Okay, so where do I begin….
This recipe is my Mom’s. Those who read regularly likely know my Mom passed away when I was a teenager. She was incredible. She also made the BEST apple crisp in the world. Up until now I’ve never shared it. I am still questioning whether or not I should.
Not because I don’t want to…
but because I messed this freaking thing up….
for the first time ever….
in over 30 years….
and I don’t want to show it to you….
cuz it’s embarrassing!
This past week I was posting every day, and up until the last post I had my recipes done well in advance and all perfect like. Then all heck broke loose here and I fell behind. So I made this apple crisp late last night. And I literally forgot one of the most important ingredients. Seriously!
*hangs her head in shame*
So what did I learn from this?
Well…so many things really.
Mostly I learned….
ruined apple crisp still tastes good on ice cream. Thanks Cheryl James. You rock my world.
Today would not be complete without some memories. I do not have access to all my photos since my ‘puter is still in the shop but I found a couple and jazzed them up for you.
Things I loved about my Mom:
Her sense of humour.
Her deep love for family.
Her wild Irish temper.
Her love of cowboy boots.
Her open mind.
Her. Just simply her.
I miss her every single day.
So hug your Moms.
Because you can!
I hope you have an amazing Mother’s Day folks. I felt so thrilled yesterday when I noticed my parent’s lilac bush blooming in the back yard (we bought my folks home after my dad passed). The bush has been there as long as I can remember.
I’m clipping some branches off and tying then in bunches to bring to the cemetery. Four bunches for Mom, and four bunches for Dad. One for each of us kids. It will be a nice way to do something for my siblings who don’t live here. I’m also bringing some clippings from my cherry blossom trees which are blooming as well. Those will be tied with ribbons from all the grand-kids. I think it will be so much nicer than buying something.
So where did I go wrong with mine?
Well I forgot to add the flour.
I know right.
I’ve made this dish a gazillion times and this is the first time it did not turn out. I opened the oven door to soup.
I tried to salvage it. It worked taste wise, but the appearance is sort of horrible.
I apologize and will take new photos when I remake it.
In the meantime check out these other Sunday Supper recipes where people planned ahead:
- Mother’s Day Brunch:
- Blueberry Coffee Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cornbread Pancakes with Blackberries from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Crepes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot N Sweet Mango Chutney from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Lemon Glazed Raspberry Scones from Juanita’s Cocina
- Quiche Lorraine from Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Quiche from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote from Noshing with the Nolands
- Sweet French Breakfast Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Vidalia Onion Quiche from Comfy Cuisine
Mother’s Day Entrees:
- Cod with Stewed Tomatoes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Herbed Goat Cheesefrom Foxes Love Lemons
- Lemon Risotto from Healthy. Delicious.
- Lobster Ravioli with Shrimp Caper Sauce from Family Foodie
- Pork dumpling (Shumai) from The Urban Mrs.
Mother’s Day Sides:
- Spaetzle from Magnolia Days
Mother’s Day Desserts and Drinks:
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Gotta Get Baked
- Chocolate Kahlua Cream Pie from Ruffles & Truffles
- Espresso Brownies from What Smells So Good?
- Fresh Blackberry Elderflower Sorbet from Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Fig and Walnut Pie from Vintage Kitchen
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake with Chocolate Ganache, Berries, and Fresh Whipped Cream fromNeighborfood
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies from girlichef
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Pies and Plots
- Lemon Petit Fours from Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Sorbet in Prosecco from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Milky Way Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Coconut Pies from La Cocina de Leslie
- Mini Strawberry and Cheese Pies from Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Apple Crisp from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mom’s Texas Sheetcake from Daily Dish Recipes
- Raspberry and Hazlenut Friands from Happy Baking Days
- Semolina Balls (Suji Laddoo) from Soni’s Food
- Too-Good-to-Be-Lowfat Chocolate Eclair Icebox Dessert from The Weekend Gourmet
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 12th to celebrate Mother’s day! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes that celebrate mom. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Thanks to Isabel of Family Foodie for being our fearless leader for Sunday Supper each week. This lady rocks! Also a big thank you to our hostess this week, Heather of Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. You did a fabulous job hosting for Mother’s Day.
Happy Mother’s Day everyone!
Toodles and smoochies! xx