Ice Cream Sundays – Coconut Cream Ice Cream

Hi folks. Going to post this quickly as I have to run out the door. So no witty banter for now. I may come back later to add some more photos and I have some ice cream links to share. But for now I just wanted to share this with you so badly. This is by far the best ice cream I have made thus far. I mean I thought it topped the chocolate fudge brownie pistachio ice cream I made and that was store worthy. While this looks innocent enough you have to taste it to believe it. You must try it out. I could not stop grabbing spoonfuls last night and I usually only have a bite and I’m satisfied. This one I must have gone back 10 times. Not good for weight loss but luckily yesterday was my day off. Today not so much, so we’ll just pretend I did not eat that one in the chocolate cup I took a photo of right?!Coconut Cream Ice Cream:Ingredients:

1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup graham crumbs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (if you are Canadian like me this is whipping cream)
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

To toast coconut, place it on a foil lined pan and stick in a 250 degree oven until it goes golden. About 5 or so minutes. I used my toaster oven so large oven could take 8 minutes.

In a mixer combine your coconut milk, sugar and salt and whisk until sugar is dissolved.

Add your toasted coconut and graham crumbs and mix for about a minute.

Now add your cream, coconut extract and vanilla and mix for a few minutes.

Cover bowl and stick in fridge for 1 to 2 hours.

Remove and pour into ice cream maker bowl.

Place ice cream maker bowl on machine and turn on for 15 to 20 minutes.

You can serve immediately or stick in freezer until ready to serve. If you stick it in the freezer then make sure you remove it 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with a smile.

Optional- you can garnish it with more toasted coconut or untoasted coconut.

Yields 5 cups.

Photos missing due to a G+ incident. Will be restored soon.

I can hear a collective OMG as you run and pull out your ice cream machines. This one rocks. May not be as visually stunning as a vibrant sorbet but the taste cannot be beat folks.

Toodles and smoochies. xx

Comments

OK..seriously need to renew my passport so i can show up at your place with an empty bowl and a spoon.

Dee at Deelicious Sweets says:

Wow! Great recipe! You are totally inspiring me to make ice cream! I have a coffee heath bar recipe I will be making this week :)

Kim Bee says:

Amy- Lol, you are welcome any time my dear! Bowl and spoon provided so no need to pack them.

Dee- Thanks, this one rocked my world. It really tastes just like coconut cream pie. I am usually so good about not noshing while I make and photograph but I was gobbling this one. I always throw the spoon I use in the sink so I won't have more than a bite. I think there were 12 spoons in the sink this morning. Lol! Can't wait to see this coffee one, hubs would love it. I am an aversion to coffee. So weird I know.

SavithaRaj's Spice Land says:
    Emily Malloy says:

Delicious!

Kim Bee says:

SavithaRaj- Thanks.

Emily- Thank you!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

What a refreshing treat, this sounds wonderful for the warm weather that we are experiencing!

Anne@frommysweetheart says:

I am in such an ice cream kick lately. This sounds amazing. But I still want to make your chocolate fudge brownie pistachio ice cream! Which one will I make first?! : )

Nishana says:

Looks Yummy. And you know, I am from Kerala, a state of India, which is the homeland of coconut *even though I am US currently*. The name Kerala itself means *the land of coconuts*. So coconut has been an unavoidable part of our day-to-day life. This made me nostalgic, reminded me of my mom's food.

Thank You so much for the recipe.. and my google +1 for you for that…:)

Babymama says:

You had me at coconut. Looks deadly.
    One day I will be brave enough to make my own ice cream…(I am eating a peanut buster parfait as I type this…not kidding)
    xo
    babymama

Babymama says:

BTW – I swore I was following you already and just found that I wasn't!
    Bad fellow canadian I am.
    I've fixed this.
    xo

Clayton Thomas says:

This sounds delicious. Don;t know if I could really make it but who knows- right? All the best!!!

Clayton
    http//www.claytonpaulthomas.com

Jenilyn says:

I can picture my family eating giant bowls by the pool. Yummmmm! Thanks for the recipe. Visiting from VB.
    Jenilyn
    Thanks for visiting me this afternoon!

Oh, YUM!!! I am a coconut fiend…and this sounds just amazing!

Kim Bee says:

Cassie- Thanks. Too hot these days.

Anne- Make them both the same day and you don't have to pick. Lol!

Nishana- That is so cool. I love coconut. I just saw a show where they had young coconuts. I have never seen those. Would be such a great substitute for meat in some recipes.

Babymama- Thanks. It's all good. I was organizing my reader yesterday and somehow misplace or possibly deleted a bunch of people. It happens.

Clayton- You should try.

Jenilyn- Wish I had a pool. Our last house had one and I miss it.

Lizzy- Thanks. Me too. I could eat it every day. Did you know you can barbecue it? It's lovely on kabobs.

The Harried Cook says:

Sounds really good! I am not a big fan of coconut, but I can think of a few people that would go nutty for this! :) Thanks for sharing :)

Blackswan says:

Ok Kim Bee, this is definitely for me. Yum!

raquel@erecipe says:

wow the flavor is really great you used coconut milk am now imagining how it taste. I wanna try this and I am sure it is a hit.

Kim Bee says:

Thanks Raquel. It really did taste just like coconut cream pie. I can usually be satisfied with one spoonful of whatever I make but I cannot stop eating this one. Thanks for visiting.

Juanita says:

Devoted coconut fan thumbs up!

Pretend Chef says:

A winner in my book. Yummy! I need to try this soon. Coconut makes me giddy.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit says:

mmm yum! I love the idea of adding graham crackers to the mix. I bet that would be delicious!

@The Harried Cook- Thanks. My family are not huge coconut lovers. I could eat it every day.

@Blackswan- Thank you.

@Juanita- Thanks, it's so good. Love it.

Pretend Chef- Thanks so much. Me too, just love the stuff.

Leanne- It is so good. It tastes exactly like coconut cream pie. I loved it.

savoryandsavage says:

I love coconut but the addition of graham crackers? OMG!!!

I am going to have to steal someones ice cream maker and make this asap :-)

Thanks. You should totally do that. If we lived near each other you could steal mine whenever you want. The one I bought was not overly pricey. So worth it.

janet@cupcakestocaviar says:

Looks delicious Kim! I love making home made ice cream and love anything using coconut milk so this sounds great to me!

Oh yum! This is like vacation in a bowl – wonderful recipe!

Kate@Diethood says:

mmmmm! Loooove the flavor of this ice cream!

Carolyn says:

Funny that we were both doing coconut ice creams at practically the same moment!

Kim Bee says:

Janet- Thank you so much. I am a huge coconut fan. My family not so much. But I try to sneak it in when I can.lol

Erin- Thanks. It is a vacation in a bowl. I ended up pulling out our shell leis from hawaii for the photo. So fun!

Kate- So good. Hope you take this one for a test drive.

Carolyn- Lol, I know. I giggled when I saw that. Yours is so cool without the use of sugar. It's amazing what you can with a recipe. I wish I could add alcohol to mine but doc orders not to have any. Haven't had alcohol in years. I always want to use it in recipes figuring I can sneak it in. Sometimes I do with sauces since it burns off. I like your bowls. I need more plates and bowls and whatnot for pics. I have white and that is it. So boring.lol

Lindsey@Lindselicious says:

YUm this sounds good- I love how you added Graham cracker crumbs to it too. Growing up in Hawaii- coconut or haupia flavored stuff was always my favorite.

Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate says:

That last picture? Yeah I could totally go for that. I want to be your neighbor so you can bring me a little canning jar of ice cream! Where do I sign up?

Kristin @STUFT mama says:

Oh man, I really need to get out my ice cream maker. This looks delicious!!! I hope I can find it in the corner of my pantry. Ugh. Love your blog and your cats (especially Spark). :) Can't wait to try the ice cream!

Oh – wow! I can see why you had to post first and come back with pictures later…delicious! I love the idea of graham cracker crumbs in it! Buzzed!

Kim Bee says:

Lindsey- I love Hawaii, we went there on our honeymoon. So I included our leis in the photo. Couldn't help myself.

Katie- There's a house down the road for sale. You can pop by any time.

Kristin- I sure hope you can find it. I just bought mine recently and I love it. Spark is pretty but evil. Our only ragdoll who gets mats, I swear it's karma. Lol!

Ann- Thanks so much. I don't think I'll ever hit top 9. Seems too daunting. I find the picture thing hard simply because we eat late so the light is gone. rofl

Roxana GreenGirl says:

what a delicious treat, I'm nuts for coconut and this ice-cream is just perfect for the hot summer we facing!

Roxana- So good. Coconut is the bomb. I could eat it every day.

Aroma y Cocina says:

It looks such a nice icecream!. I love coconut in desserts.
    We are having such a warm days in Spain, nice time to try them.
    Thanks.

Begoña

Tina @flourtrader says:

Oooh-I am loving this tropical ice cream. I could freeze pure coconut milk and eat it. Tasty post-yum!

Kim Bee says:

Aroma- Thanks. Love warm weather.

Tina- Thanks. Same way, just love anything coconut. So yummy!

Jennifer says:

Amy, this sounds incredibly good. I'm tempted to make it with one or two tiny substitutions. Your enthusiasm won me over! Bookmarking this! :)

So this is what my ice cream maker has been waiting patiently for in the back of my freezer!

Barefeet In The Kitchen says:

This sounds delicious! You had me at coconut. YUM!!