This 30 Minute Chicken Vegetable Skillet Pasta is super quick and easy to make. It uses simple ingredients for a meal the whole family will love!
Quick and easy chicken pasta recipes are the perfect way to feed a crowd. On busy days we all want to be able to get a delicious dinner on the table in under 30 minutes without sacrificing taste.
To be honest, this girl LOVES her pasta. I keep my pantry stocked with loads of dried pasta so I can whip up a quick and tasty meal any day of the week. Pasta is my go-to, especially when life is crazy.
This chicken recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breasts, bell peppers and fabulous flavoured dried pasta. I mean, I could actually eat this EVERY single day. It's so freaking delicious!
Honestly, I absolutely love fresh bell peppers so I used them in this recipe. You could easily mix it up and swap out other veggies or add more in. You do you!
If you have fresh parsley you can use it. If you don't have fresh parsley you can use dried parsley. Some days it's easier to use dried herbs. Don't sweat the small stuff.
- Pasta - I recommend penne or rigatoni for this pasta. You could also use bow or campanelle if you prefer. Cook it al dente.
- Oil - Olive oil is my go to for most recipes but you could use grapeseed or avocado oil as well.
- Chicken - For this recipe, I used boneless skinless chicken breast. Slice it into pieces similar in size to the pasta you choose.
- Spices - Salt and pepper are the perfection addition. If you are not using fresh garlic or shallots then you can add garlic and onion powder as well.
- Peppers - Bell peppers are ideal for this pasta. I used red, yellow and orange peppers. Chop them into pieces a bit smaller than the pasta and chicken.
- Shallots - Personally, I love the flavour of shallots over onions. You can substitute onions if you like though.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic is best for this recipe but if you don't have any you can use jarred minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Vinegar - I used balsamic vinegar because it adds such a nice flavour to pasta. Use good quality balsamic vinegar. You could substitute apple cider vinegar in a pinch.
- Lemon - Use fresh lemon juice if it's available.
- Parsley - This is an optional garnish. Personally, I love dried and fresh parsley in this one.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Skillet Pasta:
- First, cook the pasta ahead of time. Cook it al dente. Be sure to reserve some of the pasta water when you drain the pasta. Set that aside for later.
- Next, add part of the olive oil to a large skillet and turn temperature to medium heat. Let it heat a bit then add chicken. Cook the chicken for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Then, add the peppers and shallots to the pan and cook everything for about 4 to 7 minutes, giving enough time for the peppers and shallots to brown along with the chicken.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, or until the garlic becomes fragrant. When it is cooked perfectly you should be able to smell it.
- Next, add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, remaining olive oil, reserved pasta water and cooked penne pasta to the skillet. Continue cooking for about 3 to 4 minutes while stirring the ingredients together.
- Lastly, transfer to a large serving bowl and add parsley.
- Mushrooms - Feel free to substitute any kind of mushroom in this recipe. For example, button or cremini mushrooms would work perfectly.
- Tomatoes - Cherry, grape or roma tomatoes would be ideal for this recipe.
- Spinach - If you're looking to amp up your nutrient-rich foods while adding great tasted you can easily add spinach to this pasta.
- Broccoli - This is one of my favourite veggies and I love it in chicken pastas.
- Cauliflower - Honestly, I know from experience that cauliflower paired with broccoli and asparagus is a great addition to this pasta.
- Asparagus - I love asparagus solo or in pastas, or even stir fry. Asparagus spears would be amazing.
- Beans - Green beans would be a great substitution or additions to this recipe.
- Carrots - Sliced fresh carrots work beautifully in healthy pasta. Slice them thinly so they cook quickly.
- Snow Peas - These are one of my favourite things to toss in fresh pastas. They pair well with almost every other vegetable.
- Cheese - Feel free to add fresh parmesan to the pasta.
How to Store it:
- You can store the cooked and cooled pasta in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- Store in an airtight container.
- If you can, I highly recommend adding the date on the top of the container so you know when you made it.
Can you Freeze it:
- This chicken vegetable skillet pasta freezes really well.
- Store cooked and cooled pasta in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just be sure to seal it really well.
- Again, I would recommend adding the date to the top of the container.
Tips for Reheating Pasta:
- Your first option is to reheat this in the microwave by adding some water or broth to it before heating it up. Stir the pasta halfway through. Add more liquid if needed.
- Your second option for reheating this is to do it on the stovetop. Honestly, this is the preferred option. Again, add extra liquid to the pasta before heating it up. This will keep it moist and allow it to reheat perfectly.
Other Healthy Dinner Recipes:
- Teriyaki Sockeye Salmon Bowls
- Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza
- Greek Chicken Orzo Power Bowls
- Angel Hair Pasta with Shallots, Garlic, Broccoli, and Lemon
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry with Lemon
- Easy Steak and Peppers
- Lightened Up Enchiladas with Quinoa, Chicken, and Peach Salsa
- Chicken and Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Dressing and Walnuts
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
30 Minute Chicken and Vegetable Skillet Pasta
- 8 oz uncooked dried penne pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1 to 2 inch strips
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 orange pepper chopped
- 2 medium shallots diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh or dried parsley
- Cook penne according to the package directions. Once cooked, measure out ½ cup of the pasta water and set aside for later. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken to pan and cook for approximately 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to cook the chicken until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken and mix well.
- Add red, yellow, orange peppers and shallots to pan. Cook for 4 to 7 minutes, allowing peppers and shallots to brown on edges. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ cup reserved pasta water and cooked penne pasta to pan. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring while ingredients come together.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter.
- Sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley.
Thanks for visiting today!