Simple to make, these cookies will be a sure hit with your family, friends, and the big man himself.
Hey peeps, it’s Cookie Time on the blogosphere. All of us bloggers are mixing up tons of cookies for the holidays. We aim to please. I’m in cookie heaven with these ones. These are no bake coconut macaroon cookies, but they have extra chocolate mixed in them.
We call them Santa Cookies around here. We put them out for Santa each year. Santa just loves these cookies. He cannot get enough of them. It’s such a funny coincidence that they just happen to be my favourite cookies too. Isn’t that a coinky-dink? I know right.
I’ve been making variations of these cookies forever. I learned how to make them as a teenager. My dad just loved these cookies so it became a tradition for me to make them every year. I’ve kept that tradition going for my own kids. We make coconut macaroons every year.
I have other variations of these on the blog. You can find Mike’s Coconut Macaroons that I made way back in when I first started the blog. When I made these cookies for Real Housemoms I decided to make Mike’s variation as well since the old post was missing photos.
Then I made another version for a cookie swap a few years ago. Those were called Kim’s Nutella Cookies. They are very similar to these but they use Nutella. They are freaking amazing. We all know Nutella is everything in life. So Nutella Cookies are a dream come true.
Recently I made a version with pink coconut, called Pink Coconut Cookies. I know right, super creative with the name on those. Obviously they were pink, which is my favourite colour in the world. I made the pink cookies for Cookie Week. Every week should be cookie week.
Now we have these Santa Cookies aka No Bake Coconut Macaroon Cookies. They were originally shared on Real Housemoms. Back in the day when I used to have more time to contribute to other blogs and do things like comb my hair. Then life got super busy.
When life gets busy I still fall back to comfort food. Like cookies. Cookies like these Santa Cookies. You’re going to love them. Not only are they easy but with the added chocolates in this recipe they will knock the socks of Santa. And anyone else who munches on them.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups quick or rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment. Set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan cook the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and milk over medium-low heat until all the sugar dissolves. If it's got a nice bubble going this should take about 3 to 5 minutes, or so. Keep stirring but not obsessively, it just needs a light stir every 30 seconds or so.
- Once the sugar is dissolved add the butter, don't fret if you didn't soften it. If it's not softened just cut it into small chunks, it'll totally still work. Keep stirring until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Now add the vanilla, oats and salt. Stir until combined, then remove from the heat.
- Add the coconut, stir again. I know right, it's a lot of stirring.
- Now toss in the milk chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips. Stir again. Stop rolling your eyes at me. Stirring is good.
- You are now done stirring. Yah. Round of applause.
- Take a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop and drop the cookies onto the cookie sheets. It's okay for them to be lop-sided and not perfect. They actually look better if they are imperfect. I also suggest making some really big and some small. Since you are not baking them they don't need to be uniform in size. Making different sized ones is nice, that way wee little hooligans can grab small ones and bigger adult hooligans can grab the bigger ones. Santa can grab any size he wants as long as he leaves good gifts.
- Allow to cool completely. Good luck with this step. It's impossible not to dig right in. Quite honestly I was eating this right out of the saucepan with an ice cream scoop before I took photos. Just keepin' it real peeps. Just keepin' it real.
- Serve with a big old jolly Saint Nick smile!
Be sure to keep tuning in for more Christmas Recipes. Plus lots of Cookie Recipe options. I’ve got 2 weeks of holiday recipes coming at you starting tomorrow. Twice a day posting for two entire weeks. You’re going to love it. Everything from sweet to savoury, plus everything in between.
PIN THESE SANTA COOKIES TO YOUR FAVOURITE DESSERT BOARD!
Craving more Holiday Cookies? Check these out:
- Ginger Bears
- Ginger Horse Cookies
- Shortbread Christmas Mice
- Mini Gingerbread Houses aka Hot Chocolate Mug Perches
- Mini Sugar Cookie Houses aka Hot Chocolate Mug Perches
Toodles and Smoochies! xx