Chicken Fajitas for #SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta

fajita

Hi folks.

Long time, no post. If you were unaware, I lost my marbles along with my health on our trip out west. So, long story short I’m okay but confused, worn out and in need of medical intervention. I’m hanging in there though and trying to keep my sense of humour about things. I’ll fill you in more on the whole ordeal later this week. For now I’d like to turn your attention to Sunday Supper and our Mexican Fiesta.

Okay truth time. I am wicked sick so I did not do up the fajitas the way I had planned. I can barely stand upright folks. So I did an easy peasy, sorta Mexican- Asian type fajita this week. It is the best I could do on such limited energy. I took on too much this week, but did not want to let my Sunday Supper crew down since I had to bail last week due to the whole “hospital thing”. So I powered through and this is my idea of Mexican when I’m tired and can’t handle anything too spicy. So if you like watered down, Americanized Mexican food this is the dish for you. If you’re looking for authentic, spicy Mexican food I’d suggest visiting the rest of the crew for inspiration. I’m sure they went above and beyond as they always do. This group rocks, and they cook up amazing food. So on with the food. Watered down and otherwise.

fajitas

Chicken Fajitas for #SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A fusion of Mexican- Asian style Chicken Fajitas that are both easy and tasty!
Author:
Recipe type: Mexican, Main, Entree
Serves: Depends how hungry you are!
  • 1 large White or Sweet Onion, cut into thin strips
  • 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
  • 2 green peppers, cut into thin strips
  • 2 red peppers, cut into thin strips
  • 2 yellow peppers, cut into think strips
  • 2 tablespoons Stir fry Sauce, such as General Tao's
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Cayenne Pepper to taste
  • Red Pepper Flakes to taste
  • 1 to 2 packages tortillas, we used medium sized
  1. Cut up your onion into thin strips. Place in a frying or saute pan you've sprayed with non stick spray over medium-low heat and drizzle with olive oil. Let this cook for about 15 to 20 minutes while you cut up and cook the other ingredients. You want them almost caramelized before you add the next ingredient. Stir every few minutes and add extra olive oil if you find it getting too dry or sticking to the pan.
  2. Cut up your chicken into thin strips, place in a separate frying pan or saute pan you've sprayed with non stick spray, and cook over medium heat until almost brown. Stir it often. Mine took about 10 to 12 minutes but I like mine quick crispy so feel free to reduce cook time to 8 to 10 minutes if you like. Once it's almost cooked add the stir fry sauce and stir often. Then you can add the spices to taste.
  3. While the chicken is cooking you can cut up your peppers and set them aside until the onions are almost caramelized. Once those onions are just starting to turn golden toss the peppers into the same pan as the onions. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes more depending how you like your peppers. I like mine just starting to soften with a touch of crunch right in the middle. It's all about personal preference with cooking. Feel free to sort of ad lib when cooking. There's no right or wrong way.
  4. Once everything is cooked, toss some fajitas into the microwave for a few seconds to soften them up, then pop some chicken and some peppers and onions into them. You can jazz yours up with whatever you like. I kept mine mild.
  5. Serve with a big old "I need to lie down now" smile!
Keep in mind this is a watered down, more Americanized Mexican dish. I was sick when I cooked this up so I kept it simple and low on the spice barometer. Feel free to amp it up any way you like.

fajitas

Hope you like it. This really is a simple dish and easy on the taste buds for those less daring. So this would be good for kids for sure. Plus it’s easy peasy and cooks up quick. Save some time by using some leftover cooked chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken from the store. If I had thought of that, (remember I’m on LOTS of drugs right now) I would have just heated up a pre-cooked chicken from the store to be perfectly honest.

Thanks to Isabel Foodie of Family Foodie who is our fearless Sunday Supper leader. If you would like to join please get in touch with her. She’s a total sweetheart and you will adore her and the group. Also a huge thanks to our host this week, the talented Heather of Girlichef. You did an outstanding job putting this event together and I am proud to be part of this week’s event.

fajitas

Join us around the family table this week for our #SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta – it’s a party that you won’t want to miss.  We hope to inspire you with these mouthwatering recipes from our talented contributors.  We will be sharing them all day long and would love for you to share your favorite Mexican and Mexican-inspired recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat at 7pm (Eastern).
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)

La Comida (the food)

Postres (desserts)

Bebidas (beverages)

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper  live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite recipes for a Mexican Fiesta! All you have to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat!  We’d also love to feature your Mexican Fiesta recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!  And feel free to leave links to your favorite Mexican or Mexican-inspired recipes in the comment section of this post – I’d love to see them!

Thanks to everyone for reading. And thanks to everyone who has been so supportive since my minor health issues. I appreciate the love and support more than you know. I’ll be right as rain in no time.

Comments

1. The Mom Chef says

Oh no! I was hoping that you’d feel much better by now. Prayers will keep heading your way. You’re a star (and crazy) for pulling together this amazing dish while so I’ll.

You have been missed my friend, I seriously hope you are feeling better and know that you are in my thoughts :) – keep smiling and glowing with your gorgeous attitude!
    Also loving this wonderful dish, you flavour the chicken to perfection!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

You’re a trooper! If I was as sick as you sound… I would not even think about stepping into my kitchen. Then you make these amazing chicken fajitas. You sure can work miracles on limited energy. Looks wonderful. Please feel better soon… I’m so sorry you are feeling so bad these days.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Ramona. On the bright side I’ve finally come out of my medicine stupor long enough to remember the details and have been researching the diagnosis of diverticulitis. So I’m making good progress now. Be right as rain soon. Thanks for the continued support my friend. xx

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Laura. I’ve actually been resting a ton the last two days, feels nice to take it easy. Well, easy for me anyway. There’s still cooking and laundry no matter how sick I am.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Paula. I’m sure I’ll be fine in no time. I’ve gotten tons of rest the last couple of days so feeling a bit better already.

• Kim Bee says

Awe thanks Kayle. I think I needed some kitchen action. I felt a little better after so maybe it was good medicine for me. xx

What a round up! Hope you are OK. Sounds like you were in a car accident. Whatever it is, positive energy your way – and a pile of it – you deserve it as you share so much of exactly that with each of us in every post.
    XOXOXO

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Valerie. Nope not a car accident, just some a health meltdown. I’ve had ibs for years but apparently I had a bout with diverticulitis. That coupled with dehydration and bp issues from the elevation. Forgot how I get when I go to places that aren’t flat like here. It was a brutal reminder. Loved my time in Calgary though, and plan to be back at least once a year now that my son is there. Maybe we can meet up next time when it’s not so hectic. Would love to meet you in person when I travel cross Canada again.

And thank you so much. You are so sweet. Your kind words made my day. xx

• Kim Bee says

Okay next time I’m calling you cuz hubs and mini-me are just no good in the kitchen. Lol.

This was fun even though I was sick. The upside was being able to participate in chat for a change.

I love Mexican food. And Asian. And – oh heck, I love everything! What does that make me? 😉 Anyway, nice idea to add some Asian flavors in a Mexican dish. This is a nice, tasty dish that is super easy to make. Not being on drugs 😉 I’d definitely go for the cooked, store-bought chicken. Thanks for posting when you’re so sick, but please don’t overdo it – we need our loony to get better Get well!

• Kim Bee says

I think that makes you adventurous which is awesome. I usually have to push myself out of my comfort zones food wise. I get into ruts.

I am doing much better today. Had a good rest, started coming out of my drug haze and googled my diagnosis. So things are looking up. xx

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Angie. I had fun making it. And finally joining you guys in chat for once. The one upside to being sick right now is twitter chat. Lol!

I have a friend who does not eat hardly any spices. And he likes Asian food. To this Asian-Mexican low-spice fusion dish would be perfect for him. I will send it on to him and I am sure he will love it.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Renee. I can’t help myself, whenever I do fajitas I find myself mixing in asian sauces. I think I just like any excuse to use asian or tamari types sauces. Tamari is the be all and end all for me. The thicker the better.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Tara. I love that fajitas are just as good the second day too. I don’t like too many foods reheated but these reheat beautifully.

So sorry you are feeling unwell. Your fajitas look bright and happy though, so there’s that. Concerned moms worldwide would also like to know that the B-Dude is settling in. And that his mom is feeling better soon.

Take care,

Stacy

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Stacy. I really enjoyed getting in the kitchen for a bit. It’s been awhile for me. B-Dude is doing so well. I am so proud of him. The bummer is he’ll be about 8 hours away this week and I’ll be too sick to travel over to see him. He’s being given an award in Quebec. I’m so bummed I’m too sick to travel.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. I just felt the need to get off my duff for a bit. I’m not used to not cooking for so long. Was fun, and glad I did easy peasy.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Erin. I think I just got sick of being a lump. I needed something to do. Was tiring but so nice to get back in the kitchen for a bit.

These are exactly the kind of fajiitas my family wants….minimal spice is perfect. Hope you are back to your normal crazy self very soon…please take good care. xx

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Liz. I hope so. This whole trip had me rethinking Whipped, I really need to talk to the doc and see if I’m still good to go. I’m a little nervous to travel after this whole ordeal. I should decide cuz if I’m going I still need to book a room and flight. Yikes.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. This is the first time I’ve made them since my son moved out. I forgot he was gone and made way too much. Lol.

“If you like watered down Americanized Mexican food, this dish is for you”… ha ha ha! That got me a good chuckle 😉 But seriously, I love fajitas and I could totally go for some right now. I’m good with authentic or americanized ;P I hope you’re feeling much better soon!

Sorry you’re not well. Don’t push yourself because nobody wants you worse due to not wanting to let anyone down. Take care and relax. We’ll all be here when you’re patched up.

I love fajitas – easy or complicated :)

• Kim Bee says

Awe you are so sweet Maureen. Thanks for that. I have been laying in bed for a couple of days now so I’ve been resting up like a good patient. I’m feeling hopeful I may be able to get out for a bit tomorrow for some bloodwork I need done.

Me too. These were worth the minimal effort. Lol.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Isabel. I am so happy to back with you guys. I really enjoyed being able to do chat too. The one upside to being on bed-rest. Lol.

• Kim Bee says

I usually opt for beef so this was a nice change. So easy, I was in and out in under 30ish minutes or so. Not too shabby. It would have been quicker if I hadn’t have stepped on glass right before stepping into the kitchen. Lol.

Hey chick! Good to see that even though your still down, you’re not out, and that you’re at least back to making delicious food! Looking forward to having you back in full force and your usual sassy self! Hang in there! XO

• Kim Bee says

Never out, just not built that way. Although this incident had me second guessing that. I may need to make some major adjustments though. See I’ll be a healthy blogger one day like you. Just taking me longer to wake up to the smack upside the head, thick and all that. *giggles*

Thanks lady. Happy to be back and semi normal. For me.

• Kim Bee says

Now there’s a gal who rises to the occasion. I adore anyone who knows me well enough to eat pizza in my honor. Thanks for the support Rachel, it means a lot. xx

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Jennie. I’m starting to feel sort of better so I’m getting there. I can’t wait to share the photos. We had so much fun before the wheels fell off. Lol.

Sheesh, Girl, this is awful…your health, I mean, Not the food. The food is great. I love fajitas. I even posted some this last weekend, too. It’s the other stuff that’s awful. So sorry you are having to go through this. Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed that you will be feeling better soon!!!

• Kim Bee says

Apparently I live by the philosophy of “go big or go home”. Lol. I went home this time. After a hospital visit and loaded up on drugs in the backseat of my car. Nothing like life smacking you in the head to wake you up. I’m hopeful once we get everything sorted I’ll be right as rain. Just starting to come out of my drug haze now and making sense of it all.

Hope you are well. And hubs. I owe you an email. I haven’t forgotten. Talk soon. xx

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Frank. I am already feeling on the mend. I’m sure a home cooked meal helped. Nothing like kitchen therapy to get a gal feeling better.

This looks pretty good to me, spicy or not. Just having all those peppers in there makes it delicious.
    I am so sorry about your continued woes – not fair at all. I am surprised you are able to blog at all. Hang in there.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Suzanne. I am a pepper addict. Just love them.

You are so sweet. I’ll be okay. It’s been an interesting, eye opening adventure for sure. I think I needed a wake up call though. I always figure things happen for a reason.

I happen to love watered down, Americanized Mexican food so this definitely works for me. I’m glad you’re doing a bit better now, twin. And glad you’re back! *hugs and sloppy kisses*

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Dara. You will want to get ahold of Isabel Foodie from Family Foodie, you can go to her contact page, http://familyfoodie.com/category/blog/, or hit her up on twitter @familyfoodie. She will get you all hooked up. It’s an amazing group of people. Really supportive and everyone works together so well. It’s a joy to belong to.

First time at your lovely blog! I hope you will recover really soon and these fajitas I am sure they will help you on this! They look super tasty!. I love Mexican!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much for visiting. I’m slowly starting to feel better. Be up and running in no time.

Me too. Mexican food is so yummy.

Awww I know how you feel Kim. My son had surgery last week and I almost didn’t post but I already had the dish made. I wasn’t happy with it but I posted it anyway. Whether you did the easy way or the hard way, fajitas are yummy and your’s looks great! Hope you feel better soon.

Oh, Kim. Popped by to see how you’re doing and not so good? So glad to see you’re still cheering everyone up with your colourful dishes and wit, despite how you’re feeling. Stay well and look after yourself! You rock.

Oh Kim! I really hope you are feeling better soon. It’s hard to be sick on top of everything you have to do, and yet you still make this delicious food. I’ve been so busy that I read you are sick on facebook but didn’t know it was so bad! Omg, I hope this is not serious. I need the update of what you are talking about in your next post. Please, please do rest. Sending you big hugs and energy to your way… xo

I’m just glad you are getting better! Kudos to you for finding the energy to still participate. I make fajitas quite often because it’s so easy to throw together after a long day.

hope you feel better soon hun! i know how tiring it is to cook when you are sick but it was unbelievably awesome of you to make and share these fajitas. they look delicious!

I do hope you recover quickly. It sounds like you’ve had a very rough week. Amazing how, as unwell as you’ve been, you’ve managed to present a really healthy and delicious looking Mexican/American dish – your fajitas look very yummy xx