An easy, no egg recipe for ice cream that tastes like Apple Crisp.
I am so excited to be kicking off Fall with an apple recipe. To me Fall just screams apples. I love finding ways to use them this time of the year. The possibilities for them are endless. Over the season I'll share some tried and true recipes I love, and also some new ideas. You all know how much I love to experiment in the kitchen. There is something so exciting about getting in the kitchen with ingredients, some loud music and no plan. Some of the best recipes start out that way.
This week I wanted to try a new ice cream recipe. I figure it is Sunday and you know I love my Ice Cream Sundays. I had grand plans to make it all from scratch. My body had other ideas. I'm still recovering from being sick so my energy level is not up to par. I was feeling quite good the other day so I over-did things a bit. I used up all my energy exercising the horse and moving some furniture, which let me just state are two things you shouldn't do when recovering from being sick. Once my energy was sapped I decided to cut some corners on this recipe. I love doing most of my recipes from scratch but I'm not the kind of gal who is above taking short cuts when need be. People have busy lives, we get sick, or some days you just want more time for more important things, like hanging with the family. So do what you need to do and never feel bad about it. That's what I did and the result was fabulous.
Apple Crisp Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- Pinch of vanilla salt or regular salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ can apple pie filling
- 1 cup Kashi Toasted Cinnamon Crisp cereal
- In a stand mixer combine the whole milk, dark brown sugar, and salt. Mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Add your heavy cream, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix again until fluffy.
- Cover bowl and stick in the fridge for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Remove bowl from fridge and transfer mixture to your FROZEN ice cream machine bowl. Place on machine and let it mix for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Now add the apple pie filling and cereal. Mix lightly.
- You can serve immediately if you like soft serve, or stick in the freezer for later.
- If freezing remember to take it out a few minutes before serving so it's easier to scoop.
- Serve with a big old apple crisp smile!
You can make your own Vanilla Salt for this and other baking projects if you like. If not, feel free to use regular salt. I just like the added taste when I use the vanilla salt.
Make sure you stop by all the other Sunday Supper participants for more great apple recipes. A special thank you to our fearless leader, Isabel of Family Foodie for all the hard work she puts into this group. Also a huge thank you to our host this week, the talented Cindy of Cindy's Recipes and Writings. Cindy is an amazing blogger, really supportive of others and incredibly kind. I had the pleasure of having her guest post for me while on vacation. You should swing by and see her Chocolate Mango Cake while your browsing about. It's fantastic, such a cool combination.
Stop by all the other #SundaySupper participants posts to see the great apple recipes they've whipped up for you!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast – In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread – Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce- Sustainable Dad
- Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions- Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Autumn Harvest Homemade Apple Sauce – Brie’s Bites
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies- That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
I'll give you an update on my health condition on Tuesday. For now just know I am doing well and am determined to get back to normal life. Thanks to everyone for your support and love. It means the world to me.
Also this week there is a fun snack mix coming your way, and finally some vacation photos. I think you're going to love some of the incredible and insanely cute photos we took while away. Till then get in the kitchen and get your apple on!
Toodles and smoochies! xx
So glad to hear you're getting better. Hey, there's nothing wrong with a few short cuts. This ice cream looks fabulous. Happy #SS! Pinned.
Thanks so much Jennie. I love a good short cut here and there. Thanks for pinning. xx
Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen
This icecream sounds outrageously delicious and I love how simple it is to make. Yes, I think Autumn can get underway now that this lovely apple treat is in the bag!
Thanks so much Hester. I like simple cooking when life gets busy. I look forward to seeing what you cook up this fall.
I can't wait to try this one! Sounds like a perfect fall flavored ice cream!
Thanks so much Patsy. I am so excited to dig into fall baking and cooking.
Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet)
Yummy! I love my Cuisinart ice cream maker...don't use it as often as I intend to, but this is enough to entice me to take it out of the cabinet and whip up some apple crisp ice cream before the weather turns cool in Texas!
I tend to do ice cream at least once a week, even through winter. It's like an addiction. lol
Yum! I love creative ice cream flavors, and this is definitely one I'd love to try!
Thanks so much Katie.
Erhmmmmmm, you're making this for our wedding reception, right?
Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats
I am giggling like a mad person here at my work desk. Hehehe.. I am grinning, and I can't help it. What a creative ice-cream flavour to kick start Fall. A must try recipe indeed! ;-). xoxo, Jo
I love making you grin. xx
Jenn and Seth
such a creative and delicious ice cream recipe! love it!
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom
I love that you made ice cream! 🙂 and that you added cereal! this recipe is awesome! I just started making homemade ice cream myself this year. we will definitely give this one a try! thank you!
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
I love apple crisp and as an ice cream, I'd be over the moon.
I love the addition of the crunchy cereal! From when I was young, I have added add Grape Nuts to coffee ice cream but I never knew anyone else who did. Happy to have another lunatic join me. 🙂 Every single one of your ice cream recipes sounds delicious so I am surely in good company.
Oh my! All my favorite flavors in an ice-cream!I would love some right now first thing in the morning 🙂
Oh how I wish I had an ice cream maker! This sounds fabulous!
Jen at The Three Little Piglets
Now I feel just awful! I've been so out of the loop lately that I didn't even know you were sick! Hope you are on your way to feeling better. Big hugs!
OMG, that looks great!! I love homemade ice cream!!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
You always make the best ice cream! I want a giant bowl of this right now!
I must be losing it...I thought I had commented :/ Must have been on G+. I love how you made ice cream and I made a cookie bar...some things never change! Enjoy your week!
You're SO creative! Love the apples and the cereal addition! what a fun ice cream!!!!
That looks AMAZING! Wish more people around here would eat ice cream