Spicy Steak Fajitas with Caramelized Shallots and Onions #SundaySupper

Spicy Steak Fajitas with Carameliized Shallots and Onions

There is nothing I like better than shallots caramelized in a cast iron pan. It’s simple, yet so full of flavour. Any chance I get to make something that includes caramelized shallots and onions I jump at the chance. It adds this slightly sweet tone to any dish.

When Sunday Supper announced we would be celebrating Cinco de Mayo for this week’s theme I just knew Steak Fajitas with Caramelized Shallots and Onions was the way to go. I have a serious weakness for steak fajitas. I could eat them every day. And often do.

This is one of the simplest recipes you will ever make. Minus the tortillas you only need 5 ingredients. You can make it all in one skillet if you like. I tend to like to use two since I feel I have more control that way. But I’m a control freak, and you likely aren’t so feel free to use one.

If you’re a regular reader you know my ‘puter is off for service. It crashed on me this past week, 10 days after the warranty was up. Lovely right. So I’m using mini-me’s ‘puter to work and also edit photos. I’m using PicMonkey to edit my photos. I used to use Photoscape but mini’me’s ‘puter refuses to allow it to be downloaded. I’m exploring PicMonkey and hopefully I can figure out how to jazz up my pics. It’s great fun to use. Apart from the fact that most of the fun stuff I want to use isn’t included in the free version. So far it’s going well and I’m having fun playing around with it.

Spicy Steak Fajitas

Fun pics right. Lots of cool tweaks you can do on PicMonkey.

I wanted to let you know there will be some random days this week where I have to double post. I apologize to anyone who hates when us bloggers double post. But sometimes we have multiple commitments and cannot get around it. I’ll try to make it worth your while though. Seriously worth your while, I promise.

In the meantime I am urging you to try these fajitas. They are so easy to make, perfect for busy folks who tend to bite off more than they can chew…

*looks around and tries to pretend this doesn’t apply to her*

Spicy Steak Fajitas

Spicy Steak Fajitas #SundaySupper

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: Feeds about 4

Serving Size: 2 Fajitas

Spicy Steak Fajitas #SundaySupper

Simple recipe to make Steak Fajitas with lots of caramelized shallots and onions.

• 2 pounds of steak, cut into thin strips (use what you love, more info on cuts in notes)
  • 1 large Sweet Onion, cut into thin strips
  • 5 to 6 Shallots, cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1 splash of chipotle sauce
  • 1 package of medium sized tortillas
  • olive oil for pans

• Add a little oil to a cast iron pan and bring to a medium heat, add shallots and onions. Cook over medium heat until the shallots and onions turn a golden brown. Depending on the heat and size of pan this should take any where from about 15 to 20 minutes. About 5 minutes before they are caramelized you will need to cook the steak.
  • In a separate pan, (or same pan if you're not ocd like me) cook the steak in a bit of oil over medium high heat. Stir every so often to brown all sides. Depending on the heat and size of pan, this should only take 5 to 8 minutes. Add the chipotle sauce and barbecue sauce and cook for about 2 minutes more. It should blend in nicely and and thicken a bit. If you sauce is a runny type you can add about 1/4 teaspoon of cornstarch to help thicken it while cooking for those last 2 minutes.
  • If you cooked the shallots and onions in a separate pan combine them now and stir well over heat till it comes together.
  • Take off heat and scoop into tortillas.
  • Serve with a big old "my breath is now offensive" smile!

Steak Cut Choices:

Okay this a personal decision. I find most people have their own faves.

I tend to dislike sirloin in a big bad way. I'm partial to striploin and tenderloin cuts. Quite often I break down my own tenderloin so I use the small pieces I cut off to make the steaks uniform in size to make fajitas and stir fries.

Sometimes I will also buy blade roasts and cut those up as well. If I use blade I will marinate for an hour or two. A good, cheap and easy marinade is Italian Salad Dressing.

For this particular recipe I used a blade roast and cut it up myself.

Spicy Steak Fajitas

Make sure you stop by the Sunday Supper crew’s posts. Thanks to Jen of Juanita’s Cocina for hosting this week’s event. And a huge thank you to our Sunday Supper fearless leader Isabel of Family Foodie.

Cinco de Mayo Appetizers & Sides {Aperitivos}:

Cinco de Mayo Main Dishes {Platos Principales}:

Cinco de Mayo Desserts {Postres}:

Cinco de Mayo Drinks {Bebidas}:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, May 5th to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Thanks so much for visiting. Hope you have a spectacular Sunday. We’re going to see Iron Man 3 today. So excited to see it, huge fan of Robert Downey Jr. Sorry hubs.

Great recipes that go with Spicy Steak Fajitas:

Smashed Potatoes with Onions and Meyer Lemon Dressing

Aerosmith Potatoes with Meyer Lemon and Garlic Salt

Spicy Oven Fries

Roast Potatoes

Smashed Potatoes with Bacon

Comments

Good job on the pics with unfamiliar tools! BTW, you can download free 30-day trials on Lightroom and Photoshop – though both of those programs do take some time to learn. Especially since you’re downloading the full versions. Anyway, what does this have to do with fajitas? Absolutely nothing! Yours look superb. Great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. And you have super light on all of your pictures. Thanks for this.

• 2
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much John. I love fajitas. They are one of my top 10 foods, I eat them whenever possible.

I actually downloaded both free versions, but they are on the laptop that’s in for service. Not sure if they are transferable or not. I think once we get back from Disney I’m going to invest in them. Maybe start with lightroom, then get photoshop.

Can you believe I don’t have a cast iron pan? I used to have 2 really nice ones but thought they were too heavy to bring from the states so I gave them to the kids. I love cooking in a cast iron skillet so I’ll need to get one. I LOVE your fajitas!

Looks so good I wanted to lick the screen just to see if I could get a taste. Great photos too.

Oh, I agree with the caramelized shallots, so great on everything. Love these fajitas, and they are so simple! Hope you get your computer back soon Kim. Have a good day!

• 9
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I am such a sucker for shallots, I always say the word like Curtis Stone. It makes me giggle every time.

Me too. I’m lost with my pc. My daughter’s is the exact same one but it’s funny how she sets hers up differently and it totally throws me off. lol

I have wanted to try PicMonkey as I’ve heard it’s pretty cool. I use Lightroom, which I love, but new is fun sometimes. Your fajitas look wonderful, caramelized onions go with anything if you ask me, this is a great idea. :)

• 11
      Kim Beaulieu says:

It really is fun. Lots of cool features to jazz photos up. I have lightroom and photoshop on trial but on my other pc, which is gone. Nice timing right. lol! Ideally I’d love both lightroom and photoshop but we’ll see how the budget goes.

I am such a sucker for caramelized food. Thanks so much Judy.

I could eat shallots and steak fajitas every day as well…perhaps we should start a self-help group. Or not. Then, we’d have to eat fewer fajitas. No bueno! I use Pic Monkey for captions and other fun tricks, but haven’t explored it at length…

• 13
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I think we should. And we should serve fajitas with caramelized shallots at the first meeting.

PicMonkey is definitely fun. I miss my ‘puter though. I really need to invest in some software soon, and an external hard drive.

How odd and wonderful that I woke up to your post this morning! I had done an assessment of what was in our fridge last night and had decided on steak fajitas for cinqo de mayo…I usually do chicken but we had an unused steak from our Friday bbq so steak fajitas it will be :)

• 15
      Kim Beaulieu says:

That’s perfect timing Bernice. I love steak fajitas so much. I tend to be a big beef girl. Not really politically correct these days but it’s totally true.

EVERY time I go to a Mexican restaurant I get fajitas. My wife doesn’t like them…so can I just come live with you?

Sorry you had ‘puter issues. But, thanks for the photo monkey tip.

You are too cute! I’ve done 3 posts in one day…sheesh, what was I thinking? LOVE your fajitas with the caramelized onions/shallots….I’m tossing my tacos out the door and making your dish instead.

• 21
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I know right, it just happens sometimes. I always worry I’ll chuff off my readers. But they seem cool with it.

Thanks so much. I laughed out loud at your comment. I’m picturing your neighbor getting beaned by tacos.

Oh. My. Gosh!!! These look incredible (and so do your photos).
    I would eat these every day too.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    Think I’ll make them…STAT.

Oh my! Looks delicious with the onions!

I can’t imagine how good these taste – caremelized shallots, wonderful!

Your twist on Mexican looks so satisfying my friend :)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Good gravy, Bestie! I’m droolin’ all over my hot, sexy self!
    Caramelized onions are all that and a bag of chips!

P.S. Great editing job! Even better than PicMonkey is Ribbet. LOADS of special features that you can’t find on PicMonkey and it’s 100% free! http://www.ribbet.com/

• 31
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Lol Becca, I’m too old for giggling like this, I may have peed my pants over your comment.

Thanks. I shall have to check that one out.

I could just eat those onions and shallots! They’re some of my faves

I swear, everything tastes better in cast iron! Your Fajitas look amazing.

Dang, girl! Could you just wrap that pan in duct tape and send it my way?!?! Thx. (AMAZING.)

Wow – the flavors in these fajitas sound amazing! I also adore shallots..the flavor is just so wonderful…and in a cast iron pan? Oh buddy. I still need to get my hands on a cast iron pan for my kitchen. I don’t have one!

I agree – nothing better than carmelized shallots! These look amazing!

What awesome pictures! You completely have me drooling!!

Okay, its beef fajitas tonight for me1

Why the heck would someone mind if a blogger double-triple-posts? The way I see it, it’s more deliciousness that’s being put into the world and that’s always a good thing. Like these steak fajitas – dang, these look amazing Kim! The beef looks so juicy and flavourful, and I’m loving the caramelized shallots. I hope your computer comes back to you soon, good as new!

Oh my goodness!! This looks insanely good.

We love Fajitas in my house. Can’t wait to give this a try!

Do you use a specific brand of chipotle sauce? These look delicious!

• 46
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I actually use a Canadian brand, it’s called President’s Choice and is carried by some of the local grocery stores. I just look for one that has a really rich colour. If it looks fake red I won’t buy it. Hope that helps.

• 47
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Oh and thank you. I forgot my Canuck manners for a moment. Glad you like them. xx