These hot dogs are grilled to perfection, then topped with jalapeno peppers, salsa, cheese, sour cream and avocados. This recipe is a real crowd pleaser!
This post has been sponsored by Tyson Foods, Inc. and features Ball Park® Hot Dogs. All opinions are my own, as always. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support Cravings of a Lunatic.
I’m so excited for summer. It’s all about grilling, cook-out’s, picnics, and camping trips. Nothing beats cooking outdoors! Whether it’s over a grill, or a campfire, nothing can compare to cooking over an open flame.
I grew up camping. My Dad was an avid outdoorsman. We camped from the time I was little until the time I left home. Then we camped some more. Traditions need to be upheld.
My Dad a pop-up camper, and would haul that thing with us all over Canada and the states every summer. We didn’t just go away on weekends. When we camped it was for 5 or 6 weeks at a time.
We would travel all over the country, hitting every provincial park and national park on the map until we hit our destination. It was just what we did. We grew up exploring and being adventurous.
I have the best memories of that time of my life. We camped, hiked, backpacked, canoed, climbed mountains and got to see the world in the process. That’s the good stuff. The part of life that makes everything else worthwhile.
We always had a blast cooking on these trips. We would take turns cooking so everyone got a chance to be creative. Travelling with 3 dudes made for some interesting meals. The boys liked to experiment. Big time.
One of our favourite things to grill was hot dogs, especially Ball Park® Hot Dogs. It was always fun to see who could be the most creative. My oldest brother usually won when it came to hot dogs. He could rock them like no one else.
I think this recipe would have won first prize at any our hot dog contests. I picked up a stack of Ball Park® Hot Dogs and all the fixings at Kroger. It’s where I go when I want to shop for everything I need quickly.
We’re big Kroger fans. Being a food blogger means we shop for food a lot. Testing recipes every day means I go through a TON of food. So we’re at the store every single day. Stores where I can shop quickly make my job easier.
Ball Park Hot Dogs is kicking off their “Life’s an Adventure” campaign. Visit the website to try out 4 unique adventures. Unlock each adventure with one easy question. You’ll find savings, fun downloads for the kids, and inspiration for a fun summer.
My goal for this campaign was to recreate the camping experience of my youth. I think I succeeded in doing that. This recipe is packed with flavour and perfect for all your camping, and grilling needs. Pile the toppings nice and high.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Mexican Hot Dogs
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a small bowl combine taco seasoning and olive oil. Mix well with a whisk. Brush onto the hot dogs, coating all the sides evenly. Drain off excess.
- Prep all the ingredients so they're ready to go once the hot dogs are cooked.
- Place the hot dogs on the bottom rack of the grill and cook for about 7 to 9 minutes, turning every so often so they cook evenly. Move any that cook quicker than others to the top rack to keep warm. Keep a close eye for flare ups because you coated them with oil. If you're grill runs hot you can cook them on medium-low heat. Or cook them on the top rack to ensure they don't burn. The key is to know your grill and watch your hot spots.
- Once the hot dogs are perfectly cooked remove from the grill, and place on a platter.
- Lightly butter the buns and place on the grill for about 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove and place on platter.
- Once everything is ready you can start to stack your dogs.
- Top each hot dog with jalapeno peppers, salsa, cheese, sour cream, avocados and cilantro.
- Serve with a big old hot dog loving smile!
I know right. Now that’s a hot dog!
Set up an indoor campground if you can’t head into the wilderness this weekend. Grill up some Ball Park® Hot Dogs and have a camping party.