Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

Okay so I made Paula Deen’s Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits. Can you say yummilicious? I know I can. Especially after eating these things. So good.

The downside….

I now know why she put the pistachios in the cream. To avoid the parfait glasses looking like they are dusty from the pistachios bits. I laughed my butt off when I looked at all my photos and realized it looks like I used unclean glasses. Live and learn. And I mean if hitting my learning curve means eating copious amounts of things like this, well, I can totally stand to keep on learning,

I only did a couple of things different from Miss Paula. I used juice instead of alcohol to macerate the berries. I love macerated berries and could eat them every day, With my IBS I cannot use alcohol though. So I used orange juice. Not just any orange juice either. I happened on some satsumas at the store which blew my mind. So I picked up a case and I used some to macerate the strawberries. So much better than alcohol. If you ever see satsuma oranges you must buy them. I also of course did not put the pistachios in the cream. I omitted the cinnamon. I left out the chocolate chips as well. I adjusted the cream a bit. Not much. I mean who am I to mess with Paula perfection right.

Hope you enjoy and make this yourself. Just be sure you use clean parfait glasses!

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios

Prep time
Total time

A wonderfully easy dessert recipe perfect for strawberry season!
Serves: 4 Parfaits
  • 1 pound of strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 3 Satsuma Oranges, freshly squeezed
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup ricotta
  • ½ cup pistachios, chopped roughly
  • 1 package Amaretto D’Italia cookies (200g/7.05oz Matilde Vicenzi), crushed
  1. Cut up your strawberries. Slice oranges in half and squeeze the juice over the berries. If your oranges are large you could cut this down to 2.
  2. Place the berries in a glass container and stick in the fridge for about 2 to 4 hours. Give it a shake every hour if you can.
  3. Now in a mixer combine your heavy cream and confectioners sugar. Whip until peaks form.
  4. Place your ricotta in a large bowl. Stir in ½ the whipped cream and mix a bit. Then add other ½ and fold it in.
  5. Place a layer of crushed cookies in the bottom of your glasses.
  6. Add a layer of strawberries.
  7. Add a light layer of pistachios.
  8. Add a layer of cannoli cream.
  9. Repeat steps for a second layer.
  10. Top with chopped pistachios.
  11. Add a strawberry garnish on top.
  12. Refrigerate for about an hour or more.
  13. Serve with a big old strawberry, cannoli-y, pistachio smile!
Slightly adapted from Paula Deen
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 Parfait

Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios by Cravings of a Lunatic

I sure hope everyone is enjoying their weekends. I’m hoping to feel well enough to hit the Art in the Park tomorrow. Mini-me is doing a bit better. Luckily my brother works with her at the grocery store so he was able to cover for her this morning. Thank goodness for kind family members. Ken you rock! She is however making pizza for half the town tonight. It’s her night to close. So if half of our hometown is sick tomorrow I apologize. I’m not sure she could get two nights off in a row. If you live in Essex I would recommend not ordering pizza tonight. Unless you want a side of flu. Just sayin’!

Comments

• Kim Bee says

Thanks Valerie. You know me and pistachios, any excuse to put them in a dessert. I am hopeful I can at least hit the barn tomorrow, maybe even art in the park. *crosses fingers*

These area just gorgeous! And the glasses don’t look dusty 😉 Beautiful parfaits… I’ll be right over! Save me one please

• Kim Bee says

Thanks and lol, I was so freaked out when I went in to edit the photos. I shall save you a big one.

oh my goodness gorgeous! what a beautiful summery creation! i always want to bake with pistachios, but i can never find any without salt! any suggestions??

• Kim Bee says

I use salted ones quite often in baking cuz I don’t mind the salt in most dishes. But you can find unsalted ones at some stores. Oddly our Shoppers Drug Mart was carrying them. I am not 100% sure but I wonder if rinsing them in water would get rid of some of the saltiness. I know some big time cooks/bakers use that technique to get rid of the skin on them so they are super green with no dust or pieces. I don’t have the patience. I’m eating them as fast as I use them.

• Kim Bee says

Lol Jeff. I almost woke the family reading that. I have a good appetite and I had trouble finishing mine.

• Kim Bee says

Yup, avoid the pizza in the area like the plague cuz it’s kind of contaminated with the plague. Lol.

Thanks. I am in love with the photos for this one. So happy they turned out well.

It might be because I don’t have my contacts in quite yet, but I think your glasses look beautiful! These parfaits sounds delicious too =)

So pretty!! Paula knows her stuff…i’m super loyal to her monster cookie recipe (you just have to try and look past the 4 sticks of butter….) haha. But LOVING these parfaits! The pistachio canonoli combo sounds awesome :)

• Kim Bee says

Thanks. She sure does. I’ve never tried those cookies, I must test those out. Butter never intimidates me, it should, but it doesn’t, lol! These are so good. I am loving Paula big time after these.

that looks simply gorgeous! I’ve got some fresh strawberries from the farmer’s market that’s just crying out for this. great one! I haven’t heard much about paula deen because we tend to get more news and recipes from british chefs here, i’ll be sure to check her out!

• Kim Bee says

Thanks. You should try this out. It’s easy and delicious. Paula is at the heart of some controversy here. She was diagnosed with diabetes and didn’t tell her fans for quite some time. Luckily I love her anyway. She does a lot of rich, buttery, sugary food. Which personally I love. Lol.

Fab! Now that strawberries are at its prime, this is just the recipe to stumble upon. Those are just gorgeous and sound so delicious. Definitely on my must-make-soon list.

• Kim Bee says

It is so good. Let me know if you try this one out. I was so impressed with it. It looks and tastes like it’s so difficult but it’s so easy.

Do you know, I’ve *never* had a cannoli with pistachios in it. But so many recipes use pistachios that it just makes me kind of scratch my head. Maybe it’s a southern thing (because it’s Paula Deen? I don’t know)?

Irregardless, these sound so light and fresh that I can’t stand it! And sooo pretty; I love the sliced berry on top!

• Kim Bee says

This is the first time I’ve done it with pistachios. Super good. I see tons use chocolate chips lately. That looks good too.

Thanks. I had fun with the photos for this one.

These look yummy, dear twin! I have a definite thing for cannoli but it’s such a pain to make that I rarely do., With this I could get the taste without the work not to mention I could convince myself it’s healthy due to the fruit hehe

• Kim Bee says

Thanks. I know right. They were giant mutant strawberries. We have some huge berries at our market right now.

I was surprised when I read the recipe how easy these are – they are extremely impressive looking! And I would’ve never noticed your “dirty” glasses if you hadn’t mentioned it :)

• Kim Bee says

I know right. I did the same thing. Thought I was missing something. But they are so simple and good. They feel fancy but take none of the hard work fancy desserts do.

Hi Kim – I found you via Liz and against my better wishes – I am making half your stuff. You will be very dangerous for my weight control. I do want these – I probably won’t use the cream and do my traditional cannoli cream recipe – but I love the presentation and shall mirror it – what a tasty blog!

11. Aggie says

These look amazing!!! I’m a sucker for anything “cannoli”, so creative to make parfaits out of them.

1. […]  Today I am guest blogging at the Cravings of a Lunatic blog. Kim is a barefoot cook who hates eggs, tomatoes and mac n cheese and if different foods touch on her plate, she throws a hissy fit. Did you notice the name of her blog? All this plus plenty more makes her one very entertaining woman and she sure can cook. Look at the side bar on her blog and those photos of mouthwatering food will knock your socks off. Two which make me want to reach right in and grab them are her Pistachio Chocolate Frozen Mousse and her Strawberry Cannoli Parfaits with Pistachios. […]