Simple recipe to make Strawberry Brownie Parfaits topped with strawberry flavoured cream cheese whipped cream. You’re going to love this dessert!
One of the perks of being a food blogger is having food blogger friends who start up their own businesses. Not going to lie, its a huge bonus that comes with the job. My friend Heidi of Young Grasshopper is one of those friends. She started a business called Not So Simple Syrup. She asked if I’d like to try it out. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. I love simple syrups and I think it’s a great business idea. While lots of folks make their own, there’s also lots of people out there who do not have the time or inclination to make it. Having some on hand for parties is crucial when entertaining. So I really have great faith Not So Simple Syrup is going to be a huge success.
Heidi sent me a sample of the Strawberry Infused Simple Syrup and the Mint Infused Simple Syrup. Both are equally amazing. The mint is great in cocktails, and sangria. Due to some minor health issues I cannot consume alcohol so I use my simple syrups in non alcoholic drinks, in baking and also in ice cream. I asked Heidi if I could post a recipe that was a little outside the box for a simple syrup. She said yes, and this is the result of me colouring outside the lines. As I do often.
I love using simple syrups to macerate berries. Simple syrups are divine drizzled over fruit salads. So I knew I wanted to incorporate that idea into the recipe. However that was too easy of a leap so I wanted to take it a step beyond that. I use simple syrups in dips and fillings as well for some added flavour boost. So I thought I’d add a little to the cheesecake type filling for the parfaits. That way it would just add another level of strawberry flavour to the dish. It worked beautifully. The syrup is not overwhelming at all, it’s subtle and just sheer perfection in fillings. You get that hint of flavour without getting smacked in the face with it. That’s the kind of dessert I love. Not one element over powers the others.
You can use store-bought brownies and whipped cream if you like. I’m not above cheating when time is of the essence. I made my own brownies for this because I was testing out some brownie ideas any way. So I had some left over. Parfaits are a great way to use up leftover brownies, cakes and even cookies. You can buy cool whip if you like for this. I whipped up my own. Honestly, if you have heavy cream on hand it’s super easy to make your own whipped cream. If you don’t have time I think cheating is okay. Never feel guilty if you need to do that. Life’s too short to stress over the small stuff. However if you’re stressing about anything at all these parfaits are a sure-fire way to cheer yourself up.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup Strawberry Not So Simple Syrup
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Strawberry Not So Simple Syrup
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups roughly chopped up brownies (I used The Best Brownies in the World Recipe)
- 2 tablespoons of Strawberry Not So Simple Syrup
- 2 cups Not so Simple Syrup Macerated Strawberries
- 4 cups of Strawberry Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
- Optional Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Pop the strawberries into a glass bowl or container. Add the sugar.Pour the simple syrup over top. Mix it all up and cover. Pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, my recommendation is 2 hours. Softens them just enough while still leaving some texture.
- In your stand mixer bowl, add the heavy cream, sugar and Strawberry Not So Simple Syrup. Start on slow for less splashing, let it start to thicken, then turn it on high and mix until it's fluffy. Add in the softened cream cheese and mix until combined.
- Chop up your brownies into bite sized pieces. Divide into 4 and pop them inside glasses. I used stemless wine glasses for mine.
- Take the 2 tablespoons of Strawberry Not So Simple Syrup and drizzle it over top of the brownie pieces.
- Now put a layer of the macerated strawberries over top of the brownies.
- Add a huge layer of Strawberry Cream Cheese Whipped Cream layer into each one, reserve enough to pipe a little on top of each parfait at the end.
- Add another layer of macerated strawberries over the whipped cream.
- Use a piping bag to top each parfait with a little more whipped cream.
- Take a zester or fine grater and run a piece of chocolate along it to garnish the top of each parfait with chocolate.
- You could top with a strawberry for added pizazz. I used all mine inside the parfaits so I didn't have any left for pizazz.
- Pop in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to a couple of hours.
- Serve with a big old parfait loving smile!
Seriously scrumptious little parfaits. The addition of the Strawberry Simple Syrup was amazing!
I really love Not So Simple Syrups. I used the Strawberry Syrup in these. I made some virgin sangria with the Mint Syrup. It’s a great product. You can freeze it too which is a great option. Heidi recommends freezing it in ice-cube trays so you have some on hand for last-minute cocktails with friends. Such a great idea.
When I love a product I’m always happy to share that with my readers. This is definitely one of those products. They sent me samples to try out. They also sent me a gift basket as a thank you, which I greatly appreciate. For the record I was not paid to review the product, just some free samples passed hands. Full disclosure so you know what the deal is. My motto is I only promote things I love and use. I love and use this one so its an absolute pleasure to sing it’s praises.
Heidi was kind enough to offer up a gift basket for one lucky reader. Open to Canadian and U.S. Residents only. Must be 18 years old to enter. One winner will be drawn.
Disclosure: Cravings of a Lunatic (aka Me) was not paid to promote this product. I was provided two samples to review for this post. I also received a gift basket as a thank you for trying out their products. No money exchanged hands. By now you all know I never mention or promote something unless I fully love it. If I hated something I would never work with that brand. Just not my style. I fully believe this product is going to be a huge success.
Toodles and smoochies! xx