Hi folks. So here's the thing. When planning to make a cake you must do these things:
Make sure you have all the ingredients needed!
Make sure you have all the tools needed!
Make sure you do it well in advance of when it is needed!
I did none of those things.
But look at this pretty cake!
This was part of the Crazy Cooking Challenge. Once a month we all make a recipe from another blog we pick ourselves. Then on a specified date we all post those recipes. It's always fun to participate in these kinds of things. This month it was chocolate cake so I think everyone was excited to make it. Life has been a bit more hectic here at the Bee household than normal so I got to this really late. When someone is sick everything that is planned tends to go to hell in a handbasket. When it's your kid it goes to hell in a handbasket and that handbasket gets tossed over a cliff. Just the way it is.
I chose to use La Mia Vita Dolce to use as inspiration. Such a gorgeous blog and beautiful food. I knew I wanted to do red velvet cake so when I saw the Red Velvet Cake there I knew it was what I was doing. I made a couple of changes, more due to time than anything else. The cake is the same but we don't like cream cheese frosting here so I opted to use the Fluffy Vanilla Frosting instead. I did make the raspberry filling but time did not allow for me to use it. So I can just use it on something else.
- Ingredients for Cake:
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 and ½ cups cake flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ cups caster superfine sugar
- 1 and ½ cups walnut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring I used the gel type
- 1 cup buttermilk I did not have any so I took 1 cup of milk and added 1 ¾ teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners icing/powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- I also added about 2 tablespoons of milk to loosen it up a bit more
- Directions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter, grease or spray your pan/pans with non stick spray.
- Sift flour, cocoa and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
- In a mixer whisk sugar and oil until well combined.
- Add your eggs one at a time and whisk in between each addition.
- Add your vanilla and food coloring and mix again.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the mixer alternating between them.
- In a small bowl add your vinegar and baking soda together. Let it bubble and then stir it and add it to the mixer. Whisk for 10 seconds.
- Pour the batter into whatever pans you want to use. I chose bundt.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Directions for Frosting:
- In a mixer blend you butter till soft and smooth.
- Add sugar a little at a time and keep adding and mixing till it is fluffy.
- Add vanilla and mix again.
- If icing is too thick add some milk to it.
- Putting the Cake Together:
- Place you cake on a plate.
Make sure you stop by all the other lovely blogs who did recipes this month. Lots of yumminess out there today.
Toodles and smoochies.xx