Cravings of a Lunatic is a recipe website that chronicles the cooking adventures of Kim Beaulieu, aka Lunie as she is known by her readers. Kim’s passion is easy, family friendly fare that is as fun to make as it is to eat. The website offers a wide variety of recipes from crazy ice creams, to spectacular meals for the busy mom, to indulgent desserts for the brave and wide bottomed. Kim likes to push the boundaries of sanity when it comes to desserts and can often be found barefoot in the kitchen, singing and making a complete mess. She will then pretend to be needed for some important project when it’s time to do the dishes. This is often when she sneaks in time to play on pinterest with her finger at the ready to shift to another tab should the dish soap dripping hubs wander in to ask a question he should probably already know the answer to. She also loves to use run on sentences almost as much as she loves to turn any recipe into a turtle treat. It’s a gift not many possess.
Cravings of a Lunatic was started in 2011 when a beloved friend suggested Kim start a blog. The naive Kim had no idea the blog would turn into such an obsessive hobby, turned rewarding career. As a stay at home mom for 24 years Kim has made the transition from mom to Ma’am in a seamless fashion, just don’t look too closely at her laundry room or in her closets and that fantasy will remain intact. Her goal is to teach her readers that they can cook for their family easily, quickly and have a great time doing it. The key is to lighten up and not take the kitchen so seriously. Or life for that matter.
Kim is a Canuck through and through. She is very proud of her Canadian status, even if it means some products are not available where she lives. You can find her complaining about that from time to time. She is determined to bring unusual and hard to find ingredients to her neck of the woods. When she can’t she heads state-side to procure things like fun cereal and cherry candy. Do not mock her, these culinary treasures are weirdly important to her. She will not be happy until Trix cereal becomes a Canadian staple. If you would like to help her in this endeavour please feel free to write to Trix on her behalf. One letter at a time we will change the world.
Kim strives to keep you entertained while waddling through life with a full belly. She continues to improve her photography skills while struggling with grammar. She swears when her kids hit University the part of her brain that controls her grammar stopped working. Her son B-Dude is convinced she does it to rile him up since he’s an English Literature Major. Her daughter, who she calls mini-me just thinks she likes to stir up trouble. They are both not wrong. Her husband is too busy doing dishes to offer any insight at all.
For anyone craving more about their favourite Lunatic read on if you must!
25 Random Things You Should Know About Your Lunatic:
1. Kim prefers to bake but is probably a better cook than baker.
2. Kim is an extremely picky eater and has an extensive list of foods she dislikes.
3. Kim does not like things to touch on her plate. If something wet meets something that isn’t supposed to be she will not eat it.
4. Kim does not like seafood. Her Dad loved it and brought home lobsters once. He put them in the bathtub to keep them fresh. Kim’s friend, Tracy named them. Needless to say she could not eat Henry and Henrietta.
5. Kim does not believe in the 5 second rule. If it hits the ground it’s outta here.
6. Kim loves pistachios. Way too much. It’s like a sickness. Quite frankly she needs an intervention.
7. Kim abhors pickles. They creep her out. She thinks they are shriveled up cucumbers who never reached their full potential. Plus she thinks they smell gross.
8. Kim only recently become a fan of the food network. She had never watched a cooking show until 2011. Her goal in life is to eat Paula’s pre-diabetes recipes but look like Giada. Also Alton freaks her out. He’s too smart and she’s thinks he might be a robot.
9. Kim tends to wander around the house and yard barefoot no matter what the weather. She loves socks and adore shoes but detests wearing either. She wishes the world was shoeless and it was socially acceptable to go to the grocery store in her jammies with no socks or shoes.
10. Kim does not like to have her picture taken. Not sure if it’s due to the fact that her Dad took pics of the kids ad nauseam or if it’s because she’s not a size 4/6 any more. There are very few pics of her out there. She destroys them all whenever possible.
11. She does not like gravy. Okay it’s out there. Kick her out of the foodie community immediately. It’s total blasphemy.
12. Kim prefers savory but uses mostly sweet. It’s a pickle. *ack*
13. Kim loves, loves, loves Taco Bell. She realizes this is not acceptable in the upper class culinary world. Yet she cannot help herself. She can be overheard multiple timer per week saying “Can I get a combo #2, steak with no sauce and no tomatoes, nachos instead of fries with a pepsi?” Yup, total addict!!!
14. Kim does not like tomatoes. But she loves ketchup. And spaghetti sauce. *scratches head on this one*
15. Kim does not like eggs. I mean she hates them. Yet for some weird reason about once a year she will get a craving for a boiled egg with salt on it that cannot be controlled. She cannot stop herself, she just has to make them. She gets really excited, loves the smell, mashes them all up with butter and salt. Then she takes about 2 or 3 bites and realizes she hates eggs. Yet she will do it over and over every year. If anyone knows a good shrink for this send them to Canada asap!
16. Kim hates mac n cheese. Yet she does the above routine with it once a year as well. Seriously someone get her some help immediately!!!
17. Kim is not a social cook. She likes people to leave her alone while she is in the kitchen. She will take your head off if you offer to help. If she says no and you try to help anyway she will slap you. You’ve been warned. Back away! S l o w l y !
18. Kim gets side tracked really easily. Case in point, she originally forgot 18 and had to come back to edit it.
19. Kim is lactose intolerant and does not really like cheese. Unless it’s on pizza, lasagna, tacos, or in grated Parmesan form. You will never see her eat a slice of cheese just to try it.
20. Kim loves pork, I mean really, really, really loves pork. But pork does not like her. Apparently most people with colon issues have this problem. It stays in your colon for something like 72 hours or so. Don’t quote her but she says it’s around that number. Isn’t that a lovely little tidbit of information. Aren’t you glad you’re reading right now?
21. As much as Kim loves to eat and cook, she generally only eats once a day. And she eats really late. Part of this is due to her IBS. If she eats, she gets sick. So she tends not to eat until she is home for the day. Sometimes she eats around 10 pm. She hates it but is trying hard to change this habit. It was something she did out of necessity to spend time with her kids and attend after school activities without problems. It’s a work in progress.
22. Kim and family do not really eat at the table on a regular basis. She grew up in a really regimented household where they ate at 4:30 every night. If it wasn’t on the table at that time or the kids were late all heck would break loose. Dinner time was unpleasant. So she rebelled against a set dinner time and sitting at the table. Her own kids will grow up and want to eat at a set time at the table. Life’s a never-ending circle.
23. Until Kim blogged she never followed a recipe. She is one of those people we all hate who don’t write things down. She has been making lasagna since she was a teenager but if anyone asked for the recipe she would be all “what recipe?” She is a fly by the seat of her pants, no plan, roll with the punches kind of gal. But only with cooking. With everything else in life she is Martha all the way.
24. Kim recently used her little blow torch tool for the first time. She has had it for 3 years. So here’s the lowdown. This is another weird, twitchy thing about her. She loves getting new things for the kitchen but then she wants them to stay new and shiny forever. So she won’t use them. When she got her new stove it took her months to turn it on for the first time. She didn’t want to ruin its prettiness. People would try to use the water dispenser on the new fridge and she would start to have convulsions. Don’t even ask about the meat thermometer that came with my stove. *it’s still in the package* ….*stove is 5 years old*….* she has problems*
25. Kim had only read one blog before deciding to start her own. She still struggles to understand the techie blogging world but she welcomes it with open arms.