These hand pies, aka homemade pop tarts, are super easy to make. Only a few ingredients and you have fresh pies out of the oven and ready to eat in under 30 minutes. Less if you’re speedy!
I love making hand pies, they are so easy to make and you can customize them any way you like. With a family like mine where everyone has different favourites when it comes to filling being able to customize a variety of batches always comes in handy.
Hand pies are basically very similar to pop tarts. You just glaze your hand pies and toss on some sprinkles. Voila, happy kids. I’m not going to lie, you’ll end up with some very happy adults as well. I’ve never met anyone who can resist a pop tart.
If you’re like me you are a messy baker. I am always spilling things, knocking things over and generally making a mess. I keep hand towels in my pockets so I can grab them easily to wipe any messes that occur. I also use them for wiping plates and props for photos.
This leads to a lot of stained tea towels in my house. Since I use some of them in photos as well it’s important stains comes out. That’s where Resolve® Gold In-Wash Stain Remover comes in. This product will change your life. Which is always a good thing!
I pour some on the stains, then spray a little water over top. Then I use the netting from empty onion bags to scrub the stain. It works in the same way your shower pouf works. You know how well those things suds up right. Same thing with this technique.
I’ve been using this technique in varying fashion for years. We’re talking probably over 20 years. With two active kids who played a lot of sports it was essential I learn to remove everything from food stains, to grass stains to barn related stains.
It works like a charm and I hope you get a chance to try it. You will thank me. No more ruining your clothes, or tea towels. Just pour some Resolve over the stain, add a little mist of water, and give a little scrub with your netting bag. Bam, clean fabric.
Photo #2 & #3 were taken in the morning after I got done cooking. Photo #1 & #4 were taken after the laundry was washed and dried in the evening.
As you can see the light in the morning and evening in my house are way different. Food blogger problems. I love natural light but it’s not always conducive to real life.
I’m ordering professional lights this week. Go me! So excited that I’ll be able to take photos any time of the day, or night. No matter what the weather is like too. Life changing.
Swing by the Resolve Tip Exchange for more amazing tips. Share your stain removal tip and you could win a $5,000 shopping spree! Plus, weekly prizes valued at $250!
We found the product at our local Shoppers Drug Mart. Retail price is $6.87 plus appliable taxes. That’s price gives you great bang for your buck.
Official product description: The super-boosted formula is the best from Resolve®. It’s so powerful that it removes some stains in just 30 seconds! For maximum speed and power, pre-treat or soak to see results in 30 seconds.
Now on to the recipe! I hope you can make and eat them with less mess than I made. My family always laughs at my ability to trash my entire kitchen and wardrobe while cooking even the simplest thing. I am one seriously messy cook.
Easy Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay out two cookie sheets, line each with parchment. Set aside.
- On a clean counter toss a small handful of AP flour, this will help keep the pie dough from sticking.
- Take your pie dough out and roll it out gently with a rolling pin. You just want to stretch it a very little bit and try to make more of a rectangle than a circle.
- Using a knife, pastry cutter, or even a pizza wheel cut your pie dough into small rectangles, all equal in size. Lay half of them on the cookie sheets.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl, brush over top of the dough. The edges are most important, it helps to seal the edges of the pop tarts.
- In a medium bowl mix the strawberry pie filling and cinnamon. Stir well. Place a dollop in the middle of each dough you set on the cookie sheet. You want to make a line in the middle with about 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons of filling mixture. Stay away from the edges.
- Now place the remaining half of your shaped pie dough pieces over top of the filled bottom pieces.
- Gently press down the edges with your thumb or forefinger. Use a fork dusted with flour and press down all around the edges. If you have any uneven spots you can trim the edges with a pastry wheel.
- If you are not putting icing on them you can brush the top with the egg wash again. If you are using icing on top I'd skip the wash personally.
- Poke a few small holes in the top of each pop tart. Nothing drastic.
- Place the first cookie sheet in the oven and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Repeat with second cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl mix confectioners sugar and milk really well. You can make the glaze thicker by adding more confectioners sugar. Or you can make it thinner by adding more milk. Everyone likes theirs a bit different so adjust to your own taste. You can add food colouring if you like, or even extracts for added flavour.
- Once the pop tarts are cooled completely you can put the icing on. You can either drizzle in lines over top, or use an offset spatula to spread it more evenly. Your choice.
- Toss sprinkles over top.
- Enjoy with a big old homemade strawberry pop tart loving smile.
Sometimes I make mine completely from scratch and other days I’ll go the easy route. It sort of depends how out of control my life is at any given moment. If you’re a regular reader you know I took some time off this summer to spend with family. Which was amazing.
The day before I returned to work I promptly got very sick. So I was off work another week, unable to cook, or pretty much get off the couch. When I finally got back in the kitchen I knew making fast and easy recipes the first few days was essential.
So I whipped up these incredibly easy pop tarts and could not be happier with how cute they are. They also lead to another cool recipe invention by my daughter. One I will be sharing very soon. You’re going to love it. In the meantime make these Easy Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts.
Pretty amazing how fast you can whip them up if you use pre-made crust and filling. If you prefer homemade I’ve got another version coming up soon that will blow your mind. Hint: Chocolate.
Make sure you check out my recipe index while you’re here. There’s so many great recipes in there to browse through. You can also follow me on Pinterest for tons of recipe inspiration. If you have a request feel free to email me. I really enjoy hearing from my readers.