Better Than Milky Way Bars: Guest Post by That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Better Than Milky Way Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Hi folks. I have a very special treat for you today. A very special, sugary, oh so yummy treat in fact. The best part is it was made by the talented and delightful Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake. I adore her so very much, in fact we have a deal that she is going to adopt me. I’m just waiting for a bedroom to free up then I am packing my bags. Pay no mind to the fact that we’re about the same age. She’s probably younger than me. I am still moving in though. A deal’s a deal. No take backs.

I am thrilled to have Liz here at the asylum and I hope you all make her feel most welcome. She is a rare gem amongst the foodie community. For those who love food, and love sweets this is your go to gal. She always impresses, she is forever kind and she’s my adopted Mama. So say hello and prepare to have your jaw drop!

I’m thrilled to be guest posting at Cravings of a Lunatic today. Kim and I became fast friends via Foodbuzz and I am always thoroughly entertained by her humorous blog posts.  Not to mention that she’s one of the warmest most generous souls I’ve met. I knew I had to make something special to share with her readers…I’m not so funny, but I make a mean cookie bar!

There are certain candies I am required to purchase for Halloween, and Three Musketeers or Milky Ways are a must. We rarely have leftovers after the throng of trick or treaters, but we have to have the favorites on hand just in case.  All 120 full sized candy bars were spoken for by the end of the evening…I think I’ll be buying more next year.  But till then, I thought I’d try to make my own Milky Way Bars.  Erin, of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts made her version by dipping individual bars, but I took the easy way out and added a crust to create layered bars.

These got rave reviews from my crew. And I just kept sneaking nibbles…my will power cannot resist caramel.  These gems need to stay in the refrigerator. Just during the time it took to photograph them, the caramel layer started oozing out.  Just more for me to trim off and sample.

These super rich bars will be a hit with any chocoholic you know. They are just plain irresistible. Thanks, Kim, for the honor to guest post!

Better Than Milky Way Bars…adapted from recipes from Hugs and Cookies and Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

1 stick (4 ounces) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 12-ounce bag milk chocolate chips
3 tablespoons cream
1 7-ounce jar marshmallow creme
1 14-ounce bag caramels
3 tablespoons cream

1 12-ounce bag milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 300º. Line 8 x 8 inch pan with nonstick foil or greased regular foil.

Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. Press evenly into pan…you may need to flour your fingers to prevent sticking. Prick crust with fork. Bake 35-45 minutes till crust is golden.   Cool.
Melt 12 ounces chocolate chips in microwave, starting and stopping to stir at 30 second intervals till melted and smooth.  Add 3 tablespoons cream and marshmallow creme, and stir till well combined. Pour over cooled crust and
spread with off set spatula.  Cool in fridge while preparing next layer.

Put caramels and 3 tablespoons of cream in microwave. Stop and stir at 30 second intervals till melted and smooth.  Pour over chocolate layer and spread with offset spatula.  Refrigerate for a couple hours.

Melt second bag of chocolate chips as directed above.  Add vegetable oil when melted and pour over caramel layer. Place in refrigerator till firm.

Use foil to remove from pan, peel off foil and cut into bars to serve.

Okay so I am strapping on my apron and heading into the kitchen. These look so decadent. I love Milky Way bars so this is my kind of treat. I just love the layers of ooey gooey-ness. A big Lunatic thank you to Liz for rocking my world today. I am touched and grateful you agreed to guest for me. I would love you all to head over to Liz’s blog That Skinny Chick Can Bake and stalk her a little bit. You can also find her on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, and STUMBLEUPON. Now run over and remember full stalker mode folks, no stealth mode. This lady deserves your full attention. Thanks Liz! Er, Mama Liz! xx

Toodles and smoochies.xx

Comments

1. Anne Regalado says

Wow !!! These look awesome !!!! Love all that layers 😉 Yup , it surely is better than milky way bar ;D Yummy post , Liz 😉

2. Ann says

Wow – what a delicious post! The two of you together is an unbeatable combination! When you DO move in, Kim…can I go with you?

Congratulations to both of you….it's a winner!

3. Amalia says

Holy moly these look amazing! I mean, a homemade milky way bar, but better? Yes please! I'll take a whole pan! What an insanely rich dessert, I love it :) Great job Liz!

4. Loveforfood says

When something is so deliciously awesome that you have to lick your fingers upon finshing it to get the full extravagance of the taste.

5. Tina says

these look like a piece from a gigantic milky way bar! Nothing like all those wonderful flavors stacked together-yum!
    Nice to see Lizzy guest posting here! Simply delicious and decadent post!

6. Lizzy says

Oh, you gave me a huge smile this morning, Kim!!! I'm saving you (and Ann) a spot in my spare bedroom…come on down anytime! We would have SO much fun!!! It's an honor to be here today! xoxo

7. Katherine Martinelli says

YUM!!! I am always impressed by Liz's dishes, but this one just takes the cake, or, er…candy bar. Milky Way was my favorite as a kid and I can't wait to try this grown up version. Great guest post! :-) I love seeing two of my favorite bloggers collaborate!

8. Curry and Comfort says

I just told Lizzy how much I loved these and I love that you had her guest post for you today. Two of my favorite ladies. :)

9. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons says

Great guest post, Kim. Can totally understand why you'd want to move in.
    Liz, loving these bars. Decadence and heaven in one!

10. Becky says

These bars are so rich and decadent with all of those yummy flavors, oh my. Great job Lizzy, as usual.

Two great ladies and one great recipe, a winner for sure!

11. Kristen says

Liz, you never fail to impress. What a wonderful treat! Kim, thanks for having one of my favorite people over for a visit!!

12. The Mom Chef says

Forget the refrigerator! I love the oozing that I see. Wow, oh wow. Caramel trumps chocolate every day. I've never attempted to do the Milky Way thing at home and now I'm hooked.

13. Marina says

Deeeep breath, another one…. I am OK, I am OK…. MMMM those look so delicious! and I can't eat any of it for another four days!

14. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts says

HA!! I came here, saw the title and was like I have to have these Milky Ways are my favorite (then I see she adapted my recipe)! I love Liz, she always has amazing things to share! Great guest post!

15. Suzi says

Fabulous, it never occured to me that you could actually make these. But then I am no dessert baker. I'm going for that caramel layer. Love this wonderful guest post Liz and Kim.

16. Maggie says

I want to make these immediately! They look out of this world!! Another winnter Lizzy! And Kim, hilarious as usual. You two are definitely a dynamic duo!

17. Sandra says

Oh my sweet sweet cravings:))) Those look incredible Kim! What a great recipe..and I bet it taste it so good!!! Great post, congrats on the guest post over at Kelly! xoxo

18. Kiri W. says

Oh man, you guys have me drooling! Milky Ways are one of the standard candy bars in Germany, too, and I just about die for them :) The caramel layer in this! Oh! OH! Oh how I suffer just looking!

19. Free Spirit Eater says

Oh yes!! I've been a milky way fan since I can remember and these bars look a million times better than any old plain milky way lol. Liz you did a wonderful guest post! So great to see two of my favorite bloggers in one place! =]

20. Katie @ OhShineOn says

GREAT guest post! I just saw a recipe from How Sweet Eats about homemade snickers bars and then I stumbled over here to find this?! I think God is definitely trying to tell me something…

21. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says

So I was following Liz everywhere but Pinterest apparently. I have a feeling I'll be putting on a few pounds following here there! Man she's got some cool stuff pinned!

22. Jackie @ Domestic Fits says

You two ladies are the best! When she adopts you, I wanna have a slumber party at her house and eat these Milky way bars and drink margaritas. MM-kay?

23. Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says

Layer upon layer upon layer upon layer of super-chocolatey deliciousness. Liz I think you have outdone yourself – Kim, delightful guest post.

24. Guru Uru says

This was definitely a treat – What an absolutely divine dessert – cravings have begun – thank you Liz and Kim, you are both wonderful geniuses! 😀

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself

25. Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes says

I have a weakness for Caramel and Chocolate- these bars would certainly bring me to my knees!

26. Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family says

The layers are just gorgeous. Oh course I love Lizzy so it is so fun to see her guest post here.

27. thesmartcookiecook.com says

Oh. My God.
    I am dying right now. MILKY WAYS ARE MY FAVORITE. And this is basically a Milky Way on steriods. What will it take to get you to share??

28. Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com says

That skinny chick sure can bake, no question and we love her, too! These bars look absolutely decadent and wouldn't last five minutes in this house!

Kim – Adam here. I want to apologize for having missed your comment on PPM about having a shaded house and what you can do about it re: photos. We have been up to our hips in a huge project and my mind has been so consumed I haven't paid as much attention to the blogosphere as I would ordinarily. There are indeed somethings you can do and if you like you can email me at info@pictureperfectmeals.com I will do my best to help you out.

29. The Harried Cook says

What a fabulous guess post! Lizzy & Kim, I love both your blogs, and now I think everyone can see why… decadent and beautiful! Who can resist!? Great post :)

30. Kim Bee says

Cheryl and Adam- Thanks so much. She sure can. Love her to bits.

Adam you are so sweet. I shall email you tomorrow for some help. I am reading plate to pixel and am also considering investing in a new camera if I can swing it within the next month. I asked everyone for gift certificates for the camera store here for Xmas and my birthday so getting close to my goal. I cannot thank you enough and will talk to you tomorrow. Good luck with the project!

31. anthony stemke says

You have enough butter, chocolate and caramel here; so maybe, just maybe these are better than Milky Way bars, my personal favourite.
    Good job Skinny.

32. Kim Bee says

Lol, I saw those too. I am loving today. Candy bar treats rock. I think someone is telling us to eat more candy.

33. Kim Bee says

Liz knocked these out of the park. I always eat my milky ways one section at a time. It's odd but I have done it since I was little. Lol!

34. Kim Bee says

I am so happy to make you happy. Thanks again for doing this. I am ever grateful. You may regret inviting me. I never sleep. *giggles*

35. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar says

Caramel?? Home made candy? Chocolate? Kim, can Liz come join our soon to be made commune after you and I get married (you still haven't told your husband have you?) and cook these for us say, twice a day?

36. Nami | Just One Cookbook says

You are so funny. Your adapted mama made such a delicious bars! After you are over, can you adapt me as your sister? LOL! You are so lucky she made this for you! You two are amazing bloggers!

37. Lizzy says

YES, a commune is in order! I'll bake if you all eat!!! Thanks for all your kindness!

PS…Kim, LOL at the what husband? comment! Too funny!

38. Kim Bee says

Thanks Nami. You totally have to join us for the adoption party at Liz's. I think she's adopting a whole bunch of us now. Lol! You are so sweet.

39. Liam @ Is Butter a Carb? says

YAS! yas yas yas! I love milky way bars and you've now just trumped milky way! Amazing! Fab post! Have a niec weekend! :)

40. Soni says

Lovely looking milky bars and yeah we would all want to move into Liz's house for all the decadent treats that she creates!You both are awesome :)

41. Patty says

I LOL-ed like a cat at the "no take-backs" and "asylum." This recipe looks so rich – perfect for just a small portion! Yum!

42. Buttercream Blondie says

Great post girls! So nice to see Lizzy over here, these look beyond amazing! Love the cookie crust on them and all the layers!!

43. chrissycupcake says

OMG I wish stores would be open on Sunday in Germany so I could make a run and try this. Don't want to wait until Monday….They look delicious ^^

44. Kim Bee says

I am dying to make them myself. Need to run out for supplies. These will not last long here. Liz knows her stuff.

45. Gina says

No fair, I thought Lizzy was taking me in! I love how there is no fork required for these. Nice to find you. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
    -Gina-

46. Gina says

I think we may have met at the fb fest. Were you with Baking Barrister, sorry about the belated drop in. The holidays through my schedule out the window.
    -Gina-

47. Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie says

These are gonna be right there w/ the snickers things I wanted to make. We're going to be on sugar overload all week…