Apple Crisp Ice Cream for Our Autumn Apple Party! #SundaySupper

ice cream

Hi folks.

I am so excited to be kicking off Fall with an apple recipe. To me Fall just screams apples. I love finding ways to use them this time of the year. The possibilities for them are endless. Over the season I’ll share some tried and true recipes I love, and also some new ideas. You all know how much I love to experiment in the kitchen. There is something so exciting about getting in the kitchen with ingredients, some loud music and no plan. Some of the best recipes start out that way.

This week I wanted to try a new ice cream recipe. I figure it is Sunday and you know I love my Ice Cream Sundays. I had grand plans to make it all from scratch. My body had other ideas. I’m still recovering from being sick so my energy level is not up to par. I was feeling quite good the other day so I over-did things a bit. I used up all my energy exercising the horse and moving some furniture, which let me just state are two things you shouldn’t do when recovering from being sick. Once my energy was sapped I decided to cut some corners on this recipe. I love doing most of my recipes from scratch but I’m not the kind of gal who is above taking short cuts when need be. People have busy lives, we get sick, or some days you just want more time for more important things, like hanging with the family. So do what you need to do and never feel bad about it. That’s what I did and the result was fabulous.

ice cream

Apple Crisp Ice Cream for Our Autumn Apple Party! #SundaySupper
An easy, no egg recipe for ice cream that tastes like Apple Crisp.
Author:
Recipe type: dessert, ice cream
Serves: 10
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • ½ cup dark brown sugar
  • Pinch of vanilla salt, or regular salt
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ can apple pie filling
  • 1 cup Kashi Toasted Cinnamon Crisp cereal
  1. In a stand mixer combine the whole milk, dark brown sugar, and salt. Mix until the sugar dissolves.
  2. Add your heavy cream, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix again until fluffy.
  3. Cover bowl and stick in the fridge for at least one hour, or overnight.
  4. Remove bowl from fridge and transfer mixture to your FROZEN ice cream machine bowl. Place on machine and let it mix for about 10- 15 minutes.
  5. Now add the apple pie filling and cereal. Mix lightly.
  6. You can serve immediately if you like soft serve, or stick in the freezer for later.
  7. If freezing remember to take it out a few minutes before serving so it's easier to scoop.
  8. Serve with a big old apple crisp smile!
You can cook the pie filling if you want it softer. Just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes or cook in a saucepan until it softens up. You can add the Kashi when serving if you are worried about it getting too soft. It you want that crunch from it this is the way to go. Or just add more when you serve. I have the smaller Cuisinart ice cream machine and this leaks over a tad. So if you have the same one feel free to scoop out a serving of ice cream before adding pie filling and cereal. I have a tendency to overdo things.

ice cream

You can make your own Vanilla Salt for this and other baking projects if you like. If not, feel free to use regular salt. I just like the added taste when I use the vanilla salt.

Make sure you stop by all the other Sunday Supper participants for more great apple recipes. A special thank you to our fearless leader, Isabel of Family Foodie for all the hard work she puts into this group. Also a huge thank you to our host this week, the talented Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. Cindy is an amazing blogger, really supportive of others and incredibly kind. I had the pleasure of having her guest post for me while on vacation. You should swing by and see her Chocolate Mango Cake while your browsing about. It’s fantastic, such a cool combination.

ice cream

Stop by all the other #SundaySupper participants posts to see the great apple recipes they’ve whipped up for you!

Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads

Main Meals

Sides

Desserts

Beverages

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

I’ll give you an update on my health condition on Tuesday. For now just know I am doing well and am determined to get back to normal life. Thanks to everyone for your support and love. It means the world to me.

Also this week there is a fun snack mix coming your way, and finally some vacation photos. I think you’re going to love some of the incredible and insanely cute photos we took while away. Till then get in the kitchen and get your apple on!

Comments

• Kim Bee says

How cool! I think I’m the only one of my family and friends who has an ice cream maker. I need to start giving them to people as gifts. Nothing quite like making your own ice cream.

• Kim Bee says

Turtles are tomorrow. I am still me after all. But did you notice the cereal was Kashi? I’m all grown up and using cereal with fibre. I think there should be a parade or something. *giggles*

• Kim Bee says

I do my own vanilla, vanilla salt, vanilla sugar, vanilla brown sugar and vanilla oats. I have problems. Lol.

Thanks so much. I’m working my way back to “normal”.

I really want a nice big bowl of this my friend, it is like eating an apple pie cold style! Thinking of which, imagine eating your gorgeous ice cream with apple pie 😉

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

2. Rebecca Walker says

This sounds absolutely fabulous! I can’t wait to try it. The only bummer is that I didn’t have it LAST Sunday for my Dad’s 78th birthday. Apple Pie or Crisp is always his request as he’s never been much of a cake lover. I made the Apple Pie, but can you imagine the double heaven if I’d had this ice cream to go with it…? Now, it’ll be like the whole dessert all over again in one element. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Kim Bee says

Your dad is so lucky to have you. I’d love it if someone made me apple pie for my birthday. You will have to try this and use it over top of the next pie or crisp you make for him.

Fall screams apples to me too!! I love this ice cream… especially the cereal part you used in it. :) Well done. Hope you’re feeling better… Take care! ~ Ramona

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much Ramona. I really had fun making this. I am starting to improve a bit each day. Nice to get back to some normalcy. xx

Sorry you had a setback, but glad that overall you’re getting better. We need you back to full health and energy! So you can make us more great recipes like this one for Apple Crisp Ice Cream. I really like Apple Crisp, though I don’t think I’ve ever had it in ice cream. This looks like something I should make! Thanks for this.

• Kim Bee says

Thanks so much. Another couple of weeks and I should be totally recovered. I am doing great, I just get tired easily. Each day I get a little stronger though so it’s progress.

You should try this. I bet you could put a unique spin on this. It’s a cool ice cream.

• Kim Bee says

Awe, thanks so much Lyn. I really love trying new things. This was so much fun. Was a challenge to find a healthy cereal I could eat but I managed to find one. Happy #SundaySupper to you too! xx

I love the addition of the crunchy cereal! From when I was young, I have added add Grape Nuts to coffee ice cream but I never knew anyone else who did. Happy to have another lunatic join me. :) Every single one of your ice cream recipes sounds delicious so I am surely in good company.

I must be losing it…I thought I had commented :/ Must have been on G+. I love how you made ice cream and I made a cookie bar…some things never change! Enjoy your week!

Oh my word you did not!!!!!!! My Grandma makes her famous apple crisp for me a lot, it is seriously delicious:-) What a fantastic idea to add it to ice cream, I love it!!!!! Yum, Hugs, Terra

so cute how you wrote the ingredients on brown bag paper! I love the sound of an easy ice cream recipe that doesn’t invlolve an ice cream maker cuz I don’t have one. Apple pie filling and cruch cereal really just takes this ice cream to whole new level.

Such a creative ice cream! I’m sorry that you still aren’t feeling well, but I could never tell Kim, you most certainly brought your A game out for this recipe! Wishing you the best and hoping things get better soon.

Oh I love the idea of apple crisp ice cream! Glad to see you didn’t do a typical pie or crisp (not that there’s anything wrong with that. I just need new ideas!)