Today is a very special day. We are celebrating Megan Pence’s upcoming wedding by throwing her a virtual surprise bridal shower. A group of bloggers got together to show Megan just how much we love her. I am so honoured to be included as I adore Megan to bits. Most of you know her as the gal behind the fabulous blog Wanna Be A Country Cleaver. She is down to earth and super sweet. She’s also witty, talented, adorable, sassy and smart. I mean any gal who loves red velvet as much as me has to be a keeper. I am so incredibly happy for Megan and Ben. Finding your soul mate and starting your life together is such an amazing adventure. As my hubs and I near our 20 year anniversary this month I’ll offer a small bit of advice. Are you ready for it Megan? Here it is… the secret to a happy marriage… and a happy life… “Don’t take advice from other people”. Honestly, people mean well but my best advice is to live your life for you and Ben, and to hell with what anyone else thinks or says. It’s you two in it together, so the only thing that matters is the two of you. I wish you both a happy and long life together, enjoy every single minute of it.
When I got the email asking what I’d like to bring I knew immediately it had to be red velvet in some form. I’d been toying with an ice cream recipe for a while. I wanted it to be red velvet and taste like cake without having the cake chopped up inside. I wanted to put the ice cream on top of cupcakes so I did not want a double hit of actual cake in this dessert. So I decided to use the batter from a cake mix to add that cake taste without baking a cake and chopping it all up to put inside. Were you starting to wonder how many times I could say cake in one sentence? Apparently a lot! I also wanted the ice cream to be a pure red without any other colour inside. So this was my solution. I’ve done cake batter ice cream before so I knew it was possible. Imagine my surprise when I happened upon an actual Red Velvet box cake mix. I went in to the store thinking along the lines of Devil’s Food. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out Duncan Hines carries a red velvet cake mix. I also decided to try it out and make cupcakes with it. My original plan was to make the cupcakes from scratch. I’ve made red velvet ones a gazillion times. But anyone who reads my blog regularly knows we are swamped with some crazy “life stuff” right now. So cutting a corner on the cupcake prep was the way to go. Hopefully Megan will forgive me for not going homemade on the cupcakes. Hopefully this gorgeous ice cream more than makes up for it. Hope you like it Megan. This one’s for you!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup vanilla or plain sugar
- Pinch of vanilla salt of plain salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups dry red velvet cake mix
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 to 5 teaspoons Wilton Red No Taste Icing Colour (the gel is the best for red velvet and use your own judgement on how much. Some people don't do well with a ton of food colouring so this is a personal decision.)
- In a stand mixer, combine your whole milk, sugar, and salt. Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the heavy cream, cake mix, cocoa powder and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
- Add the food colouring. Start small and work towards the colour you want. You can always add more but you can't subtract once it's in there. Colour with caution folks.
- Mix well, being careful to start slow and not shoot red colouring everywhere. Not that this happened to anyone we know or anything.
- Cover bowl and place in fridge for at least 1 hour. I left mine in overnight to age the mixture well. Some ice creams do really well if you leave them in there longer. This is one of them.
- Remove from fridge, transfer mixture to a frozen ice cream machine bowl.
- Place the mixer inside, pop the top on and give it a whir. Let it churn for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pop it in your freezer until solid. Again I find the overnight method works well here. Gives it enough time to really firm up.
- Once it's solid you can now place one scoop of ice cream on each cupcake.
- For those who are just chomping at the bit to pick it up and try to eat it like an actual cupcake, well, don't do that sillypants. You will make a red velvet mess and make your family think something horrid happened while they were gone. Not that it happened to anyone we know.
- Serve immediately...on a plate...for realz....sillypants.
- Enjoy with a big old red toothed smile!
I used my Homemade Vanilla for this but use whatever kind you like. I also used my own Vanilla Sugar and Vanilla Salt in it. You can use just plain old sugar and salt if you like. No judgement here. I mean I did just cut corners and use boxed (gasps) cupcake mix for this.
I encourage you all to visit the other lovely bloggers celebrating Megan’s shower. Here’s the menu for today’s festivities:
Heather from Farmgirl Gourmet brought Deviled Eggs- 3 Ways
Gina from Running to the Kitchen brought Cheesy Edamame Crostini
Kirsten from Comfortably Domestic brought Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Puffs
Tina from My Life as a Mrs. brought Easy Bacon Cream Cheese Roll -Ups
Rachel from Baked by Rachel brought Sausage and Red Pepper Stuffed Mushrooms
Alison from Decadent Philistines Save the World brought Retro Cheese Cookies
Laurie from Simply Scratch brought Blueberry Lemon Spritzers
Cassie from Bake Your Day brought Lemon-Berry Granita with Balsamic and Basil
Michelle from A Recipe Junkie brought Fresh Melon & Crispy Proscuitto Salad
Jeanne from Inside NanaBread’s Head brought Greek Salmon Wraps
Kathryn from London Bakes brought Eton Mess Shooters
Julie from Table for Two brought Mini Cherry Pies
Lauren from Lauren’s Latest brought Summer Strawberry Jello Pie
Kat from Tenaciously Yours brought Good For You Bars
Mads from La Petite Pancake brought Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Megan I wish you and Ben a lifetime of happiness. It’s a pleasure to celebrate this day with you and all the other wonderful bloggers who participated in today’s surprise party. I had so much fun whipping this up for you, and well, eating it on your behalf. It was a huge sacrifice to have to eat 2 of these things, but that’s how much I love you girl. I might even love you enough to eat one for each of us today. Now that’s dedication and loyalty. Fist bump!
I also have another little surprise for Megan. I am going to Mixed this fall so we finally get to meet in person. I am so excited to finally get to meet the gal who brightens up my days and makes me smile with her sharp wit. Look forward to seeing you there.
Toodles and smoochies! xx