This recipe for smashed potatoes is incredibly easy to make and delivers perfect flavour for special occasions. Topped with Sweet Vidalia Onions in Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Boar’s Head. All opinions are 100% mine.
Anyone who knows me is very aware that I LOVE holidays. I love the fact that holidays bring families close together. As my kids get older I really appreciate all holidays because it means I get to spend time with my kids.
I feel that as they get older time with them becomes more and more valuable. They have their own lives and it becomes more difficult to arrange family get-togethers. So, when I see them I never take one moment for granted.
With Easter fast approaching I’m already planning our menu and the things we’ll do while my son visits. He lives in another city about 4 hours from us. So, we’ll pay for him to take the train down for Easter weekend so we can be together.
We’ve already begun discussing what we want to have for Easter dinner. The main event will be Boar’s Head Sweet Slice® Boneless Smoked Ham. If you haven’t tried it yet I highly suggest you run out immediately and buy one. It’s the perfect main course.
The best way to highlight and compliment your Boar’s Head Sweet Slice® Boneless Smoked Ham is to serve it with side dishes that are worthy of it. You want classics, with a twist. Great flavours that will bring out the sweetness of the ham and balance your taste buds.
My kids LOVE smashed potatoes. It’s a love like no other. I make them for every single holiday. Sometimes I make multiple versions of them so everyone gets their favourite. My table usually collapses from all the side options I have on it.
For me, variety is the spice of life. I love to have options. That goes for cooking, eating, and shopping for ingredients. We took a trip to a local deli to pick up our Boar’s Head Sweet Slice Ham. While there we picked up lots of other Boar’s Head products.
I absolutely love Boar’s Head Sweet Vidalia Onions in Sauce. I use it on just about everything. It works well on potatoes, but also sandwiches and sliders. You can even use it in quiches and breakfast hash. It’s incredibly versatile.
Another personal favourite of mine is the Boar’s Head Deli Dressing.This stuff is like liquid gold, I kid you not. I put it on everything. It is perfect on top of salads and vegetables. It also makes a great drizzle for sliders, subs, and hoagies.
I’m not going to lie, I made the most amazing Ham and Swiss Sliders with this product. I used slider buns topped with leftover ham, piled on cheese, poured the Deli Dressing over it all and baked it in the oven. To. Die. For.
What I really love about this company is how friendly and helpful they are. I called their 1-800 number to get some information about products in our area. The rep was so incredibly helpful and just made the whole process so much fun.
She recommended stores and products. She chatted about quality and seasonal items. We even chatted about recipes. She put me in touch with the local deli and made sure I had her contact information in case I needed further assistance.
That kind of customer service is rare these days. I know, that make me sound old. It’s okay, I am old. I’m darn proud of that fact. With age comes experience. It also means I know good customer service when I see it. Boar’s Head has it in spades.
I called the local deli to inquire about getting a whole ham. The butcher was incredibly helpful and went over everything with me on the phone. When we picked up the ham he went above and beyond to make sure we were happy.
Needless to say, we were thrilled with everything and could not be happier. If you need help with anything just call their help line, it’s 1-800-352-6277. They will help you with any questions you have about locating products near you.
I highly recommend you serve a Boar’s Head Sweet Slice Ham for Easter. Then make my Smashed Potatoes with Vidalia Onions and Mozzarella to go with it. This recipe will rock your side dish world. Your guests will flip their lids.
For now, I’m counting the days until my family gathers around the table for Easter dinner. I love having everyone under one roof for holidays. As a mom, it’s just the most amazing feeling in the world to have all your kids home for holidays.
We’ll be making this meal again. My daughter is a huge smashed potato fanatic so I’m constantly coming up with new ways to make them. If you follow my blog you know we have a “serious” smashed potato obsession.
Be sure to buy a huge ham so you have tons of leftovers. I make sliders and sandwiches with leftover ham. I also use leftover ham in casseroles and quiches. There’s so much you can do with leftover ham so you can never have enough on hand.
I hope your Easter weekend is filled with love, laughter, and lots of amazing food. The most important thing you can do this holiday season is to spend every minute you can with family. Life is always better when you’re surrounded by loved ones.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 2½ pounds baby red potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup Boar's Head Sweet Vidalia Onions in Sauce
- ⅓ cup Boar's Head Deli Dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Clean potatoes before use.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and a dash of salt, add potatoes and cook over medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat, drain and rinse potatoes. Place on a parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet. Use a flat bottomed glass to press down on each potato to "smash" or flatten them.
- Drizzle olive oil over top of each potato.
- Place the pan in the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes. You want the potatoes to just begin to turn golden around the edges. Remove pan from oven carefully.
- Flip each potato over with a spatula.
- In a small bowl combine the Boar's Head Sweet Vidalia Onions in Sauce and Boar's Head Deli Dressing. Mix with a spoon or tiny whisk until smooth. Using a spoon drizzle a little of the mixture over each potato.
- Then sprinkle each potato with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a tiny mound of mozzarella cheese over each potato.
- Place back in 400 degree F oven and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how you like your cheese. Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve with Boar's Head Sweet Slice Ham and a big old potato loving smile!
PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVOURITE EASTER RECIPES BOARD!
Also, take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes, among other things.
You should also follow me on Instagram. I share all my new recipes to Instagram when they come out.