic if you lose some of the skin on the grill. Not good for you anyway. This is just fun to make. I will do it again by the method I used for my Dad the night he came over for dinner.

Amusing thing about this is I butterfly the whole bird without incident but then while I grab some paper for photos I manage to gash my finger open. Nice right!

Hope you all have a great week and stop by again.

Comments

Pretend Chef says:

My mouth is watering thinking about this recipe. I love grilled chicken. Yummy! I don't know how or if I could bring myself to butterfly the chicken though. Sigh. Maybe I'll put my guy to use for this one.

Pretend Chef- I had a hard time doing it. The last time I made it I didn't butterfly it. I just put bricks on it and let the weight flatten it. You just have to be careful to cook through.

Adora's Box says:

Yes please, I would love to come over. I can never have enough of barbecue chicken. Your sauce sounds so delicious. I can imagine it. On my way now.

Ericka Andersen says:

Peach BBQ sauce! Genius !This sounds so yummy. Glad we are Foodbuzz friends. I buzzed you!

The Farmers Wife says:

That looks so good! I've always wondered if you really used brick for this… haha! Yum!

Peach BBQ sauce sounds soooo yummy!

Jeff Rasmussen says:

Brilliant!! I can just imagine how good that would taste!

Emily Malloy says:

Yummmm!

Lindsey@Lindselicious says:

Oh I just learned about this brick thing this week when my friend and i were watching rachel ray… She did an oven one. I love the idea of doing it on the grill. Yum!

firefoodie says:

This is crazy, but I really like it! Pity you can't eat the brick!.

I would love to come over and have some! My grill looks exactly the same! It's a wreck, but brand new…I buy a cheap 2 burner one every year so I don't have to worry about it!

Chicken looks AMAZING and I love the mixed sauces! I adore chicken under a brick…it's a win/win! Awesome dinner!

Chicken sounds great! I posted a recipe for peach BBQ sauce this week – it is yummy!

Kate@Diethood says:

I am all over the bbq sauce….yummo!

Dee at Deelicious Sweets says:

Great idea, Kim! I like to mix up Ranch and BBQ sauce for a salad dressing. Never be afraid to mingle your sauces. There's a joke in there somewhere!

Kim Bee says:

Adora- Sounds perfect. Making up the spare room. lol

Ericka- Thanks so much. Love peaches. Summer sure is fun to cook during, so many fresh options.

The Farmer's Wife- I think when I did it years ago I used a giant flat rock. lol

Liz- Thank you.

Jeff- Thanks, so good. Nice rustic meal.

Emily- Super yum!

Lindsey- It's just fun. I didn't de-bone it last time. Just squished the heck out of it. It's so good.

firefoodie- Lol, I know right! I felt kinda bad for the bird.

Ann- Thanks. I so want a really good natural gas grill but life is not co-operating. So cheap and destroy it every year works. I got a wheel of a deal on this one. So I abuse it badly. I am a very messy cook. Like super messy.

Erin- So good. I see you did yours from scratch. I might have to try that recipe out.

Kate- So good, love that I finally found a market that sells fun stuff like this.

Dee- Rofl, that cracked me up. I love mixing stuff up and combining different tastes. It's just fun, and we have about 12 pizza places in our small town so no lack of take out if my experiments fail.lol

The Harried Cook says:

The chicken looks delicious… I have been seeing a lot about peach bbq sauces all over the blogosphere.. Sounds really delicious and interesting! :)

Anne@frommysweetheart says:

I have always wanted to make chicken under a brick! I imagine the chicken is so moist and cooks more evenly! The sauce looks great. Good idea to combine a couple! : )

Juanita says:

How can cooking with a brick or two NOT be attention grabbing? :-) Good lookin' chicken! So true about kids working the angles also…keeps one on one's toes!

Jennifer says:

You had me feeling sorry for the chicken! ;) Nice idea.

My Home Diary in Turkey says:

hmm…. It's very much scrumptious Kim.. the sauce sounds wonderful too .. Thx for sharing ^,^

Yes I wanna come over for Brick Chicken! The char on it looks divine.

Jill Colonna says:

Adore the addition of peach sauce and can imagine the wonderful flavours here. My goodness, hope the finger is better. That sounded horrible! I'm holding mine just thinking about it! Look after yourself.

foodinnewengland says:

Is that a Taste of Inspirations sauce? If it is, i do know they all are very good! I have to hit the store so maybe i will look for it.
    Your chicken looks wonderful and don't worry about the grill. If they look perfect, there is something definatly wrong ;)

Kim Bee says:

The Harried Cook- Thanks. You must try it. You can make your own or buy it like I did. Very popular, sell it every where. If I can find it here in boonieland it has to be easy to find.lol

Anne- Thanks. It cooks very evenly. Although I have done it without butterflying it and it was just as good.

Juanita- Lol, so true. It just looks so weird. So yummy. Kids, she keeps coming in the room and raising her eyebrow which is code for yes or no. They know better than to rush me.lol

Jennifer- Oh man, me too. Some days I just want to go vegan.

My Home Diary- Thank you so much.

Jorie- Thank you. I always stress about char levels. Too little, too much, just right. Drives me mad. Come by any time.

Jill- Thanks. It's better today. I just thought the irony of butchering a poor chicken without incident then getting a paper cut was hilarious. It's just me at my best. lol

Foodinnewengland- It's a Stonewall sauce. I have a couple of them now. We don't have a williams sonoma or I'd buy there stuff. This is pretty close. Lol, so true. It's like getting your hair cut from someone with a mullet I suppose. If a cook's grill or kitchen is spotless something is wrong. If they're skinny it worrys me. rofl

That sounds and looks awesome! It cooks pretty quick too.

Cooking on a brick is something I'll have to try.

Kim Bee says:

Curt- Thank you. It does as it's flattened. The time before I remember it taking twice as long as I didn't butterfly it. You must try this. It's just fun. Not to mention yummy.