Apple meet Caramel…
Caramel meet Chocolate…
Chocolate meet Pecan…
Turtle Apples meet Lunies’ Bellah!!!
Okay first of all how I just gotta ask you something…
there’s not many times in life you can say this…
so I’m going for it…
“how about them apples?”
Okay so it was lame. Like I care. I’ve got Turtle Apples so nothing can bring me down.
- 4 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 bags of caramels
- 8-10 oz chocolate (I did half with semi-sweet and half with milk)
- 1½ cups crushed pecans (I put whole ones in a ziploc and whack with a rolling-pin)
- Scrub your apples with hot water so there's no residue on them. Otherwise the caramel will not stick as well.
- In a double boiler melt your caramel. Stir until smooth. Dunk the apple all the way in and swirl it around. Let the excess drip off. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat till all the apples are coated. Stick in fridge for at least 30 minutes to set up.
- In a double boiler melt the chocolate and stir until smooth. Dunk the apple about halfway into the chocolate. Swirl then let the excess drip off. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Now you need to add the pecans while the chocolate is still wet. I find putting the pecans on by hand easier. If you dunk you will end up with chocolate in your dunking bowl and ruin the pecans. They become hard to dunk if they are chocolate/pecan goop. So just turn the caramel/chocolate apples sort of on their sides, kinda diagonally and just drop the pecans as you sort of roll the apple around. Trust me, this works perfectly. You can also take the pecans and press them with your hand onto where you want them. It's messy but works also.
- Place them back on the parchment as you do each one. Let them set up in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with a big old "I'm a Turtle genius" smile!
You had to know this was happening. With my love affair with all things Turtle this was inevitable. I had to do it. The Turtle voices in my head made me do it. I need help. Hold me!
Okay don’t hold me. Lunie hates pda’s. Gross!
For those of you who are also obsessed with Turtles this is for you:
Yah, so I have a little obsession with all things Turtle. It’s fun to drag other people into my world of Turtles too. The Turtle Cheesecake Pizza was guest post from Isabelle of Crumb while I was away for vacation this past summer. She rocked it out with her mad turtle skillz. I was lucky enough to meet Izzy in person at the Techmunch Conference. She is as nice in person as she is on her blog. The Turtle Sweet Buns were part of a blog swap with Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Kristen actually brought me a batch to mow down on when we met at the Food Blog Forum Conference. They were the bomb. I mean holy shnikeys folks, this lady can cook her buns off. I made the Turtle Brownies as part of an interview for Burning Down The Kitchen with Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake. Let me just say Liz is awesome and she can bake her skinny butt off. I will have the pleasure of meeting Liz in person at Mixed. So excited!
If you are looking for Halloween recipes feel free to check out these:
So holy crap what are you still doing here. Don’t you think I’ve taken up enough of your free time for today. Go cook, or bake, or take a nap. Or go enter my giveaway for Fudge and fudge making supplies. See what I just did there. *giggles uncontrollably*
Toodles and smoochies! xx