Vegan Sloppy Black-Eyed Peas
Wonderful New Orleans inspired Sloppy Joe Recipe from the cookbook, Vegan Slow Cooking by Kathy Hester. This recipe is Vegan, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, and can be made GF as well. Plus it's just plain delicious and will make you taste buds super happy!
Servings: 2 and 1/2 cups (483 g)
For the Morning Ingredients:
- 2 cups 475 ml water
- 1/3 cup 48 g dry black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup 43 g carrots, chopped
- 1/6 cup 19 g millet
- 2 tablespoons 19 g minced bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke to taste
For the Evening Ingredients:
- 1 cup 56 g minced greens (collard, kale, etc)
- 2 tablespoons 32 g tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 buns for serving (GF)
In the Evening:
About 30 minutes before you wish to serve this you need to add the greens and tomato paste. Cover and allow to cook for the remaining 30 minutes. (I left mine on for about an hour as I was multi-tasking)
Right before serving add the salt and pepper, along with more cajun seasoning if desired.
Pile the sloppy mixture on your buns.
Serve with a big old happy and sloppy smile!