Hope everyone is enjoying their week so far. I thought I’d do an update since I haven’t done that in quite a while. I’ve got some link love for you. I’m also announcing winners for some giveaways. And some info on shared pinterest boards for all you food bloggers who read. So grab a cuppa and enjoy today’s post. We’ll start with giveaway winners.
Fudge Giveaway Winners:
MJ of MJ’s Kitchen!
Anne of Have a Cookie!
Jen Grimm! (Jen I’ve tried to contact you but have been unsuccessful. I need to hear back by Friday)
The three ladies mentioned above get 1 batch of my fudge, a candy thermometer, a strong wooden spoon I love for my fudge baking and a box of baker’s chocolate to help them make their own fudge! Congrats ladies.
I also decided that I wanted to send a batch of fudge to Donna of Cookistry and Lynne of Design the Life You Want to Live as well since they inspired me to write about them in the fudge post. Also Jenni from Pastry Chef Online will be getting a batch hand delivered (as long as customs doesn’t confiscate it) at Mixed at the end of the month for being such a sweetheart.
I’ll be checking with Canada Post on Thursday to make sure I won’t have any issues shipping from Canada to the states. If all goes well all the packages will be in the mail Monday. If Canada Post bawks I’ll bring the fudge cross border when I go to the conference and send it from the states at the end of the month. I don’t forsee any issues since I’ve sent stuff to the states before.
Matt Horbund of A Good Time with Wine won the Cookbook giveaway for the book A Family Farm in Tuscany. Matt my dear I’ve tried to email twice so I’m hitting you up on facebook tonight. Please get back to me as soon as possible so I can pass your address to the cookbook company. If I don’t hear back by Friday I’ll have to redraw a new winner. Thanks.
Okay so that wraps up the giveaway winners. I’ve decided I’m going to put together a gift basket of some of my vanilla experiments as a Christmas giveaway. Make sure you check back in early December for that one.
Now on to Pinterest boards. Here’s the dish on that. I’ve done up some group boards and have sent out invites to fellow bloggers. Feel free to accept or decline. No worries if you already have oodles to keep track of. If you’d like an invite to a SPECIFIC BOARD let me know. I won’t have time to manually check for a bunch of folks on every board cuz there’s oodles of them. So if you didn’t get an invite to a certain one leave me a note here and let me know which one I missed sending you. Here’s the list of group boards to date.
Any fans or readers can follow any of those by just clicking on them and following. You can follow me on Pinterest and pick all the boards or just pick the ones you like.
Boards that will become group boards later this week:
Feel free to request an invite to any one of them if I missed you. No rules, just pin what’s in the title to the board. Feel free to look around and pin anything from other bloggers you love. And make sure you pin responsibly, no pins that lead to stolen photos. Big no-no! Make sure the pin leads to the blogger’s post, we love getting hits from pinterest.
If you have any group boards you would like to invite me to feel free to shoot me an invite. I’m trying to spend a bit more time on pinterest. I stopped using it for a while just due to lack of time. But I love spending time on there at the end of the day. I usually pin while I watch tv. Sad but true. It’s just so much fun to pin things. It’s like daydreamer with real photos. So much fun!
Now a quick couple of updates on some personal stuff. I know you all love hearing my endless tales of kids, horses and health issues. Or not. I swear it’s never dull here. I could write soap operas for a living at this point. My life is endless fodder for stories. We’ll do this one list style, you know Lunie loves her lists.
1. I am doing well. Been feeling quite good actually. I’ve had two bad days since vacation. So there’s remarkable improvement. I am still attempting to eat meals, most days I’m successful in eating 3 square. For me that’s a big deal after 18 years of IBS and eating 1 meal a day. I go for a colonoscopy on the 21st. I think this might be 6 or 7, not sure. I get them done every few years since I’m considered high risk. I’ll let you know what happens. The docs in Regina told us it was diverticulitis so my gastro guy wants to confirm that. We’ll see if his opinion is the same. Up until now it’s always just been IBS.
2. I am attending Mixed at the end of the month. I am wickedly nervous about travelling after the vacation of doom. I booked a private room so I don’t have to bother others with my IBS woes, and there will be some just due to stress of travelling. I emailed them to make sure I could get a solo room before I booked. I’m also renting a car instead of taking the shuttle. This will allow me to have the freedom to not get stressed out travelling with other folks. I don’t even travel with friends and family. It just doesn’t work for me. I’m super excited to be going and meeting up with fellow foodies. It’s going to be a ton of fun. My thought was I needed to do this to test my limits. The longer I would have waited to travel after the vacation of doom the more anxiety would build. So I’m testing the waters. It will be my first solo trip without the family in my life. It’s also the first time I’ll be on a plane in over 20 years. Now you know why I booked a solo room and my own private car. Stress city! Cross fingers I can do this!
3. B-Dude doing well. He’s loving life in Calgary. I think he misses us but he is spreading his wings and I’m super proud. He’s coming home for a couple of weeks for Christmas so I’m super stoked to get him home for a while. Cannot wait to see him. Mom is taking him for a tattoo while he’s here. I did that with mini-me last year so this year B-Dude gets his turn. Yah, I’m “that” mom.
4. Mini-me has had 4 shock wave therapy treatments on her achilles. It’s hard to tell whether it’s helping. She says it is but I still see her unable to walk some days. They usually do 3 but added a 4th. Now she has a month to let it work it’s magic and then we’ll see how she’s doing. Hard to watch her in pain. She said she is finally having some pain-free days so there’s progress. Just slower than we hoped I think.
5. Knock on wood, hubs has a new job. He got laid off shortly after our vacation. It was out of left field and felt a little like the rug was pulled out from under us. He had just been extended 6 months so this was sort of shocking that they could go back on a contract like that. So he finished up last month. He’s now set to start a new job at the end of this month. It has benefits which we haven’t had for about 5 years. With all my meds this is good news. It’s still not local but we’ll cope. He needs 6 more months to get his time in order to move up in class. Then jobs become a bit easier to find locally. He did his drug and alcohol testing today and goes for a physical next week. So cross fingers this all works out and we’re back on the road to normalcy. Been a rough road with him going back to school and starting fresh. Would be nice to be normal again. Maybe shop. I miss shopping. I hear my closet crying sometimes at night. My old tattered clothes want new clothes to play with.
6. I did go in to get weighed in at my doc office. I was going to go to WW meetings but just seemed like a case of why pay them to do that when my doc can do it. So I’ll be going in every month to check in. I can fill in those other weeks at home. I tried to join WW online but I swear the Canadian site is wonky. Twice now and it keeps giving me errors. I shall try again. I would love to say I’m going to the conference thin, young and gorgeous but that is not going to happen. 18 years of abusing my metabolism is not going to be fixed overnight. I am making good headway though. I feel good so that’s a great start. I would love to join WW for recipes and support though. I also heard My Fitness Pal and Livestrong are good. Is anyone using any of those? Thoughts?
Now on to the Lunatic Loves These Links. Whew eh! Longest post evah! I haven’t done a LLTL for quite some time so I’ll give the highlights since vacation. Enjoy!
What I’ve Been Up To Since The Vacation of Doom:
Baker’s Dozen Links I’ve Loved Since The Vacation of Doom:
Hidden Ponies- Sarah’s Sweet Crescent Roll Buns
Curry and Comfort- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
Wok with Ray- Sweet and Garlicky Pork Chops
Kitchen Riffs- Roast Potatoes
Kitchen Confidante- Cherry Basil Sorbet
Coupon Clipping Cook- Candy Cookie Cones
Just One Cookbook- Karaage
Aggie’s Kitchen- Roasted Red Potatoes with Smoked Paprika
The Black Peppercorn- Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
That Skinny Chick Can Bake- Classic Macaroons
Leite’s Culinaria (Hedy Goldsmith)- Homemade Snickers Bars
Yummy Mummy Kitchen- Persimmon Salad
Eat Yourself Skinny- Broccoli Grape Harvest Salad
Lunatic’s Pick for Outstanding Recipe:
Apron and Sneakers- Strawberry and Mascarpone Swiss Roll (this is an older post but I’ve just seen it so I had to share it!)
Lunatic will be making as soon as she goes to the store:
Domestic Fits- Mini Chocolate Strawberry Party Cakes
Also you can look forward to a very special week of Christmas recipes. Some breaking news about that later this week! It’s going to be spectacular!
Toodles and smoochies! xx