Black Forest Bark for Christmaspalooza

Hi folks!

Took Malia aka Demon Spawn of Satan in to get her staples removed this morning. She was spayed last week. Oddly we all forgot she was supposed to be microchipped as well so we had that done this morning. This poor little puppy has been through the ringer the last couple of weeks. Luckily she is good natured and a bundle of energy so she just bounces back. She did however pee all over the table when the vet assistant gave her attention. She gets way too excited. We rarely have visitors these days so she is not socialized enough. I need to get her out and about after Christmas, buckle down on her training. After last weekend’s “I want to eat mini-me’s bf” incident, I really think we need puppy boot camp. Our last dog was so well behaved. I just need to devote my full attention to her for awhile and get her on track to puppy stardom.

Okay so enough babbling and on to what you came here for. I found this great recipe on Baker’s Royale. Remember the whole “I thought I discovered Turtle Bark” episode. When I was searching all the other people who made Turtle Bark before me, I happened across this super cool recipe for Black Forest Bark on her site. Me being the Black Forest monger that I am I just had to try it. I tweaked a bit. Not sure how I feel about the results. Am thinking I should have stuck with the original on this one. She used dried cherries, I used candied cherries. Not sure but I think the moisture in them caused some issues with blooming. Still tastes awesome but Baker’s Royale’s version is much prettier than mine. This is what happens when your teenage daughter has her bf over for the first time and you are distracted by that and the fact that your puppy is trying to eat him, and is suddenly his best friend and wants to kill mini-me every time she laughs or smiles at him. Poor Kelvin. Kid may never come back.

Black Forest Bark
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert, Candy, Chocolate

• 6 oz semi sweet chocolate
  • 6 oz white chocolate
  • 1 to 3 drops red food colouring
  • ¾ cup candied cheries, cut up
  1. Place two pots on your stove part way filled with water. Bring them to a boil then turn them to simmer or just slightly above a simmer.
  2. Now place heat proof bowls over top of the water but NOT touching it. (You can use a double boiler if you have one, I just don’t happen to have one)
  3. Place your semi sweet chocolate in one bowl.
  4. Place your white chocolate in the other bowl.
  5. Now melt them, stirring with DIFFERENT spoons as they melt.
  6. Cut up your cherries into chunky pieces. Set aside.
  7. Once the white chocolate is melted add the red food colouring to make it pink.
  8. Now line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment and pour the semi sweet into the pan.
  9. Now haphazardly drop the pink in chunks here and there randomly.
  10. Now take a knife or toothpick and swirl it around a bit.
  11. Now toss your cherries on top.
  12. Pop this in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
  13. Break apart by hand or cut with a knife. I have to admit I like the by hand method. I don’t like clean edges on bark. I like it to look like you just took a long piece of it and whacked it.
  14. Serve as gifts or eat it all up yourself. Enjoy!

Adapted from: Baker’s Royale

Pretty? Not so much. Delicious? Hellz to the Yah!

This post is part of Christmaspalooza 2011!

Comments

All I can say is YUM!! I already made some peppermint cookie bark, so I'm bookmarking this one for next year!!!

@Cindy- Thanks. I still need to do peppermint. I did do peppermint ice cream though. Love the holidays. Thanks for coming by.

Dusty Coyote says:

Thanks for the nice comment. I'm afraid you caught my one and only recipe post. This, however, looks delicious and rich. I love chocolate and cherries together. Your ramblings on are hysterical, great stuff.

Gosh, I'm loving Christmaspolooza! Can you send some of your energy this way??? Another fabulous bark…so gorgeous and festive! I sure wish someone could come up with a way to temper chocolate that wasn't such a pain…but I don't see any bloom from here :)

Torviewtoronto says:

this looks wonderful lovely gift idea as well

Christine's Pantry says:

Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe with us.

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar says:

Drools happily all over Kim's blog page and leaves to go cook Christmasy things*

Buzzed ya through the drool of course

Lovely!These look so yummy and beautiful!Thanks for sharing :)

Curry and Comfort says:

I love the cherries with the chocolate… a great combination. Hope your daughter's finals go well and your visit with your Aunt is a good one. One week to the big day.. Christmas!! Yay! :)

Anne@frommysweetheart says:

This looks scrumptious Kim! I am loving your 'bark' series…whether you intended it or not! So I hope you keep them coming! You are right…such a busy time of year. This week in particular! Hope you get your tree and mini you has a great break from classes! : )

Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

LOVE IT!!

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com says:

Our puppy wetted with excitement for what seemed like the longest time! When we first got her she slept in a crib – long story – and when we'd get up in the morning she would be so excited the day started with a clean up. At least we're past that stage! Hope your Christmas cheer finds you soon. It is tough sometimes but somehow putting up a tree makes things better, if only a little. That bark might make things a whole lot better…

I dunno, Kim! This looks really delicious as it is! I can understand the moisture concerns and the logic of dried cherries – but the candied cherries is SO festive! Delicious!

you always can make everything look delicious Kim… and preparing everything for a big day like Christmas is exhausting, hope your day will getting better and your Christmas can brighten your day

Cheers..

I am thinking that yours is much more Christmas-y with the big huge RED cherries than a dried cherry confection would be. Dried cherries, though delicious, tend to be a bit nondescript, don'tcha think? So, if you make everyone look at the bark from a side angle, like in the photos, no one will notice any bloom. Just hold the plate above their heads and make them reach. It'll work. Really.

Pegasuslegend says:

awesome job here! HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} says:

oh my goodness, Kim! These look amazing! Love the candies cherries, way much better than the dried or maraschino ones!
    Happy Holidays!

Oh woooow…those look amazing, Kim!!! Love your recipe and I love how delicious it is..can I have one please:)))(or two)

celiacasaurus.com says:

I love that this is your idea of "keeping it snappy", I think we have the same disease :)
    The bark looks super good. I love anything chewy, and those cherries look oh so chewy- yum.

Marina {Yummy Mummy) says:

I would really love a piece of this right now with my coffee :) I hope you're enjoying the holiday cooking as much as I am – looks like you are! Hey, are you a horse person? I noticed the pic on your SU page. I grew up riding so that caught my eye :) I just posted a yummy soup, so come on over!

Beth Michelle says:

What a lovely bark! I am a sucker for anything black forest as well. So yummy!

@Dusty Coyote- Lol, that's okay. I like the site so I shall return even without recipes. Lol. And thank you so much. I do love to ramble.

@Lizzy- Lol, it's called pepsi, by the truckload. I am telling ya this is the first time it bloomed. I blame hubs, I am sure it was his fault some how, some way! Lol. Tempering is a pain. I find if I buy the good stuff I don't need to. Think I got a bad batch. And thank you. I adore Christmas. I tend to be like Buddy the Elf on speed.

@torviewtoronto- Thank you.

@Christine- Thanks so much!

@Janet- Lol, as long as your wiping and buzzing it's all good.

@Soni- Thanks so much.

@Curry and Comfort- Thanks so much. The kids rocked their classes and finals. Very proud of them.

@Anne- You are so sweet. Thank you so much. Mini-me did really good.

@Jen- Thanks so much!

@Cheryl and Adam- Good to know she'll outgrow it. She is a growing concern. Puppy boot camp is imminent. Thanks so much for your kind words. I adore you guys!

@Ann- Thanks my dear. I have to say this one tastes great. I love anything cherry related.

@Tya- Aw, you are so sweet. Thank you so much.

@Kristen- I cannot stop laughing. I could really have some fun with idea of holding it up over everyone's head. Lol! You are always so sweet. Thank you!

@Claudia- Thank dear, you too!

@Roxana- Thank you so much. Glad you like them. Happy Holidays to you too!

@Sandra- I shall save you ten. How's that? Lol!

@celiac- I swear this is quick for me. Lol! Thanks so much.

@Marina- Thanks so much. I am having a blast. My waistline, not so much. And yes we are. We have a little arabian horse. She is a doll. I am working for a friend for the next few weeks who's out of town so we get to play with her arab, thor and friesan mix. Should be fun. I saw that soup and almost passed out. That snowflake is pure genius!

@Beth Michelle- Thank you so much. I love black forest too. Hoping to do a wonderful recipe with it for Xmas if I have time.

Jill Colonna says:

Hope you managed to get that tree up in the end. Loving that Christmas poolza and festive photos with the yummy bark flavours. I'm needing some of your energy, too, please – and make that snappy! :-) Happy holidays from Paris!

Grubarazzi says:

Nom nom nom. I love the candied cherries on this bark!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

I love these bark recipes you have been sharing with us! This one looks really delicious with the cherries! I'm sure once you have your tree up, you will get into the Christmas spirit!

Gotta tell ya, this looks pretty good to me! Distracted & everything. :) Love the cherries on top. Yum!!

On another note, my puppy used to pee anytime anyone would come over. He finally got over that, unless its my mom then he pees all over my stepdads shoes…kind of hilarious. I'm sure she'll come around.

Sandy @Southwestgirl says:

Congratulations on today's Top 9! This looks gorgeous!
    My husband LOVES Black Forest Cake… can't wait to make this and put it in his stocking. I'm thinking it will be perfect for Valentine's Day, too!

Congratulations Kim on the Top 9!!

Buttercream Blondie says:

Congrats on Top 9! This bark looks so yummy! Great gift too, if I didn't eat it all ;) Keep meaning to tell you, I LOVE your pretty pepperminty ice cream! It's so pinkalicious :)

Adele Forbes says:

Very nice….and just perfect for Christmas. Thank you so very much for sharing!

Chic & Gorgeous Treats says:

Congrats for making top 9 Kim Bee!! The black forest bark is such a great gift. I don't think it will last that long in my home.. Happy Christmas!! xoxo

Haha – I stay faaaar away from candied cherries! For some reason, as much as I love fresh ones, candied/pickled/whatevered cherries just don't work for me. Great color on your bark, though!

Sounds easy and looks delicious!

1. […] oats. I also did up some cookies in a jar for some people. Then I whipped up some Turtle Bark, Black Forest Bark, Coconut Bark, Hot Fudge Sauce and Slow Cooker Snack Mix for some family members. Yup, being in […]