This chili is not for sissies. Have your guests bring their appetites for this one. It’s manly, meaty and chock full of veggies and beans.
So many beans you may want to warn your family and friends when you eat this stuff. It’s delicious but I’m telling you the next day you don’t want anyone behind you. Just warning you now. It’s how I roll. Always looking out for you. But never standing behind you, or down wind of you. I mean I love you but seriously, there are limits to what I’m willing to do for you.
I adore slow cooker recipes in the winter. There’s just something about cooking something low and slow. The flavour just deepens as the day passes. Plus the set it and forget it idea appeals when I’m busy doing other things. Which seems to be often. Things like watching TV, playing on Pinterest, skyping my friends, eating pistachios, obsessively looking at pictures of Timothy Olyphant. Yup, totally busy gal, doing super important things. Some days I even cook things. Like Manly Meaty Chili.
- 3 to 4 pound chuck roast, cut into small cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 red peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced small
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 2 cans of Sans Marzano tomatoes (796 ml / 28 oz)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (540 ml / 19 oz)
- 2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed (540 ml / 19 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 jar pasta or tomato sauce (680 ml)
- 1 can tomato paste
- In a large skillet brown your beef over medium heat, use a little olive oil to keep it moist. You don't need to cook it too long, just for about 5 or 6 minutes. You want it just golden brown on the outside. Transfer the meat to the slow cooker.
- Toss all the peppers, onion, shallot, and garlic over top.
- Add the tomatoes and beef broth over top.
- Sprinkle the sugar over top and give the liquid a stir.
- Now add all your beans, and spices, stir it again.
- Pour the sauce of your choice over top. You can adjust the amount of sauce according to your taste. I used a full jar.
- Give the liquid a good stir.
- Cover the slow cooker and turn on low. Cook for about 6 hours, then add about ½ can of tomato paste. See how it looks in another hour and add the other half a can if you want a thicker sauce. Continue to cook for another hour.
- I cooked mine for 8 hours in a 7 quart slow cooker.
Dial back the spices if you don't want too much kick.
You can adjust the ingredients according to your taste.
You can also adjust if your slow cooker is a smaller size than mine, like it states in the recipe mine is 7 quarts which is a huge slow cooker.
Stock up on beano when you grab the ingredients. You’re welcome.
I love this version of chili. I do a milder version for my IBS tummy which I’ll share another day. This one is not IBS friendly. I’m super careful when eating it. I love spicy chili but I have to watch how much I eat and make sure I’m not going out the next day. Hubs loves this one so I spice it up for him every now and then. Good wifey and all that jazz.
Tune in tomorrow for a milkshake recipe. Yes I know it’s the middle of winter, but I like frozen treats. I also like giving stuff away, there’s a great milkshake cookbook up for grabs. See you soon.
Toodles and smoochies! xx