Do I have your attention?
How about now?
Okay just making sure I have your full attention for this.
You are not seeing things. Your eyes are not playing tricks on you. Yes those are pistachios….in a salad. Yes I love pistachios….in a salad. Yes I love pom seeds….in a salad. Yes I love pear….in a salad. Yes I love…oh wait…no I don’t….yes I tolerate lettuce…in a salad. And finally, yes finally, yes I love salad…. IN A JAR!!!
You weren’t expecting normal were you? Seriously, have you learned nothing by now. I do not colour inside the lines. And yes that is how us Canucks spell colour. C-O-L-O-U-R! So get over yourselves people. I am not a redneck, I’m a Canuck. We do not follow rules. And we are polite. So we politely break the rules. And contrary to popular belief I do not:
Have a moose in my back yard!
Say eh constantly. (However I do say dude alot!)
Live in an igloo!
Frolic in the snow year round!
Say hoser all the time. (On occasion just for fun but not ALL the time!)
Drink long necks! (I drink my pepsi from a can!)
Okay now that clears that all up. I feel better now. Hope I didn’t offend anyone. *er, sorry it just slipped out* Correction- take that you, you, you… okay I just can’t do it.
Alrighty roo folks. So I had some fun again. Fun with Jars! I love this series. It’s so much fun. The possibilities are endless. I just want to put the whole world in a jar now. It’s just a hoot. I tried to put chips in one the other night but I kept whacking my hand on the mouth of the jar. After about the hundredth time I finally stopped. You know, fast learner and all.
I have seen others do salad in a jar so I had to think outside the box..er..jar a bit to come up with something fantabulous enough to delight you all. I did a search and found this salad HERE. The thing is I don’t do spinach. Spinach and IBS do not get along. They fight, bad things happen and I get sucker punched. So I thought of how I could change this up. Then it came to me as I love the artisan lettuce you can buy now. Something about baby lettuces just do me in every time. They are so cute. I also thought I’d switch out the nuts to pistachios and see what happens. OMFG…that’s oh my flipping goodness in Canuck just for the record. I loved it with the pistachios. So good. I did not make my own dressing as I was in multi-tasking mode already and that would have pushed the limits of good sense. Plus I’ll be honest here, I do not like dressing. I like my salad naked. Seriously, why eat healthy if you’re going to just slather oil on it. Makes no sense to me. I mean I’ll slather oil on lots of things, I’ll even slather butter on things. But to put it on veggies just does not compute in my world. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who had her whole face in jar of black forest cheesecake a couple weeks ago. So clearly don’t take advice from me. Unless it’s how to slather butter on things. Then I am an expert. Seriously!
Okay so to recap:
I made salad…
in a jar…
I am Canadian…
I say dude too much…
I am a butter slathering expert…
and I am polite…
all while I ride my moose, yelling “eh” riding through the snow towards my igloo drinking a long neck while calling you a hoser! But politely!
Okay so now that we’re all caught up, here’s your OMFG recipe.
- 1 cup of petite oak lettuce
- 1 cup of petite gem lettuce
- 1 cup of petite tango lettuce
- 1 cup of radicchio lettuce (to be fair I thought this was bitter and might not use it again)
- ½ cup pom seeds ( I bought mine already de-pommed, not sure that’s a word)
- 1 pear, cut into nice little sticks
- ½ cup pistachio nuts, shelled and chopped (start with 3 cups, by the time your done eating it will be ½)
- Icky dressing, the guys used a pom vinegar one I had, bleck
- Have one huge jar at the ready. I used the 1 L
- Cut or tear up your lettuce and set aside. Do not mix colours if going for the layered look in the jar.
- Cut up your pear. Set aside.
- Rinse your pom seeds. Set aside.
- Shell your pistachios and chop. Set aside.
- Grab all the stuff you set aside.
- Now start with one colour lettuce and place it in the jar.
- Now using an alternate colour place that one in jar.
- Now place the third bunch in jar, making sure the colours are opposite if you’re like me.
- Now place the fourth bunch in the jar. Squish it down a bit. Do not get your hand stuck.
- Now add the pom seeds and squish down.
- Now add the pear and squish down.
- Now add the pistachio and squish down.
- Now grin like crazy and take a gazillion photos.
- Now either eat it like that or pour back out into a bowl.
- Slather on some dressing if you’re “that kind of person”.
- Grab a fork and go to town.
- While smiling.
Before I continue does anyone else hear the voice of the jalapeno from Jeff Dunham’s show every time I say “in a jar”?? No, just me then??
I am not “that kind of person”.
I am however “this kind of person”.
Hubs and B are “these kind of people”.
Seriously, ick, bleck, blah, uck, bleh!
But they did it anyway.
For the record mini-me was at school late last night. But I think her exact words would have been OMFG what are you guys eating? Or something like that. Polite right!
Okay so stay tuned for next week’s Fun with Jars recipe. The doc said they can schedule me in to have the jar removed from my wrist on Thursday. So I’m all set for next Friday then.
Toodles and smoochies! xx