Okay no need to panic.
Vegetables two days in a row should not inspire wide spread panic.
Seriously, just calm down.
I promise more “sugar rush” food later this week.
So…welcome to the new series I promised. I figured now that summer has made its glorious return that this is the perfect way to kick off grill season. I was inspired by my posts from last summer called Give a Girl a Camera. You can read Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 to learn why I like my old dude brother to visit. Just a hint, he owns a Canon Rebel. So Give a Girl a Camera became Give a Girl a Grill and the rest is history. This will be a weekly series you can look forward to every Tuesday.
I adore BBQ season. It gets wicked hot here in Ontario during the summer months. I try never to turn my oven on if I can help it. When we bought my Dad’s house we knew it was coming with some issues. One of them is my Dad was a cheap skate so when he decided to install a new a/c unit he sort of cheaped out on one that is quite honestly too small for the house. It works it’s tiny little butt off and can’t keep up. Often it can be found freezing over. It’s just not made for the square footage here, which is not a lot I can assure you. We put one in our old house at the same time. We spent a whopping $300 more than Dad but it was worth every penny. Our old place was always nice and cool. We should have switched them out before we moved. Then maybe I could whip up some brownies or a side dish occasionally during the summer months. Luckily I love to grill so it’s all good. Except I miss our old pool. This place does not have a pool. Seriously someone remind me why we moved?
Last year we invested in a new grill. Our old one was a scary thing hubs would not let me use. It was dangerous. We never touched it. So we made the leap last summer and bought an inexpensive one. Eventually I’d love to put in a natural gas one but first I need to win the lottery. So we compromised in the meantime. Just till that big win-fall comes our way. Any day now…any day.
I know this is an odd kick off. You would think I’d grill you some steak or ribs to kick off this momentous occasion. I was feeling veggilicious this week though so you get one of my fave things to grill, asparagus. We had a nice bundle lurking in the fridge so I decided to just grill them up. With a steak obviously. Come on now, you did not think I was just eating Roasted Cauliflower and Grilled Asparagus now did you!? Oh my gosh, you did! You guys are adorbs!
- 1 bundle of asparagus
- 2 tablespoons of Meyer Lemon Savory Oil (Use plain lemon juice if you don’t have this. Just mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil together.)
- Himalayan Salt (any salt will do)
- Preheat your grill. You want it at medium heat.
- Snap off the woody ends of your asparagus. Or cut them, but that’s boring and you don’t get to hear that cool snap sound.
- Pour your oil into a shallow dish.
- Lay your asparagus in that dish and roll around until it’s evenly coated.
- Remove and place on a plate.
- Sprinkle with salt. (you can also add pepper, I don’t care for it myself)
- Lay the asparagus on the grill. This time I laid them on the top rack so they were farther from the heat. I did not want them scorched.
- If you have big pieces they can go directly on the grill but if they are tiny use a grill basket or grill rack.
- Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes depending on your grill and how crispy you like asparagus.
- Transfer to a plate to bring to the table.
- Serve with a big old healthy smile!
Gorgeous right! I love asparagus. I want to plant some in our yard. We need a veggie garden something awful. We had a massive one that was 1/3 of our yard at the old house. The yard was gorgeous, patio with a pool, huge garden with a white picket fence, massive play area on the far side. Again, why did we move??
Hope you like the grilled asparagus. Also really hoping you like the new series. Watch for it every Tuesday for the duration of the summer. It may get so hot it pops up 2 or 3 times a week to be honest. We’ll see how it goes. And just to taunt you here is a pic of the tenderloin steak I enjoyed with my grilled asparagus.
Toodles and smoochies! xx