Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

Okay so I made Paula Deen’s Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits. Can you say yummilicious? I know I can. Especially after eating these things. So good.

The downside….

I now know why she put the pistachios in the cream. To avoid the parfait glasses looking like they are dusty from the pistachios bits. I laughed my butt off when I looked at all my photos and realized it looks like I used unclean glasses. Live and learn. And I mean if hitting my learning curve means eating copious amounts of things like this, well, I can totally stand to keep on learning,

I only did a couple of things different from Miss Paula. I used juice instead of alcohol to macerate the berries. I love macerated berries and could eat them every day, With my IBS I cannot use alcohol though. So I used orange juice. Not just any orange juice either. I happened on some satsumas at the store which blew my mind. So I picked up a case and I used some to macerate the strawberries. So much better than alcohol. If you ever see satsuma oranges you must buy them. I also of course did not put the pistachios in the cream. I omitted the cinnamon. I left out the chocolate chips as well. I adjusted the cream a bit. Not much. I mean who am I to mess with Paula perfection right.

Hope you enjoy and make this yourself. Just be sure you use clean parfait glasses!

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 Parfaits

Serving Size: 1 Parfait

A wonderfully easy dessert recipe perfect for strawberry season!

• 1 pound of strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 3 Satsuma Oranges, freshly squeezed
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped roughly
  • 1 package Amaretto D’Italia cookies (200g/7.05oz Matilde Vicenzi), crushed

• Cut up your strawberries. Slice oranges in half and squeeze the juice over the berries. If your oranges are large you could cut this down to 2.
  • Place the berries in a glass container and stick in the fridge for about 2 to 4 hours. Give it a shake every hour if you can.
  • Now in a mixer combine your heavy cream and confectioners sugar. Whip until peaks form.
  • Place your ricotta in a large bowl. Stir in ½ the whipped cream and mix a bit. Then add other ½ and fold it in.
  • Place a layer of crushed cookies in the bottom of your glasses.
  • Add a layer of strawberries.
  • Add a light layer of pistachios.
  • Add a layer of cannoli cream.
  • Repeat steps for a second layer.
  • Top with chopped pistachios.
  • Add a strawberry garnish on top.
  • Refrigerate for about an hour or more.
  • Serve with a big old strawberry, cannoli-y, pistachio smile!

Slightly adapted from Paula Deen

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

I sure hope everyone is enjoying their weekends. I’m hoping to feel well enough to hit the Art in the Park tomorrow. Mini-me is doing a bit better. Luckily my brother works with her at the grocery store so he was able to cover for her this morning. Thank goodness for kind family members. Ken you rock! She is however making pizza for half the town tonight. It’s her night to close. So if half of our hometown is sick tomorrow I apologize. I’m not sure she could get two nights off in a row. If you live in Essex I would recommend not ordering pizza tonight. Unless you want a side of flu. Just sayin’!

Comments

These are so pretty!! Who wouldn’t like one of these?

I think it looks good to have the pistachios layered in like that. Very pretty! I hope you are all feeling better and you can get out and about tomorrow!

• 4
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks Valerie. You know me and pistachios, any excuse to put them in a dessert. I am hopeful I can at least hit the barn tomorrow, maybe even art in the park. *crosses fingers*

These area just gorgeous! And the glasses don’t look dusty ;) Beautiful parfaits… I’ll be right over! Save me one please

• 6
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks and lol, I was so freaked out when I went in to edit the photos. I shall save you a big one.

Shut-the-front-door, these are faaaancy! I love everything about these parfaits, Kim. Gorgeous!

I’m not a huge fan of Paula but these look delicious!

oh my goodness gorgeous! what a beautiful summery creation! i always want to bake with pistachios, but i can never find any without salt! any suggestions??

• 12
      Kim Bee says:

I use salted ones quite often in baking cuz I don’t mind the salt in most dishes. But you can find unsalted ones at some stores. Oddly our Shoppers Drug Mart was carrying them. I am not 100% sure but I wonder if rinsing them in water would get rid of some of the saltiness. I know some big time cooks/bakers use that technique to get rid of the skin on them so they are super green with no dust or pieces. I don’t have the patience. I’m eating them as fast as I use them.

Ah, it’s a beautiful thing indeed Ms. Loonybin! I only wish the glasses were double in size!

• 14
      Kim Bee says:

Lol Jeff. I almost woke the family reading that. I have a good appetite and I had trouble finishing mine.

Love. Love the pistachios. Love the berries. Love it all.

That is all.

What simply gorgeous parfaits my friend – it truly is a shame I am too greedy to not eat them and preserve their beauty ;)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

These parfaits look fabulous… definitely will may my tummy happy! Gorgeous pictures!! Hope you feel great tonight!

I’m glad you guys are all on the road to recovery, but I’m definitely going to avoid pizza if I’m in that direction. Anchovies and flu bugs are things I definitely don’t order on my pies.

The parfaits are beautiful. I tried to find the pistachio dust, but couldn’t see it (but i didn’t have my glasses on either).

• 22
      Kim Bee says:

Yup, avoid the pizza in the area like the plague cuz it’s kind of contaminated with the plague. Lol.

Thanks. I am in love with the photos for this one. So happy they turned out well.

It might be because I don’t have my contacts in quite yet, but I think your glasses look beautiful! These parfaits sounds delicious too =)

So pretty!! Paula knows her stuff…i’m super loyal to her monster cookie recipe (you just have to try and look past the 4 sticks of butter….) haha. But LOVING these parfaits! The pistachio canonoli combo sounds awesome :)

• 26
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks. She sure does. I’ve never tried those cookies, I must test those out. Butter never intimidates me, it should, but it doesn’t, lol! These are so good. I am loving Paula big time after these.

that looks simply gorgeous! I’ve got some fresh strawberries from the farmer’s market that’s just crying out for this. great one! I haven’t heard much about paula deen because we tend to get more news and recipes from british chefs here, i’ll be sure to check her out!

• 28
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks. You should try this out. It’s easy and delicious. Paula is at the heart of some controversy here. She was diagnosed with diabetes and didn’t tell her fans for quite some time. Luckily I love her anyway. She does a lot of rich, buttery, sugary food. Which personally I love. Lol.

Fab! Now that strawberries are at its prime, this is just the recipe to stumble upon. Those are just gorgeous and sound so delicious. Definitely on my must-make-soon list.

• 30
      Kim Bee says:

It is so good. Let me know if you try this one out. I was so impressed with it. It looks and tastes like it’s so difficult but it’s so easy.

These look really good. I pretty much adore all of the ingredients so I am sure the combination is divine.

Gorgeous! I love this flavor combination!

Do you know, I’ve *never* had a cannoli with pistachios in it. But so many recipes use pistachios that it just makes me kind of scratch my head. Maybe it’s a southern thing (because it’s Paula Deen? I don’t know)?

Irregardless, these sound so light and fresh that I can’t stand it! And sooo pretty; I love the sliced berry on top!

• 36
      Kim Bee says:

This is the first time I’ve done it with pistachios. Super good. I see tons use chocolate chips lately. That looks good too.

Thanks. I had fun with the photos for this one.

These look yummy, dear twin! I have a definite thing for cannoli but it’s such a pain to make that I rarely do., With this I could get the taste without the work not to mention I could convince myself it’s healthy due to the fruit hehe

I love these parfaits. Look at those strawberries. How come my strawberries don’t look like that? Beautiful!

• 40
      Kim Bee says:

Thanks. I know right. They were giant mutant strawberries. We have some huge berries at our market right now.

These are REALLY beautiful! FAB pics and yummolicious!

I was surprised when I read the recipe how easy these are – they are extremely impressive looking! And I would’ve never noticed your “dirty” glasses if you hadn’t mentioned it :)

• 44
      Kim Bee says:

I know right. I did the same thing. Thought I was missing something. But they are so simple and good. They feel fancy but take none of the hard work fancy desserts do.

I don’t think I would have noticed the “dustiness” if you hadn’t pointed out. They look all kinds of good to me!

Hi Kim – I found you via Liz and against my better wishes – I am making half your stuff. You will be very dangerous for my weight control. I do want these – I probably won’t use the cream and do my traditional cannoli cream recipe – but I love the presentation and shall mirror it – what a tasty blog!

My god, this is a brilliant recipe! If you don’t stop making such amazing creations, I’m going to have to give up food for good. I swear, I’m getting fatter just looking at it!

They sound so good and look fantastic (pistachio dust or not)! Thank you for sharing them on my Manic Monday Party ((HUGS))

This looks seriously gorgeous!

Debra Kapellakis says:

Just looking at the photo’s made me drool.

These look so good!!!

what. gorgeous. photos. i am like, just struck by how incredible these parfaits look. yum!
    seriously, i love these as a summer dessert. just perfect for a hot day.

These look amazing!!! I’m a sucker for anything “cannoli”, so creative to make parfaits out of them.

1. […]  Today I am guest blogging at the Cravings of a Lunatic blog. Kim is a barefoot cook who hates eggs, tomatoes and mac n cheese and if different foods touch on her plate, she throws a hissy fit. Did you notice the name of her blog? All this plus plenty more makes her one very entertaining woman and she sure can cook. Look at the side bar on her blog and those photos of mouthwatering food will knock your socks off. Two which make me want to reach right in and grab them are her Pistachio Chocolate Frozen Mousse and her Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios. […]