Give a Girl a Grill: T-Bone Steak

how to grill a t-bone steak

Yah Baby!

Sorry but I had to do it. It precluded the usual “hi folks”. It had to be said. I don’t even feel bad.

Sort of the same way  I don’t even feel bad I ate this whole freaking thing all by myself. What can I say, I was home alone and hungrier than a starving grizzly. Some girls eat more than salad. I ate beans too. I know right. I’m screaming “lady” right about now aren’t I?

Yah, I don’t even care. Look at this freaking thing. You would have eaten it all too. At least I’ve got the …hm…er…ya, let’s leave that one alone. Steak, look at the pretty steak.

grilled t-bone steak

Okay so we’ll start with this- I like mine well done, medium at minimum. Not one of those I like to see red kind of gals. I like a good char on mine. I love when the fatty ends get all dark. There’s flavour in that. It’s the part I eat first. Every…freaking…time! So don’t come on here telling me “omg it’s too dark”, cuz I’ll just tell you to “bite me” and that’ll be that. You grill your way, I’ll grill mine and we’ll co-exist nicely. Otherwise go pound dirt. Told ya, ladylike and all that.

grilled t-bone steak

Give a Girl a Grill: T-Bone Steak

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

How to grill a t-bone steak!
Author:
Recipe type: Main Course, Entree
Serves: 1 Lunatic
  • 1 monster size t-bone steak
  • Himalayan Salt to taste
  • BBQ sauce of choice to taste
  1. Fire up your grill! Let it get wicked hot! It's like preheating an oven folks. It needs time to warm up.
  2. While it's warming up let you t-bone set out on the counter. It cooks better when it's not freaking cold as ice.
  3. Once the grill is wicked hot you want to turn it down just a hair. Not much, to about a medium-high heat.
  4. Salt both sides of your steak.
  5. Slap the mother on the grill.
  6. Here's where I differ from others, slap your sauce on now. It'll cook into the meat a bit. Trust the lunatic.
  7. Cook for about 5-6ish minutes on that side, then turn the mother over. It's going to be messy so wear something you don't care about, like one of your husband's ugly shirts.
  8. Now slap some bbq sauce on the side that's facing you again. Trust me!
  9. Cook for about 5-6ish minutes then turn the mother over again.
  10. Cook for about a 1-2ish minutes to let the sauce char into the meat.
  11. Take the mother off the grill.
  12. Important step coming up people, snap outta it- let it rest for about 4 or 5 minutes before eating it. It's let's all that good stuff you did to it settle and get all yummy. Trust me.
  13. Serve with a big old hungrier than a grizzly smile!

grilled t-bone steak

Now that’s how you grill a T-Bone Steak people. That’s also how you eat like a lady. If you’re a lady grizzly bear. Just sayin’.

Comments

1. Steve says

Wow…this looks great! Nothing like a good TBone steak on the grill….I am also a big fan of Hanger Steaks on the grill…talk about ya taste buds freaking out…Like they say in The Carolina’..”It would wanna make ya spank ya momma’! (Don’t ask me…Im a Joisey Guy) :)

• Kim Bee says

I’d spank anyone’s momma for a good steak. I haven’t done much hanger, I think our Canuck butchers call it skirt. I should give it a whirl, or a slap. Thanks for visiting and liking my oh so very ladylike steak.

I haven’t grilled a t-bone in ages. I love the idea of cooking it when you are all by yourself. You obviously have this thing figured out. It would save me about $65 if I waited until everyone was gone! I think mama’s gonna have t-bone while the kiddies are at school. heh heh heh.

I would give that steak a good going over but my husband eats fast and then stares at my plate waiting for me to hand him my leftovers just like a puppy dog. And who can deny a puppy dog in need?

• Kim Bee says

Lol, gotta love men when it comes to stealing our steaks. Nothing like a sharp fork in the hand to fix that problem. *giggles*

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I get so many people say they like to see pink. I say look at my blog, there’s lots of pink, just not on my steak. Bah! The sad part is I would eat a steak like that in public too. I just love a good steak.

I like a pretty decent char on my steak too. But the inside? Just a touch more than rare. Best of both worlds – you get that great char flavor, and then that sweet succulent steak flavor. T-bones are great for individual steaks. but I like to do a big porterhouse, big enough to serve two or more. I slice it and serve it so everyone gets a good mix of the filet and the strip. Jeez, I haven’t had a steak for ages – now I’m salivating!

• Kim Bee says

My hubs is like you, he is starting to like a little red inside. I think my issue is having been brought up with my dad making such a big deal if he ever saw red. This was big enough for 4 people. I got kind of carried away. Lol.

• Kim Bee says

Rofl, if mine’s mooing it’s going back on the grill. I’m learning though. A little moo is slowly making it’s way into my roasts. It’s a new thing for me.

Back in my dancing days, I dated an Italian dude who would make me very, very large breakfasts. They included steak, beans, eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit and toast. I would insist that going to dance class with that much in my belly could only spell disaster, but he wouldn’t hear it. To this day, I have trouble eating beans. But I’ll take my steak medium rare and BIG.

• Kim Bee says

I used to try to get mini-me to eat like that before a horseback riding lesson. She would complain cuz flying over fences and heavy meals don’t mix. I only eat beans like twice a year. Then I hide the next day.

I’m a medium-rare-with-a-rub-that’s-got-some-kick kind of girl! Lucky for us, the T-Bone is one of the 29 lean cuts of beef!! Maybe we should throw another one on the grill in celebration!

NOW you’re speaking my language! I can get behind eating a big steak all by my lonesome! You and I will have to agree to disagree on meat temperature though since I’m more of a medium-rare girl myself. But I wouldn’t make you leave the room while you ate your burned steak or anything – as long as you don’t chew with your mouth open, because then all bets are off! 😉

• Kim Bee says

It’s the only way to go. Home alone with steak, beans and some good tv. Ah my life is so hard.

Me likey the char. It brings out the animal in me.

8. Steve says

Friday and all this steak talk! I think I know what I am going out to get for dinner! Makes ya smile at the thought we are at the top of the food chain huh :) Have a great weekend everyone !

9. Debra says

Gee, I’m drooling… no BBQ for this girl yet, have to buy a new one and till then .. it’s restaurant steak or steak done in the broiler. So these pictures are just making me drool .. honestly.. I would have it pink in the middle tho, just a bit more than rare. But you left meat on the bone …

• Kim Bee says

We just got a new one last year. Love it. So nice to be able to get outside and grill. Steaks on the broiler are great too. I also pan fry them occasionally. So good. I took the meat off after the photos. *giggles*

Char on the outside, bloody on the inside please :-) is that a touch of pink I see on the bone though :-) I also like my fatty pieces and I too devour those first!

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I did leave a touch. Mostly cuz I was starving like Marvin. I am trying to allow a little more pink. It’s a whole mind thing from my childhood. Fatty pieces rock.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. I do all the grilling here. Hubs has made hot dogs twice this summer and burned them both times. Lol. He gets distracted and wanders off. I love steak in the summer. Can’t eat enough of it this time of the year.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks. I’m the opposite. I can never find a place here that does a good steak. I tend to order pasta or fish when I’m out. But even fish I prefer to make myself. I think I might be becoming a food snob. Yup, it’s official.

LOL. You sound like my mom – she also likes well-done, even on a really great steak too. I used to be like that, but my husband forced me to change to medium….well, medium rare can be a little too much for me. :-) Your steak looks juicy and delicious. Haven’t had good steak for a while, actually. Craving for meat!!

• Kim Bee says

Oh ya, even tenderloin for me needs to be well done. Although I am doing more pink for the guys lately. Steak is just such a summer thing here. Cannot get enough of it this time of year.

• Kim Bee says

I say 1 steak and 2 glasses of wine for you girl. I missed you so much. So glad you’re back and big congrats on the new bundle of joy. xx

Nothing beats a good steak!! When I was younger I would only eat my meat cooked well. I met a friend in college whos dad owned a steak house and never let me order that way. From then out I love it rare!!!

• Kim Bee says

Right! I am such a well done girl. Think it’s a whole childhood thing. I pretty much all my meat charred. Lol.

Love the grill marks! You grill like a pro. Unfortunately, my family likes their beef just short of mooing…I’m the one sending mine back out for a few more minutes!

Yah Baby is right!!!! Give me a juicy grilled steak any day and I’m chowing down. Good for you for eating it all! It would be hard not to.

• Kim Beaulieu says

Ha, I am so craving a nice big steak right now. I almost picked up some tenderloin today but was trying to stick to a budget. I wish I could eat steak every day. It’s my weakness. I love it simple with barbecue sauce. It’s so good.

• Kim Beaulieu says

Thanks lady. I have to say I’m getting more into a little pink these days. It sort of depends on my mood. I’m peeking around for a new charcoal grill right now. A girl has to have lots of options, just like shoes.