I thought an update on what’s been happening around the blog and life in general is in order. I haven’t posted a lunatic loves in 3 weeks so lots to tell you. Since you know Lunie loves her lists we’ll do it that way. *grins*
1. We’re prepping for our trip cross-country, well two to be exact. We’re driving my son out west to Alberta to go to school in a few weeks. We’re planning to go up through the states and we might head back through Canada. It’s a quick trip for all that we have to do. Get him an apartment, set him up, visit a school in another area mini-me is considering going to, visiting some family and trying to hit Banff. All in 10 days, including the drive there and back. So it’s going to be a whirlwind adventure. I’m looking forward to the trip but am seriously bummed I have to leave B-Dude there. Call me crazy but I like my kids home. So it’s a weird time here at the Bee household. You want them to grow up and do their own thing but it’s hard to imagine life without him here, in the house or the area. I’m sure I’ll be a weeping ball of mess when it comes time to drive away.
2. Still working hard on replacing all the lost photos from the Google+ incident. I’ve hit September of 2011 but it’s taking forever to do some of them. Apparently I put way too many photos in each post. So I have to delete the blanks then replace them with the right image from my files. The old St. Jacobs post from last year took over an hour and a half to edit. So the bottom line is it takes longer to edit than to write. I’m determined though. So keep bearing with me and soon enough there will no longer be blank black boxes on the blog.
3. I’ve decided to put a hold on my Red Faced Runners run. I emailed one of the lovely ladies to fill her in. I’ll hop on the next challenge they do. But right now with my focus on the family I’m not giving it all I need to in order to run. I figured I needed to be realistic about it since we’ll be on the road for at least 10 days prior to the race. I’d love to say I’ll work out during the trip but after 16- 18 hours a day driving that seems unlikely. They will be the last 10 days I spend with my son, and his sister all together before our lives change forever. I want to enjoy every moment of the trip without distractions. I am working out and eating better though so I haven’t thrown in the towel on getting healthier.
4. Since we’re on a health note, I’m trying to do a detox from my IBS meds. I’ve been overusing them this summer due to the heat and travelling. With our trip looming it seemed like a good idea to take a break from them for a bit. I try to do it every few months but it usually only happens once or twice a year. I always feel better afterwards but the process is, well, a freaking nightmare. I’m shooting for 1 of 2 more days then I’ll ease back on the meds. The end goal is feeling better on the trip. It’s a long way from Ontario to Alberta so tummy troubles are not welcome.
5. I am attempting to eat 3 meals a day. I know for most of you this is just normal. With me and my tummy issues I’ve learned eating equals pain and not going anywhere so for about 18 years now I’ve only eaten about 1 meal a day. Usually late at night when I’m home for the day. I know it’s horrible but it was how I was able to stay actively involved with the kids and not have to bail on every sporting event or field trip. I just learned to adapt. But it’s no way to live life. So I am trying to make healthy changes slowly and see how it goes. Right now I hate it. But I’m coping. Again the goal is to be able to eat on the trip but we’ll see if my tummy adjusts by then. If not we’ll give this another go when I return. It would be so nice to be normal and eat regular meals.
6. Mini-me is doing okay. We’re still waiting on word about the leg specialist. Honestly I love Canada but our wait times for specialists are ridiculous. Her legs are doing okay and she’s able to ride horsey so she’s managing. This achilles stuff is no joke, very painful. I’ve convinced her not to rush into any decisions this year about switching majors or career options. I told her to give it a year and see if the legs get better. Personally I think she had a small grown spurt which is how this all escalated last time. We will however scope out the other school while in Alberta since we’re there anyway. Always good to have a back up plan.
7. Boytoy (mini-me’s boyfriend) is still gone. He is in the navy reserves so he’s gone for training. He will be back next week so we’re all excited for his return. Miss having the dude hanging around the house.
8. Hubs still working out-of-town. It’s continental shifts so it takes some getting used to. He has an interview for a local job coming up but it’s temporary and in the auto industry which makes me twitchy. I remember all too well how that worked out last time. I like where he’s working now as they have a plant in Alberta so my thought is we could always relocate if both the kids wind up out there. *spoiler- evil plot in the works*
9. Loving my summer. Did one road trip with B-Dude to Toronto, another road trip with mini-me to St. Jacobs and last week we went shopping in the states. So it’s been fun to get out and whoop it up a little bit. The joys of hubs having full-time employment again. Not like we’re rolling in dough but it’s nice to not have to be cooped up in the house all the time. It’s been a fun summer so far.
10. Malia will be going for an “interview” at doggy daycare next week. I know right, how weird. I am looking into having her go maybe one or two days a week so I can work, she can play and socialize. She needs more of that. So we need to go in and have them meet her. Let’s all cross fingers, toes, eyes, legs, and t’s in the hopes she passes the “interview”. It’s not that expensive if you do a half day. I could drop her off on the way to taking mini-me to the U then pick her up when I pick mini-me up at the end of the day. Seems pretty win-win to me. I might actually get some work done in September with demon spawn off playing with her friends.
WHAT I’VE BEEN UP TO SINCE THE LAST LUNATIC LOVES (JUST CLICK THE PHOTO TO GET TO THE RECIPES AND POST):
LUNATIC’S BAKER’S DOZEN BOOKMARKS:
Wanna Be A Country Cleaver- Honey Plum Soy Chicken
From My Sweet Heart- Cosmopolitan Cocktail Bars
Just One Cookbook- Cherry Ice Cream
Kiran Tarun- Rainier Cherry Tart
Steamy Kitchen- Very Best Mashed Potatoes
Leite’s Culinaria: recipe by Cory Schrieber- Stone Fruit Slump
Just A Taste- Confetti Corn with Bacon
Buttercream Blondie- Sprinkle Cookie Cake
Coupon Clipping Cook- Stuffed Shells in Simple Sauce
A Canadian Foodie- Homemade Mascarpone Cheese
Juanita’s Cocina- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes
Kitchen Riffs- Homemade Grenadine
Delicieux- Pistachio Cookies
LUNATIC’S PICK FOR OUTSTANDING RECIPE:
Closet Cooking- Black Forest Pancakes ( I don’t usually do commentary on these thing but have you seen these things yet? OMFreakingG they are gorgeous!)
LUNATIC WILL BE MAKING AS SOON AS SHE GOES TO THE STORE:
Full Belly Sisters- Cannoli Ice Cream with Pistachios and Dark Chocolate
LUNATIC’S CHALLENGE FOR SEPTEMBER:
Sweetopia- Lemon Cookies (Okay again I don’t usually offer commentary but these are divine. And I just have to add how sweet Marian is. I got a note from her telling me if I need help to let her know. I mean seriously how many people are that nice. So I have these pencilled in to make when I return home from Alberta. I’ve never made anything this fancy before so I may be taking the lovely Marian up on her offer.)
Hopefully some sleep, packing and more time with the family. Plus a bunch of recipes and stuff.
Thanks for reading folks. Hope you enjoyed this week’s very, very, very long post. While I have your undivided attention I just want to let my fellow bloggers know I am still reading y’all, I’m just really bogged down with life right now. Only 3 weeks left until our lives are altered forever. So I hope you all understand my priorities right now. I visit when I can, comment when I can, and share things when I can. My time is just more limited these days. Don’t give up on me. Another month and I’ll be stalking you all and driving you crazy again. Till then we’re enjoying our time as a family while we still have everyone under one roof. And busily preparing ourselves and the blog for our adventure. Yup, even the blog gets factored into the vacation. You can look forward to some great guest posts while I’m gone. I’ll also try to post a photo per day of our road trip madness.
Does any notice I use the words “whipped up” too much?
Toodles and smoochies! xx