Farm Fresh Fridays- Sept 30: Applefest or as I like to call it "candyfest"

Welcome to Ruthven Apple Festival 2011 or as I like to call it Candyfest 2011!

It is held at Colasanti’s which seems to be a geese hangout as well as a fabulous local greenhouse and tourist spot!

The geese are living large in Leamington my friends!

We stopped admiring the geese long enough to head into the “fest” area!

Where we seemed to find everything BUT apples!

Seriously, where’s the apples people?

Kettle corn was a welcome distraction. I expected it to be apple flavour but apparently apples are necessary at an applefest!

Waffles on the other hand are. I just can’t figure out how you walk around with a big old plate of waffles…

Now this makes more sense. Portable but not apple flavoured!

While apples seem absent at the applefest, music abounds!

Although I’m thinking the person who was smart enough to put the kids play area right next to the giant speakers was also the person in charge of the apples!

They had apple signs to mark the apple streets, surely that’s the way to the apples!

Er, nope. Fruits and veggies galore, minus apples!

Seriously, where are the apples?

At this point it seems unlikely applefest has any apples so we get distracted by shiny toys!

Lots and lots of shiny toys!

Someone please call 911…or Ghostbusters!

Well these aren’t apples!

Neither are these!

Seriously, I want answers. But I’m distracted by all the green people!

Then I find this and all of a sudden I see apples. Lots and lots of apples. In candy form. Which we all agree is the BEST way to eat an apple!

At this point I’m willing to forgive applefest for not having any apples, cuz they have CANDY instead!

And y’all know how I feel about candy!

It’s like the be all and end all for this lunatic!

I see more candy apples and cannot resist temptation. So I clean the store out! I mean this is applefest so I must come home with apples right!

I’m not sure what creepy killer dudes have to do with apples but I like being scared so I hang around long enough to get a jolt of fear!

Somehow being scared out of my wits makes me think less about the missing apples!

We wandered off where I accidentally take a photo of mini-me’s rear end! I blame apple deficiency!

I was going to buy plants but I was still in no apple stupor!

I’m wondering is this couple is super happy cuz they haven’t realized there are no apples yet!

There is silly kids rides but since I don’t have young silly kids any more this was getting kind of boring! I just want some dang apples people! From the applefest!

We give up and head home!

Where we have 2 apples trees in our backyard!

Hope you enjoyed our trip to the apple fest. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of apples and apple fun. No apple bobbing, nary a pie in sight. It was dismal and a big old bummer after out St. Jacob’s high. But we had fun anyway. We always do.

Comments

the food dude says:

The applefest looks like fun, very entertaining read. And those doughnuts at the end looked great! Are they apple or cinnamon flavored?

Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Kim! Thanks for sharing your road trip photos! And you got sick again? Oh nooo! That's such a bad luck! Or maybe you weren't fully recovered from previous one? Either way… please take good care. Good thing it's almsot weekend! Gosh.. the last donut photo is killing me. I haven't hand one for such a long time. I might just swing by donut shop to get one tomorrow morning. Have a great weekend!

raquel erecipe says:

you really had fun there…is that really a UFO?

Yes it is a pitty taht apple feast did not have more apples;) Howver I sence from your pictures you had as usual lot of fun.Good on you;)

I'd LOVE you to be my neighbor!!!! I don't know if I could keep up with you on all your adventures, but at least you'd keep me laughing! I'm sorry you're still having digestive woes…but thank goodness you know where the decent loos are located…whew. Have a great weekend, my friend!!!!

spanish4kiddos says:

Looks like you had tons of fun, anyways. Fall fairs are always so much fun with games, food, and concerts. Glad you had a good time.
    Hope you're having a great week,
    Barbara

Brilliant photos – thnks for sharing. I now have a craving for a candy apple though….

loved the pics, hope you had great time ..AHHHHH Candy apples..xx

@the food dude- I love your name. At 42 dude is still one of my fave words much to the chagrin of my kids. I can't help myself. The donuts are cinnamon, Colasanti's is famous for them. I would think they should do apple for the applefest. Kind of odd they don't.

@Nami- Yup, I think my immune system was already weak so it was easy to get it riled up again. I'm like that all the time unfortunately. The joys of IBS. This place they hold the applefest has the best donuts I've ever had. They make them fresh right there. So good, simple cinnamon sugar donuts but oh so good.

@Raquel- Thanks and lol! It's so funny when you get pics home and see things you don't see at the time. This trip was spooky, bewtween the weird lady hovering like a ghost and the ufo, it was all a little x-files to me. Lol!

@Dzoli- I expected tons of apple stuff to buy. And tons of apples. SO odd. We always have a good time no matter what.

@Lizzy- You may regret it. I have your address and may just show up down the road as a new neighbour one day. Thanks, I am hoping for a no tummy upset weekend. What are the chances? Lol!

@Barbara- Thanks. Hope you are too. Looking forward to the weekend. More relax time for me which I cannot wait for.

@Ruth- Beware of those candy apples. I say make your own. That way no tummy upset. Lol!

@Mania- Thanks so much. I think I should make my own so everyone has the recipe. They are actually super easy to make.

carolinaheartstrings says:

That looks like so much fun. Fall is here. Come over and visit. We have the most amazing apple cake recipe you will ever taste.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

Another fun trip filled with more goodies! $30 is totally worth it for delicious candy!! Sorry to hear you got sick again!!

Your like the ever ready bunny-even with stomach problems you just keep going.! I hope you get to feeling much better and try to stay home until you do!

Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen says:

Okay, can I please move where you live? Seriously gorgeous! I want to go to there. Sigh. But I don't want food poisoning, so I'd need a complete list from you of spots to avoid. ;)

My favorite pic here is "green people waiting for doughnuts." Classic!

What a fun, fun time! Looks like it was the perfect day for a Applefest – strike that – Candyfest! :)

Oh, Kim…I'm sorry your sick again! The candy and donuts look delicious, but I have to say the garlic is my favorite! It's beautiful! Take care of yourself!

Christine's Pantry says:

Sorry you are sick again. Great photos.

sweetcarolinescooking.com says:

I'm so jealous of your trip to the apple fest, Kim, it looks like you had a great time! Seeing all of those pumpkins reminds me that I need to go pick some up to use for decorating, cooking, baking, etc. The apples you picked are gorgeous. I'm sure they're delicious as well!

Katherine Martinelli says:

The apple fest looks like fun, even if there weren't that many apples! And I always love flea markets. I'm sorry to hear about your ibs and food poisoning and hope you feel better!!

Liz @ Southern Charm says:

Wow! This looks like so much fun!!

Sorry you are sick :( Get better soon!

Robin at Simply Southern Baking says:

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I went to an apple festival earlier this month and had a great time.

@Tina- Lol, I do seem a bit hyper on the page don't I? I have this overwhelming desire to do as much as possible each and every day. Then I crash at some point from exhaustion. My fave saying is I'd rather be busy than bored.

@carolinaheartstrings- Thanks. I love your blog. So much interesting material there.

@Stephanie- So worth it. So much fun eating it. I am sharing though. My sis is getting some of it.

@Tori- Lol, it's so misleading in the pics. It's actually really ugly here. Very flat and lots of factories. Don't ya just love green people. Lol!

@mjskit- Candyfest rules. Lol!

@Ann- Love garlic. I mean love, love, love it. I also like candy, can you tell. I swear it's like I'm 5 years old when I get in a candy store. Feeling better. For now. One never knows, ibs blows.

@Christine- Thanks. Feeling a bit better tonight.

@Caroline- Thanks. I still need to fall decorate as well. I am not a pumpkin fan to eat though.

@Katherine- I cannot seem to get to your site. Normally I don't allow links but if you read this go ahead and pop it in so I can visit you. I tried tons tonight and kept getting the oops thing. We had fun so apples or no apples it was a blast. We adore flea markets, so much fun.

@Liz- Thanks and thanks. Doing better already.

@Robin- Your apple festival looked so much more fun than ours. So jealous!!!

Simply beautifully captured shots…lovely!

Applefest, Candyfest…how about candy-applefest? It looks like a wonderful day with tons of great food!

EmptyNester says:

Oh gosh- you are HILARIOUS! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! I'm your newest follower now!

I would have loved going to that apple festival and the flea market! Wow! Y'all have way cool stuff to do there! And the CANDY! Yummy!

Love your photo essay with humorous narrative! I love the green people and pumpkins! And the ghost and flying saucer! Thanks for the follow–following you back!

JM @Inspiration for Weight Loss says:

That looks like so much fun. This summer we went to our local county fair for the first time ever and had a blast, we will be doing it again next year, the kids loved it!

Emily of The Best of this Life says:

Looks like a fantastic time! I wish we had an Apple Fest here in Ottawa!!
    Looks like you scored on a lot of apple candy :) Yum!

Have a great weekend xo