Got your attention?
Yah, I thought so!
This pasta is basically a riff on a simple Pasta Puttanesca. If you know what Pasta Puttanesca is it translates to whore’s pasta. It has salty tones in it from the capers and it has fragrant tones in it from the garlic. Typically most people make it with anchovies but this family is not huge fans of anchovies so I made some tweaks. We are huge fans of onions and shallots so I decided to swap those in for the anchovies. I figured it would give some additional kick to the sauce and let me tell you this gal loves a good kick in her sauce. As always I left out black pepper, my regulars know I abhor the stuff. If you like it feel free to toss some in. Just don’t invite me for dinner if you do.
While I still have your attention I’d like to let my fellow Canuck readers know that myself and Isabelle of Crumb are holding a fabulous giveaway thanks to Aurora Importing. We’re giving away 2 tickets to see Lidia Live in Toronto on February 10th. So if you are in or near the Toronto area please enter. Not only do you get to see Lidia but you can meet up with myself and Izzy. We’ll even pose for silly photos if you provide enough wine. Heck, forget the wine, we’ll hang out and take photos with you just for fun. It’s sure to be a blast. All I ask is everyone cross fingers for me since I’m making the 4 hour trek on the 401 to be there. If you would like to enter scroll on down to the bottom of the post to throw your hat in the ring.
I’d also like to invite you to stop by Aurora Importing to enter to win 1 of 3 signed copies of Lidia’s Favorite Recipes. This is her newest cookbook and I’m just itching to get my hands on a copy myself. Aurora Importing’s newest post is all about Lidia talking capers. So myself and Isabelle got in on the caper action. I have a recipe on their site right now called Caper and Chorizo Pizza. Isabelle from Crumb has a recipe on their site called Spaghetti al Limone with Fried Capers and Seared Scallops. If you scroll to the bottom we’ve got a little side contest going on to see whose recipe you all like better (mine) or Isabelle’s (don’t do it folks) and the stakes are us getting our own signed copy of Lidia’s cookbook. If you all can’t choose I say vote for both of us and maybe we’ll have a tie. That way maybe we’ll both get a book, or we can videotape ourselves arm wrestling for it. You decide (me), but really no pressure (mine) at all, just vote for who you want (me).
Okay so now that I’ve regaled you with shocking pasta titles and thrown down the arm wrestling gauntlet let’s get to the Hussy Pasta already.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil (I used 3 regular olive oil and 1 basil infused oil)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 14 oz tomatoes (cut up) or tomato sauce (I used sauce for speed)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste (blech!)
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- Parsley to taste
- 1 package of spaghetti noodles
- In a large saute pan over medium low heat pour in your oil and heat till it glistens.
- Add your onion and shallot. Cook until they start to get a golden colour. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your stove. Still often. Add more oil if it gets too dry.
- Add your garlic and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- While the garlic is cooking put on a large stock pot full of water and bring that water to a boil. Add salt.
- Add the tomatoes/sauce to the onion/garlic pan and bring it to a bubble.
- Add your capers and spices. Stir well.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In the meantime pop your noodles in the water. Cook until al dente, which is typically about a minute less than the package says.
- Reserve a cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- Drain the noodles but DO NOT RINSE. There is flavour in there. Do not send that flavour down your drain people!
- Transfer the noodles to the pan with the sauce and stir well over low heat.
- Add pasta water as needed to bring the sauce together. Add a little at a time, you can always add more but you can't take away. Always a good rule of thumb for pasta water.
- Make sure you stir it all up and turn off the heat.
- Add your parsley to taste.
- Serve with a big old Hussy smile!
You can dial back the garlic if you like. We like tons of garlic in our household but not everyone does. Half or quarter it if need be.
You can also dial back the onions or spice.
You can add anchovies or olives. You typically find them in this type of sauce. We just don't care for them.
To enter to win 2 tickets to see Lidia Live in Toronto on February 10th you must leave a blog comment below telling me what your favourite kind of pasta is. Easy peasy! For additional entries you can do any or all of the following: Leave a comment on Aurora Importing’s post. Make sure you pop back here and leave a comment saying you did so. Follow Cravings of a Lunatic by email. Button that says Subscribe via email. Leave a comment with your email addy so I can verify. Follow Isabelle from Crumb by RSS. Leave a comment here letting me know you did so. Like Aurora Importing on Facebook. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Like Cravings of a Lunatic on Facebook. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Isabelle of Crumb on Flickr. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Aurora Importing on Twitter. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Cravings of a Lunatic on Twitter. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Isabelle from Crumb on Twitter. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow me on Pinterest. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Isabelle from Crumb on Pinterest. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Follow Aurora Importing’s Youtube channel. Stop back here to let me know you did so. Tweet about the giveaway. Make sure you tag @AuroraImporting, @CravingsLunatic and @Izzbell in the tweet. You’ll have to get creative to fit it all in. Stop by Aurora Importing and tell them which of the two recipes you like better (mine). If you like mine (you totally should) or Izzy’s (not mine, don’t do it) just shout it out on their page. Then pop back here and let me know you voted. I promise I won’t go check to see who you voted for until this is over. I wouldn’t want to sway (me) the vote (me) or anything (me), that would be wrong (Izz). I would never do such a thing (vote for Kim). Contest is open to Canadians. Contest ends this Friday, February 8th at 5 pm. Please make sure you include contact info in case you win. We will contact you at precisely 5:05 pm on Friday so you have time to make plans and dust off your best get into trouble shoes. Draw will be done by random.org. If winner does not respond by midnight Friday evening we will have to redraw since the event is Sunday. As always please leave additional comments for each entry otherwise they count as one entry. More comments, more entries. It’s drawn by a random number generator so each comment counts as one entry!
Giveaway winner is Chelsea, entry #25. Congrats to Chelsea and thank you to everyone who entered.
Okay so go vote for me. Not Izz!
Toodles and smoochies! xx