This easy recipe uses only 5 ingredients and is baked in under 20 minutes. Pop it in the fridge to set up for that perfect crisp toffee snap. Sweet meets salty in the most amazing way!
This post has been sponsored by Frito-Lay. All opinions are my own, as always. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support Cravings of a Lunatic.
This recipe is SO easy to make. You can whip it up in under 20 minutes. Then pop it in the fridge to set up for a few hours. You can even pop it in the freezer if you’re short on time.
It’s essentially an easy toffee recipe. Many people know what Cracker Toffee is. This is the same thing, only it uses Lays Wavy potato chips as it’s base instead.
Another name many people know this types of recipe as would be “Christmas Crack”. I hate that name but it’s what people call it for some reason. Not a fan of the name but definitely a fan of this treat.
After developing various versions I fell in love with this one. This sweet and salty combination was one of my favourite recipes. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s perfect for entertaining. It also makes a great gift.
You can eat it as a dessert, or a snack. You can serve it at potlucks, picnics, or even make it for bake sales. I love the versatility of it. It’s a perfect “hack” style recipe. Take something simple and make it even easier.
I love that idea. I’m all about easy recipes. Especially in summer when the weather is gorgeous and I want to be outside playing with the horses. I don’t want to spend a lot of time cooking or baking.
Another issue in summer is not having the stove on for very long. If you’re like me you’re house heats up super fast. I have a 20 minute rule in summer. My stove can only be on for 20 minutes or less, or it doesn’t go on.
This recipe went over SO well with our family and friends. If you’re like most people you probably love the combination of sweet and salty. There’s something about that flavour combination that rocks my world.
So if sweet and salty recipes are your jam too you MUST try this Potato Chip Toffee. I will stress right now that you MUST use Lays Wavy potato chips for this recipe. The thickness of that particular chip is essential.
You need a thick chip to hold up to the toffee. It’s really important. The Lays Wavy potato chips are absolute perfection for this particular recipe. The taste is stellar and the thick chip is perfection for the toffee to grab on to.
I know everyone is always looking for easy recipes they can make quickly before heading out to a friends house, or before their friends come by for dinner. This recipe is for YOU! It’s the perfect easy dessert recipe.
If you’re looking for more awesome summer hacks be sure to check out the Frito-Lay Summer Hacks Pinterest Board.
Be sure to keep this toffee cold to ensure the summer heat doesn’t melt it. Do not leave it outside in the sweltering heat, it will melt the chocolate and soften the toffee. You’ll end up with liquid toffee. Never a good thing.
Pick up a bag of Lays Wavy potato chips today, make this tomorrow. You’re family and friends will thank you.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 2 cups Lays Wavy potato chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed Lays Wavy potato chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 11 x 7 pan with non-stick spray, Line the bottom with Lays Wavy potato chips. Overlap them a little bit so you have a nice thick layer of them on the bottom of the pan. Set the pan aside.
- Combine sugar and butter in a medium saucepan, cook over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes. You want the butter to melt, and the sugar to dissolve, the mixture will turn an amber colour. It's going to bubble up and thicken a bit. Use a whisk to stir the mixture until it comes together perfectly. Then pour the mixture over the potato chips in the pan you set aside earlier.
- Place pan in the oven for about 7 minutes, remove from the oven but leave the oven ON. Toss the chocolate chips over top of the toffee layer and pop the pan back in the oven for about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and smooth out the chocolate right away. I spray the back of a tablespoon with non-stick spray prior to smoothing the chocolate. That way it glides along the chocolate with sticking and making a mess. It's the perfect way to smooth out chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is smooth you can toss the crushed Lays Wavy potato chips on top of the chocolate.
- Allow the pan to cool completely before placing in the fridge. You can score the candy once it's completely cooled. Or score it after about 20 to 30 minutes in the fridge. Scoring will just make it easier to cut later. If you score too soon the toffee will just stick back together. If you wait too long it won't cut properly. Scoring is only needed if you want perfect squares. I rarely score my candy. But thought I'd offer this information to anyone who wanted to.
- Pop it in the fridge to let the toffee harden and "set up". I usually try to let mine set up for at least 2 to 4 hours. But overnight works too. That way when you're ready to snap the toffee it works perfectly.
- If you didn't score the candy you can just break it with a toffee hammer or cut with a knife. Or just smack it to break it, that's always fun too.
- Store the toffee in the fridge for up to a week. If it lasts that long.
- Enjoy with a big old Lays Wavy potato chips loving smile!
This stuff is seriously addictive!
So let’s recap now. Pick up some Lays Wavy potato chips.
Place a layer of Lays Wavy potato chips in a pan.
Make some toffee in a saucepan.
Pour the toffee coating over the chips.
Spread out toffee, then place in oven.
Remove from oven, then add chocolate chips. Place pan back in oven.
Remove pan again, then smooth out the chocolate.
Sprinkle crushed Lays Wavy potato chips over the chocolate.
Let the candy set up, then dig in!
Then dig into a second helping!
Hope you enjoy this Potato Chip Toffee!
If you’re a potato chip fanatic too, be sure to check out the Frito-Lay Summer Hacks Pinterest Board!
PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVOURITE SUMMER SUMMER PINTEREST BOARD!
Check out my Mini FRITOS Taco Salads:
Hope you enjoy this recipe and poke about my recipe index a bit while you’re here. Happy Baking.