These little toasted coconut and cherry hand pies are absolutely scrumptious. Plus they are incredibly easy to make which is a huge perk!
I freaking love my mixer. I use it daily. It's my go to machine for all my baking needs. That sucker is whirring every single day. Usually multiple times per day!
Mine actually broke this week. We'll call it over-use. Nothing serious, the whisk attachment broke so I have to order a new one. Not going to lie though, I am scheming to convince the family that I need a brand spanking new one. They don't seem to believe me. I'll keep trying though!
This may be the only recipe that doesn't use my mixer on my blog. And only because the darn thing broke. Not sure if you have a stand mixer or not but if you ever get the opportunity to snag one jump on it. You'll never regret the purchase.
So Happy Holidays. To celebrate let's have some Toasted Coconut and Cherry Hand Pies. They are delightfully easy, and a real hit at parties. Whip up a quick batch today!
More Dessert Recipes:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies
- Cherry Almond Macaroon Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie Dip
- The Best Brownies in the World
- Apple Hand Pies
- Banana Coconut Sweet Bread
- Turtles Hand Pies
- Pink Lemonade Hand Pies
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Instagram ~ YouTube ~ Kiss My Smoke
Toasted Coconut and Cherry Hand Pies
- 2 pkg pillsbury pie crust
- 21 oz cherry pie filling
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp milk you can substitute water if you like
- In a pan over medium heat heat the coconut, keep moving it about with a wooden spoon until it becomes golden on the edge. You can toast lightly, or dark. You can also speed up the process slightly by adding a tiny bit of brown sugar to the pan. The whole process should only take between 5 to 7 minutes, depending on your heat. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll the Pillsbury dough out. Cut out heart shapes with a heart shaped cookie cutter. You can use any shape you like, I just think the hearts are cute. I got he extra mile and cut a small heart in all the tops for venting. But you don't have to.
- Place half the cutouts on the cookie sheets.
- Now mix the toasted coconut with the cherry pie filling. Spoon some into each heart. Leave space around the edges to seal the pies.
- Make the egg wash by whisking the egg and milk together in a bowl. You can use this to help seal the edges of the pie, and also to coat the top to help them brown beautifully. Brush a little around the edges of all the pies.
- Place tops on all the pies. Now press the edges down all the way around to seal them. You can use your fingers or a fork dipped in either water, or flour. Press firmly all the way around the edges.
- Brush egg wash on tops of all the pies.
- Place the cookie sheets in the oven and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes. Start checking at about 12 minutes since every oven is a bit different. Once the tops are golden you can remove the pies.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.
- Serve with a big old cherry loving smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
If you’re looking for more dessert recipes be sure to check out my recipe index. You can also find a lot more pie recipes as well.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest while you’re here. I love pinning great recipes! Also, make sure you follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date with the blog.
Angie | Big Bear's Wife
I use my mixer all of the time and would be totally lost without it! Hope the new part comes soon! <3 But oh these hand pie looks so cute! I love the heart taken out to show the filling!
Colleen (Souffle Bombay)
These are SO stinkin' cute!! LOVE the cutout! I think I want to eat ALL of your hand pies! Good luck getting the new mixer 😉
Yvonne [Tried and Tasty]
These are so cute! I've never made a hand pie, but these would be great to start with!
Rose | The Clean Dish
Sorry to hear about your mixer! What an awesome excuse to buy a new one though 😉
I am so totally in love with these cherry hand pie - they couldn't be more perfect! Obviously, these a great for Valentine's Day but I would make these anytime of the year to surprise my sweetheart!