How to make pistachio brittle in the microwave. This quick and easy brittle recipe is sure to be a hit during the holiday season, and all year long!
Honestly, I love the holidays. There’s something about Christmas that just makes me ridiculously happy.
I love spending time with my family and just chilling out together. We laugh, we cook, we eat, and we bake.
To be honest, baking ranks high on my list of favourite things to do during the holidays.
This year I decided I wanted to take some pressure of myself. Let’s be honest, 2020 is a bit bizarre. Certainly, we’re all just coping any way we can.
So, this recipe is quick, easy and made in the microwave. You’re welcome!
- Sugar – I used granulate sugar for this recipe. I would not recommend anything else.
- Corn Syrup – Yes, I know, a lot of folks hate corn syrup but it’s useful for this particular recipe.
- Pistachios – Use shelled pistachios for this recipe. You can use toasted pistachios for more flavour if you like.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Extract – I used vanilla extract but feel free to swap it for another flavour if you like.
- Baking Soda – This is important for the recipe to work properly so DO NOT substitute or omit this one!
- Optional – I added Demerara sugar to sprinkle over top of the brittle.
How to Make Microwave Pistachio Brittle:
- First of all, be careful when handling the candy while making this. It’s super hot and can burn you. Don’t let your kids do this alone. Supervise them if they want to make it with you.
- Then, grab a rimmed cookie sheet or baking pan. Set aside.
- Next, add sugar and corn syrup to a large glass measuring cup or microwave safe glass container. Stir with a spoon.
- Place the measuring cup in the microwave and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Be careful when handling it.
- Then, remove the measuring cup from the microwave and add the shelled pistachios to it. Pop the measuring cup back in the microwave and cook for about 3 minutes. Again, be carful while handling it!
- Next, remove the measuring cup from the microwave and add butter and vanilla. It may bubble up, that’s okay, just carefully give it a stir. Place it back in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the measuring cup from the microwave and add baking soda to it. Mix it for about 20 to 30 seconds until the foaming slows down.
- Then, pour the mixture onto the pan you set aside earlier. Smooth it out.
- Next, sprinkle the Demerara sugar over top, if desired.
- Lastly, allow the candy to cool completely. Then break into pieces.
How to Store Microwave Pistachio Brittle:
- To clarify, DO NOT put the brittle in the fridge. The moisture will actually ruin it!
- Store the brittle in an airtight container away from moisture.
- One quick tip is to layer the brittle between waxed paper or parchment paper when you store it. It helps keep it fresher for longer.
- It will keep for 6 to 8 weeks at room temperature.
Can You Freeze Brittle:
- Yes, you actually can freeze it. Which seems odd after just telling you not to put in the fridge. The key is following the right steps.
- First of all, be sure to allow the peanut brittle to cool completely before packing it up.
- Next, I recommend using waxed paper or parchment paper to separate the pieces. It will help prevent moisture from ruining your brittle.
- Make sure you use a container that made for the freezer and that it seals tightly. The key to freezing it is avoiding any moisture from turning the brittle into a sticky mess.
- While some folks store theirs in freezer bags. Honestly, I’m not a huge fan because it’s harder to seal it well. Unless you have a vacuum sealer, then go for it!
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it at room temperature. Do not put it in the fridge!
Other Holiday Recipe:
- No Bake Coconut Macaroon Cookies
- Microwave Peanut Brittle
- White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Balls
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- 4 Ingredient Red Velvet Swirl Fudge
- Gingerbread Fudge
- Coconut Filled Sandwich Cookies
- Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Microwave Pistachio Brittle
- 2 tsp Demerara sugar
- CAUTION: Be super careful not to touch the liquid during the cooking process! Do NOT lick the spoon. It's wicked hot and can burn you. I know it's tempting but don't do it!! Seriously! Use common sense, people!
- Place a rimmed cookie sheet or baking pan aside for later.
- In a large glass measuring cup, or microwave safe container, combine sugar and corn syrup. Stir with a spoon.
- Place the measuring cup in the microwave and cook for 4 minutes. The mixture is going to get extremely hot so don't touch the mixture by accident, or on purpose. Use your noggins, peeps.
- Remove the measuring cup from the microwave and add the shelled pistachios to the measuring cup and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes. Do NOT touch the mixture, it's flipping hot!
- Remove the measuring cup from the microwave and add butter and vanilla, it may bubble up, it's okay, just stir until well combined. Place back in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute. Again, do not touch it, this stuff is piping hot.
- Add the baking soda to the measuring cup and mix for about 20 to 30 seconds while the foaming slows down. Once it's all settled you can pour it onto an ungreased cookie sheet, or large pan. Smooth out with a scraper or the back of a spoon. I spray the back of a spoon with non-stick spray then smooth mine out that way. If desired you can toss some demerara sugar over top of the surface. Allow the candy to cool completely.
- Break into pieces by hand or use a toffee hammer. You can eat it right away or store it in airtight container.
- Serve with a big old candy loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
After that, please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes as well as fun DIY projects.
Lastly, be sure to follow me on Instagram. It’s actually a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.