Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Today is reveal day for The Secret Recipe Club. For those unfamiliar with SRC, it’s a group of bloggers who make recipes from each others blogs once a month. It’s a big group so we’re split into 4 mini groups. We each post on different days each month. You get assigned a blog and then you pick a recipe from it to make and highlight on your own site. It’s great fun to participate. You know I enjoy sharing the love with my fellow bloggers so this group is right up my alley.

This month I was assigned Phemomenon. I could not have been more thrilled. Holly is an amazing woman and I’ve enjoyed getting to know her better through the blog. She’s been blogging for quite some time so I had tons of recipes to choose from. I had a blast going through her archives. This lady is seriously talented and very diverse in her cooking. Makes looking around the blog a real treat. She has a wonderful writing style as well. So if you haven’t met Holly yet I suggest you get your butts over there and check her out. You will love every recipe you see. The glimpse into her home life as well will make you feel like your part of the family. I highly recommend you add it to your reading list.

I was going to make Holly’s Nutella Sweet Rolls but we were all sick this weekend so I decided to look for something that would soothe some sore throats. We had the flu but there’s also a cold bug being passed around by son. BTW thanks B-Dude! So I put the Nutella Sweet Rolls on my to do list for the future and looked around for something cold and refreshing. I found her Stone Soup Ice Cream. It intrigued me for the obvious reason of me being an ice cream monger. But also because I liked that it had some interesting facts about it. Stone Soup  led to Holly making Rocky Road Ice Cream which lead me to have some fun with it because in Canada it’s called Heavenly Hash. I started to do it as a vanilla base and was going to divide it in half so I could marble it during the freezing process. But I had a blogging crisis which I will explain later, so I ended up just making it a chocolate base and adding two kinds of marshmallows, some chocolate chips and some almonds. I got a little carried away and may have overflowed my ice cream maker with all the additions. It’s what I do. More is better right. Apparently not always.  So I hope you enjoy this Heavenly Hash Ice Cream. I figured I owed you one since I didn’t get to put up my ice cream post yesterday. Again, blogging crisis of epic proportions. So we’ll dub this Sunday and we can all eat ice cream today. Since this is fantasy land we’ll also dub this “calories don’t count day” so have at it in a big way. Eat the whole bowl, hell, eat the whole tub. If calories don’t count I may make another batch.

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Yield: 5 cups

1/2 cup

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

A no egg recipe for Heavenly Hash Ice Cream that’s chock full of chocolate, marshmallows and almonds. Did I mention chocolate?

• 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • ¾ cup slivered almonds
  • 1 cup white mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup colour mini marshmallows
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 4 ounces of semi sweet chocolate, grated

• In a stand mixer whisk together your whole milk, sugar, cocoa, molasses and almond extract. Mix for about 3 or 4 minutes.
  • Add your heavy cream and mix again until it thickens just a bit. About another 3 or 4 minutes.
  • Cover the bowl and set in fridge for at least 1 hour.
  • Remove from fridge and transfer liquid to FROZEN ice cream bowl. Attach that to your ice cream maker and turn on. Let it mix for about 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Now add your almonds, marshamallows, chocolate and chocolate chips. Continue to mix for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until it thickens.
  • Serve immediately or stick in the freezer to harden it more.
  • If you pop it in the freezer make sure you take it out about 5 minutes before serving so it’s easier to scoop.
  • Serve with a big old nutty, almondy, chocolately, heavenly hash smile!

Adapted from Phemomenom's Stone Soup

Yields 5 cups. So in theory it serves 10 x 1/2 cup portions. But let’s be honest folks, who eats that little bit of ice cream.

You can dial back the marshmallows and chocolate chips by half. I used way too many. But I’m crazy like that.

My ice cream maker is the smaller Cuisinart so this overflows a bit. Use a spoon to kind of push the add-ins into the ice cream as it mixes and it should help keep things from flying over the top. Just warning ya!

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Hope you enjoyed the ice cream. I know I did. *whips chocolate off her face* It’s an easy to make, no egg version. I tend to like the no egg recipes cuz I’m all busy lazy and stuff. Eating copious amounts of ice cream is hard work folks. Cut a girl some slack!

Heavenly Hash Ice Cream

Okay in other news I had a blogging crisis of epic proportions last night. Yesterday I was doing some tweaking on my google+ account. I added some photos and then noticed some personal pics of me and the kids. I wasn’t keen on others seeing them, you know I give the kids full right of refusal for blog photos. So I decided to delete the album. Ya, don’t do this. EVER! It is linked to your Blogger blog and will delete your photos from your blog. Not kidding! So you’re all thinking “But Kim you have a wordpress site”. Yes I do, but I had a blogger account first so any photos that were on the original blogger posts will disappear even if you are now with wordpress. I called my hosting company and they did a restore but it won’t restore anything that was originally a blogger post. I contacted Kita who scrambled with me to try to find a solution. After reading a link she sent me I went into google+ and played around. I found one large album still there so I changed the settings to public which restored about half my photos. So about half or more are still M.I.A. and I’ll have to go back and add them manually. There is no fix once they’ve been deleted. You are essentially screwed when you do this. So just so you guys do not make the same mistake, do not ever delete albums from google+. Now this means I have to go back through a years worth of posts and redo pics. Yup, I’m going to be a busy gal. So instead of getting upset and freaking out I’ve decided I may as well making lemons into lemonade. I will  take it as a sign I should finish going back through the blog to insert the print feature on all the past posts. I also do other SEO and tag stuff as I go back. I’ve only managed to backtrack to December after moving the blog. There’s always so many other things to do. So this will give me the push I needed to bust my hump and get it done asap. So this will mean if you are a fellow blogger you may not see me commenting for a couple of weeks. I need to really focus and get this done. So I’m putting my “determined work cap” on and having at it. I just need to plow through and finish it. I anticipate long hours and long nights, no sunlight or social life till it’s finished. But I know it’ll be worth it. So wish me luck and know I am dropping off the face of the planet for a while but it’s for a good cause. I’ll be glad when it’s done and then I can just blog forward which will be so nice. So thanks in advance for understanding.

In other news I have duck photos for you. They are still here and it’s all I can do to not bring them in the house and adopt all 11 babies and mom. They are too cute for words. I am completely taken with the runt. So enjoy. ignore the weeds in the yard. Canada has weird lawn additive laws. So I need to make a run to the states. Oops I did not just say that. Anyhow we can’t add anything till the ducks are gone and we have puppy in the kennel for a bit. So we’ll probably wait and spray in late summer. Not the optimal time but what can you. First we had a stray cat living in the yard, now ducks. I swear they must all be telling their friends to come on by cuz these people feed you, and give you fluffy beds, and tubs to swim in. Yup, total sucker.

Hope you enjoyed the recipe and the glimpse into my farm in suburbia. Heck at this point I think we should just move horsey to the suburbs with us. She’d fit right in.

Make sure you stop by some of the other wonderful people involved with The Secret Recipe Club. There is a lot of talented bloggers participating each month. You might find some new blogs to add to your reading list. Thanks again to Holly for the great recipe. I love your blog so much.

Comments

I used to eat Heavenly Hash all the time as a kid! Thanks for the memory!

1. Please tell me you took a spoon and ate all that beautiful ice cream that you dumped on the counter! I may die if I find out it went to waste.

2. Can you email me about who you used to switch to WP?

If you haven’t already, I’d love if you’d check out my SRC pick this month, Dark Chocolate S’mores Pie!

• 4
      Kim Bee says:

Hi Amy. I’m swamped atm but will email you tonight/tomorrow with some info. Thanks for visiting. And no I have a germ phobia but luckily my son does not. Lol!

Oh, ice cream…perfect way to start the summer season! Great pick for SRC!

Bummer on losing all of those pictures! Thanks for the warning. Although I host most of the pictures that appear on my blog on Flickr just in case something awful happens to my blog. (If something awful happens to Flickr, I’m in trouble.) Anyway, on to the recipe! Nice! And I love the pictures – great imagination. Excellent post – thanks.

• 8
      Kim Bee says:

I know right. I had to try really hard not to freak right out last night. I don’t use Flickr but apparently I should. I’m working on a way to never have this happen again.

Thanks. I had fun with this. I adore working with ice cream.

Growing up heavenly hash was my favorite but it paled in comparison to what you made, yours looks fabu.

I once deleted an album but thankfully it was only about six pictures but I did have to go back and add them manually to my posts again so I’ll never do that again.

We too have baby ducks, they’re so cute.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry Candied Popcorn.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

• 10
      Kim Bee says:

Awe thanks Lisa. I had fun with this months challenge. Love making ice cream.

Mine was hundreds. No idea how I managed to do it. I am in for a lot of work to restore it. Ugh!

Omg they are so sweet. I just want to stay outside and watch them 24/7.

Ohhhh…how I yearn for an ice cream maker of my own to so I can make delicious ice cream like this at home! Hoping to get one for my birthday at the end of June, so we’ll see, fingers crossed. This ice cream is one of my favorites!! Yummmmmmmy!
    Great tip on the Google+ albums, but sorry you had to find that out the hard way to pass that info along!

• 12
      Kim Bee says:

I hope you get one. They are so wonderful to have. I got the cheaper Cuisinart version. It makes enough for us and works fabulously. I think it was about $80 in Canada, so they are probably about $60 in the States. I’ll cross my fingers too just to be safe.

Thanks. This is one super ice cream. So delish.

Oh man I almost cried. I could barely breathe when I realized what happened. Thanks for the kind words.

I LOVE the ducks!!! I want to adopt them too. Sooo adorable.

Oh Kim. You poor thing! I’m so sorry about the pics!

But on a good note, you have ice cream and ducks!

• 16
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks Jen. I am trying not to freak right out. Holding on by a thread.

Right, there’s always an upside. I stocked up on pistachios for the job. Lol!

One word: WANT! I really need to get out my ice cream maker.

Oh little duckies! Soooo cute! Sorry about the sickness and epic bloggy tragedy at your house lately! I LOVE that you went back so far and dug out that ice cream recipe! I just finally replaced my ice cream maker so I can’t wait to try your version. As far as I’m concerned, there can’t really be too many mix-ins so it looks awesome! Thanks for the fantastic write-up too. I’ve loved getting to know you better! Good luck with your hard work coming up to fix the photo issue (and thanks for the warning!).

• 20
      Kim Bee says:

Aren’t they cute. Love them to bits and want them to stay little forever.

Thanks. We are on the mend. The blog on the other hand is going to take some serious work.

I was determined to make something to mend our sickie ways. It was a riot looking through all your stuff. You have such a plethora of options. I love diverse blogs like yours. I get bored on the ones that only do one type of food.

I’ll be keeping in touch. I want to try your nutella rolls and that chocolate granola. I’m gonna be honest though, it’s not going to be at all healthy!

Most welcome. Never delete albums from google+. Ugh!

Oh my, what memories you’ve just stirred up, Kim. Heavenly Hash is my mother’s favourite ice cream flavour, though I haven’t had it in years… not since I moved away from home at the tender age of 19, in fact! (The other flavour we usually had kicking around was spumoni, which is a little harder to find.)
    I’m bookmarking this recipe to make the next time she’s in town. She’ll die. DIE, I tell you.

PS – I like this “calories don’t count day” idea. I like it a lot.

PPS – Sorry to hear about your blogging crisis. This is one of the many, many reasons I host all my photos on Flickr – Google is way too keen on merging their different products together and shoving Google+ down our throats. Ick.

PPPS – Squeeeeeeee! Baby duckies!!!

• 22
      Kim Bee says:

It’s a Canuck hallmark I think. I just had to do it. My dad liked spumoni. I should try making that too. You must make this for her. She will love it. Love, I tell you!

ps right!

pps *cries* I never used Flickr cuz I didn’t trust it. It seemed shifty. Look how that worked out. Lol.

ppps right!

I feel a sore throat coming on, perhaps I do need to indulge in some of that heavenly hash-probably the only good thing about getting sick!
    I have not had this flavor in ages and it is a tasty reminder, need to have some soon.
    Love the ducks, the best thing about the change to warmer weather-all of natures creatures are out and about. Enjoy the day!

• 24
      Kim Bee says:

See now that’s being proactive there Tina. Ward off those evil germies. Ice cream cures all germies.

I just could not help myself. Heavenly Hash is a Canadian legend. Had to be done.

They are so cute. I just want to keep them as pets.

Good looking ice cream you’ve got going on here. I see no eggs, how cool is that? Love the duck photos.

• 26
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks. I never use eggs in any of mine. Just seems like so much more effort. I avoid effort. At all costs. Thanks, aren’t they cute!

Oh wow, too bad about the overflow, but what’s not to love about chocolate ice cream with almonds and marshmallow?

Make sure you back up the pics this time!

• 30
      Kim Bee says:

Lol, I thought they were. I assumed wordpress and the hosting company backs them up. Apparently not. I have all the photos on my pc so it’s just a matter of inputting them all back in the posts. But I hate flickr so I don’t want to go that route. I would never guess editing albums on google+ would remove photos from my blog. Especially when I’m not on blogger any more. Lesson learned. Thank goodness I save all my photos. Whew.

Oh my ! Oh my ! You have me drooling over here ! Let me get some tissue first ! lol Hope you resolve these photo issues asap ! ;) Goodluck ! :D Hmmmm Roast duck ! hee hee

• 32

Thanks Anne.

They have to be redone one by one. So bummed.

Never. Np game meat here at the Bee house. We consider duck game meat. Mini-me would cry.

HA, I love that smashed ice cream photo! I’m just picturing a sad-faced kid who dropped it and you licking your lips waiting for them to move on so you can snatch it up :)

wow! this ice cream is so loaded with STUFF! i love it! can’t wait to make it for the summer…

OMG…Kim…I did that when my pics were gone, but some people had the same problem..was it me or google now? hmmm…
    Yea I had to add then manually, but didn’t find all…So sorry honey, i know how frustrating that must be!

Your photos are fantastic..love your new style!! Keep it up!!! Love ice-cream…very tempting before bed LOL!!!!

• 38
      Kim Bee says:

Google for sure. Not cool at all. I will sort it out. I have to upload them all one by one. Should be a fun couple of months of work. Starting tomorrow so I can make use of hubs 3 days off work. He’s on puppy duty while I have at it.

Thanks. This was fun to shoot. Having a blast playing with my camera.

I haven’t had Heavenly Hash in ages and it has been a couple weeks since I made ice cream, sounds like its time to break out the ice cream maker

• 40
      Kim Bee says:

You must. I keep mine on the counter at all times. One never knows when there might be an ice cream emergency.

Oh no! Thanks for the warning on the Blogger photos…I will remember not to do this now that I am on WP. Great IC, as always!

• 42
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks Carolyn. It is so good. Kind of a Canadian icon of ice creams.

Oh man I am so worried about people doing the same thing. Very scary what can happen.

I have had heavenly hash and I have had rocky road and somehow I never put two and two together that they are the same thing. I think there is another version here in the states…as something to do with pineapple. I am going to have to look in my cookbooks. You have me wondering. Anyway, love love love the ice cream. So sorry you lost the pics. What a pain in the rear. However, any push to get things done might be a blessing in disguise. I have let my seo project slip to the back burner, but I don’t want the impetus of lost photos to get me going.

• 44
      Kim Bee says:

Yah, I think the Canuck and American versions are very different. Ours is so much better than yours. Bah!

Thanks. I have a ton of work ahead of me. Starting tomorrow hubs has the puppy for 3 days so I can work. I want to power through as quickly as possible. It’s a monumental task that should reduce me to tears within a week I think. You’ll be getting an email where I tell you I’m having a breakdown. Send chocolate if that happens m’kay.

Heavenly Hash is my favorite ice-cream and you have just set off a serious craving. Oh how I’d love to eat copious amounts of this right now!

• 46
      Kim Bee says:

Always happy to make someone crave something. Makes my day. So good. I almost forgot there’s still some in the freezer. Off to nosh. Lol!

Kim, I can totally see why you chose this recipe. It looks incredible. I’m totally jealous that you have baby ducks- how cute!

• 48
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks so much. It’s such a great ice cream. They sure are adorable right. I could watch them non stop.

Your ice cream looks amazing, Kim! So sorry to hear about your blog problem. I switched to Google+ and once I realized how much it interfered and changed my Blogger stuff, I deleted it. Having things connected (in ways you don’t even realize) makes it complicated! I hope you are able to sort it all out quickly!

• 50
      Kim Bee says:

Thank you so much. I swear I am tempted to get rid of it. But worried it might do more harm at this point. Crazy they are connected. There is no way they should be. Quite honestly I hope someone sues their butts.

I must say that I am seriously envious of you ice cream. I wish I lived down the street from you. What brand of ice cream maker do you have? Do you have to freeze the bowl ahead of time? Are you happy with it?

• 52
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks Steve. I bought the Cuisinart, but the smaller cheaper version. I had a gift card for Canadian Tire so I got it for a song. I’ll email you the link. You have to keep the bowl frozen. I just keep mine in the freezer perpetually. That way it’s never an issue. I am super happy with mine. It was a good price and it’s big enough for the 4 of us. I wanted a stainless one cuz all my other appliances are but that one is more moolah. I think the one that attaches to a kitchenaid mixer would be cool to have too. I mix mine in my mixer then have to transfer it to the maker so I think it would be less steps to just have that one cuz it just stays in the same bowl if that makes sense. But I’ve never used that one so I can’t say if it’s good or not. Hope that helps.

I chose ice cream for SRC as well…seemed the perfect time. My sweet one-eyed dog ran off my ducks before they got settled in, which is probably best as the neighbors cats would have gone for the babies. But I loved having coffee and watching them swim in my pool before it was warm enough for us! Heck, the smart fellas may have said the heck with the deep south, lets head North and found you!

• 54
      Kim Bee says:

Ice cream is the way to go this time of the year.

We had two babies get killed so mama duck has moved them on. No clue what got them. I was so upset. I really enjoyed having them around. Miss them something awful.

Kim, I love the photos, you make melting ice cream look sooooo good, I just want to come over and lick it all up!!Pinning and will be making soon!
    Your ducklings are adorable.
    xoxoxo

• 56
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks so much Joan. I adore me some ice cream. And ducks. And people who pin my stuff. Lol!

Heavenly Hash is a flavor I miss so much from home! Thanks for sharing a recipe for it!

It sounds like a brilliant project! I think I have never seen a single ice-cream containing so many delicious ingredients. It looks gorgeous!

SQUEEEE! The baby ducks are adorable!!!!! So tiny and cute! How on earth do you get anything done? I’d be out there all day long watching them waddle around! Heavenly hash was my favorite ice cream growing up – wish I was eating some right now…

• 62
      Kim Bee says:

I know right. I don’t. I just want to hang in the yard and pretend I live on a farm.

It’s so good. We’ll have to go for ice cream together one day. They make it low carb right?

I have never heard of heavenly hash before so at first I thought you were talking hash brown ice cream :P
    But this creation sounds infinitely better :D

Cheers
    CCU

I have not heard of this ice cream! I was half expecting something with potatoes, lol!! But, this is so much better!!

What a fantastic looking ice cream! I’d love a bowl of this right now. By the way, sorry to hear about your Google+ blogger dramas. How frustrating.

• 68
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks so much Jennifer. I really loved doing this one. Brought back memories of my dad.

Thanks. I wanted to cry but what’s the point. Moving on.

What a seriously delightful ice cream…I need this for summer! And love the photos, so fun!
    Hope everyone is feeling better :)

• 70
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks so much. I am so honoured to hear you (master photographer) say you like the pics. Huge compliment, thank you.

Much better. Still not 100% but close which is nice.

Hi Kim,

The ice cream looks so so good! Love the photos too. Sorry to hear about the crisis, yikes! I’ve done that before too. The duck photos are just adorable.

• 72
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks so much Nancy. I’ll say the same to you as Alisha, it’s a huge compliment to hear you like the photos. So pleased right now.

I am beyond bummed about the photos but must move on and redo them all. Can’t have empty black holes in the blog.

Aren’t they cute. They’ve moved on which is a big old bummer.

Ahh those ducks are too cute! I get really mad at you when you just plop a perfectly good ice cream onto a table like that. But those pictures are pretty cool, so I guess it’s okay! Next time though, just give the ice cream to me to eat!

• 74

I know right.

Lol, it makes for good photos. I shall make you a deal. Come by next time I shoot and you can have all the upside down ice cream you want. xx

1. [...] Heavenly Hash Ice Cream by Cravings of a Lunatic [...]