Happy Thanksgiving Monday to all my Canuck friends and family. Hope you are still eating yourselves silly today. It’s the one weekend you can eat like a linebacker and get away with it. So enjoy it while it lasts. Cuz you all know tomorrow is going to be all about a lot of us stepping on the scale and screaming. Our American friends will hear the collective gasps of horror and know their time is coming. Won’t be long till we’ll hear their screams next month.
Today is The Secret Recipe Club reveal. This month I was assigned a fabulous blog called The Weekend Gourmet. I was thrilled to get Wendy’s blog. We also belong to Sunday Supper together so I was thrilled to see her name in my inbox. I just knew I was going to find tons of cool recipes to pull from. I mean she is a powerhouse in the kitchen. She cooks up meals and snacks and ice cream. I was really drawn to her Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter Brownie Fudge Sundaes but there’s not enough of us peanut butter lovers in the house right now. So I’m saving that until Christmas time. I want to make it for my brother when he comes over. He’s a peanut butter nut. After looking at tons of recipes and making myself seriously hungry I saw that she had a popcorn category. Naturally I went to take a look see. I knew immediately the s’mores had to be made. Such a cool idea. You know me and popcorn. It’s a huge love of mine. Like stalker kind of love. Like lock me up and throw away the key kind of love.
I heard through the grapevine that popcorn is off limits to anyone with diverticulitis. I may have bawled like a little baby when I heard that. I could not wrap my head around a life without popcorn so I started doing some research, and by research I mean “google”. Turns out Dr. Oz says that popcorn thing is a rumour. Seriously, I now love Dr. Oz. Like stalker kind of love. Like stand outside his window and stare while eating popcorn kind of love. So I’ve tested it out and here’s what I learned. I can eat popcorn in moderation. I can eat popcorn if I am feeling well. If I try to eat it while I’m already flared up, well, that’s not a good idea. But day to day it doesn’t seem to bother me. I’m still in the learning phase so experimenting is how I figure out what I can eat and what’s off limits. I’m happy to report Lunie can continue her love affair with popcorn. And Dr. Oz.
- 10 cups popcorn
- 16 ounces milk chocolate for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mallow bits
- 24 graham cookies, broken or smashed
- 2 to 4 ounces of milk chocolate, shaved or cut into pieces
- Pop your popcorn. I do mine old school on the stove. Take a large stock pot and pour veggie or canola oil so it covers the bottom of the pot. Turn on medium heat and let it get hot but not scorching hot. Dump in 1 cup of kernels, and let them start to warm up. I don’t cover yet. Every little bit give the stock pot a swirl or shake. Once the first piece pops cover the pot. Turn heat down one notch. Let it start to pop like crazy. Right at the point it just starts to slow down, I take mine off the heat and let the rest pop. This keeps it from burning.
- Now take 10 cups of popcorn and dump it out on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Melt ½ your chocolate and butter in the microwave. Check it every 30 seconds and stir, it should only take 1 minute to 1½ minutes to cook. Now drizzle all over the popcorn.
- Take ½ your mallow bits and pour over top.
- Take half your graham crumbs and toss over top.
- Now melt the second batch of chocolate and repeat.
- Toss the second batch of mallow bits over top.
- Toss the second batch of graham crumbs over top.
- Stir them around.
- Toss shaved chocolate over top.
- Pop in the fridge for a bit to set up if you like. Or leave out and it’ll dry up on its own.
- Serve with a big old I miss summer smile!
Cool right. I just love me some funky popcorn. You can change this up and use dark chocolate. I know a lot of people love the dark and it does photograph better. But I’m a milk chocolate kind of gal. Just the way it is.
Thanks to Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet for such a cool recipe. I did not change too much about it. I called it “slightly adapted” but that might even be a stretch. I only changed up a few minor things to suit my own taste. That’s the cool thing about recipes. People get all freaked out and intimidated by recipes, or won’t try something cuz they don’t like one ingredient. Live dangerously people. Change stuff up and experiment. It’s how you learn. Be fearless in the kitchen, if it fails just have your kids run to the store for more ingredients. I mean that is why we all have kids right.? To run errands for us once their old enough. If you’re kids aren’t old enough to run to the store just keep a place that deliveries on speed dial. See, I’m always helpful. Putting out fires everywhere I go. Miss helpful extraordinaire!
If you love popcorn feel free to check out these posts as well. Just click the photo for the recipe. I’m a bit of a popcorn fanatic as you can see. Enjoy!
Make sure you stop by and check out all the other SRC folks to see what they whipped up for you. You will be blown away by their awesomeness. I know I am every months.
Toodles and smoochies! xx