Okay so I made Paula Deen's Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits. Can you say yummilicious? I know I can. Especially after eating these things. So good.
I now know why she put the pistachios in the cream. To avoid the parfait glasses looking like they are dusty from the pistachios bits. I laughed my butt off when I looked at all my photos and realized it looks like I used unclean glasses. Live and learn. And I mean if hitting my learning curve means eating copious amounts of things like this, well, I can totally stand to keep on learning,
I only did a couple of things different from Miss Paula. I used juice instead of alcohol to macerate the berries. I love macerated berries and could eat them every day, With my IBS I cannot use alcohol though. So I used orange juice. Not just any orange juice either. I happened on some satsumas at the store which blew my mind. So I picked up a case and I used some to macerate the strawberries. So much better than alcohol. If you ever see satsuma oranges you must buy them. I also of course did not put the pistachios in the cream. I omitted the cinnamon. I left out the chocolate chips as well. I adjusted the cream a bit. Not much. I mean who am I to mess with Paula perfection right.
Hope you enjoy and make this yourself. Just be sure you use clean parfait glasses!
Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios
- Cut up your strawberries. Slice oranges in half and squeeze the juice over the berries. If your oranges are large you could cut this down to 2.
- Place the berries in a glass container and stick in the fridge for about 2 to 4 hours. Give it a shake every hour if you can.
- Now in a mixer combine your heavy cream and confectioners sugar. Whip until peaks form.
- Place your ricotta in a large bowl. Stir in ½ the whipped cream and mix a bit. Then add other ½ and fold it in.
- Place a layer of crushed cookies in the bottom of your glasses.
- Add a layer of strawberries.
- Add a light layer of pistachios.
- Add a layer of cannoli cream.
- Repeat steps for a second layer.
- Top with chopped pistachios.
- Add a strawberry garnish on top.
- Refrigerate for about an hour or more.
- Serve with a big old strawberry, cannoli-y, pistachio smile!
I sure hope everyone is enjoying their weekends. I'm hoping to feel well enough to hit the Art in the Park tomorrow. Mini-me is doing a bit better. Luckily my brother works with her at the grocery store so he was able to cover for her this morning. Thank goodness for kind family members. Ken you rock! She is however making pizza for half the town tonight. It's her night to close. So if half of our hometown is sick tomorrow I apologize. I'm not sure she could get two nights off in a row. If you live in Essex I would recommend not ordering pizza tonight. Unless you want a side of flu. Just sayin'!
Toodles and smoochies! xx