Cherry Extract #SundaySupper

extract

Hi folks.

When the Sunday Supper crew announced we were doing Holiday Gifts from the Kitchen as our theme this week I may have jumped for joy. I mean just a little. I love giving home-made gifts so I knew this was going to be fun. The possibilities are endless when it comes to gifts you can give people from the kitchen. Cookies, bars, bark, snack mix, chocolates, bread, candy, alcohol and the list goes on and on. You can also make gifts in jars that the recipient just adds some wet ingredients to in order to bake, cookie mixes and breads are perfect for this. Last year I gave away vanilla extract, vanilla salt, vanilla sugar, vanilla brown sugar and vanilla oats. I also did up some cookies in a jar for some people. Then I whipped up some Turtle Bark, Black Forest BarkCoconut Bark, Hot Fudge Sauce and Slow Cooker Snack Mix for some family members. Yup, being in Lunie’s world during the holidays is a good thing. And sorta fattening.

I made this extract eons ago. The downside to that is there is no fresh cherries to use as props in the photo. I intended to photograph this before I went out west. But I was too busy. Then I intended to photograph this when I returned home from the vacation of doom. But I was too sick. So I finally photographed this but the timing meant no cherries to add in the shot. Such a big old cherry bummer.

The upside to making cherry extract is it is so much cheaper than buying it. A tiny bottle of it costs a fortune. I love using cherry extract whenever possible in my baking. So I go through quite a bit of it. Making my own made good economic sense. Plus it was fun. I mean who doesn’t love playing with vodka. It’s how all good weekends start right.

extract

Homemade Cherry Extract

A simple way to make your own cherry extract using fresh cherries!
Author:
Recipe type: condiments, ingredients, extract
Cuisine: American
  • 1 (375 ml) bottle vodka
  • 2 cups fresh cherries
  1. Pit and cut your cherries in half.
  2. Pour vodka into a mason jar.
  3. Toss cherries in the vodka.
  4. Give it a shake.
  5. Store in a cool, dark place for about 2 weeks.
  6. Give it a little shake now and then.
  7. Ready in 2 weeks time.
  8. Give as gifts with a big old cherry smile!

extract

Yes I realize it’s not cherry season. You may need to wait awhile to try this one. If you’re wondering if you can use dried cherries, well, I’m on that. I’ve got a batch brewing as I write this. So stay tuned for results.

Hope you enjoy this. Thanks to our hostesss this week, Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian. She really came up with the perfect theme. As always a huge thank you to our fearless leader, Isabel of Family Foodie. Make sure you stop by all the other Sunday Supper crew to see what amazing gifts they made for you.

Breads/Breakfast:

Condiments/Ingredients:

Soup/Snacks:

Sweets:

Drinks:

Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 11.  In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.

All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.

We’d also love to feature your own posts for Gifts From the Kitchen on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.

Comments

• Kim Bee says

Thank you. It’s fun to give homemade stuff. I really love giving bark, most people love it. You will love doing it. There’s so much room to get creative.

That’s it? That’s how easy it is? I think I love you more every single day. I’ve made my own vanilla extract for years but never opened my brain to give it some exercise. This is going to be in my pantry as soon as the cherries arrive which will be soon down here. Cherries are a Christmas treat.

• Kim Bee says

It’s that easy. How wild is that right. Lol, love right back at you Maureen. I always shake my extracts every few days. Just a habit. I wish cherries were in season for Christmas here, that would make me one happy lady.

• Kim Bee says

Hey Elizabeh, I used sweet. If you tried it with sour you could just add some sugar and see how it goes. I don’t think extracts have to be sweet since you use them in baking where you add sugar anyway.

I love cherries so much it’s crazy! I’m wondering if you could use frozen sweet cherries-I’m betting you can and they are on sale this week at my grocery store. This looks crazy good and I can think of a million things I want to put it in!

• Kim Bee says

Me too! I would try it with frozen. I’d be mildly concerned about the moisture but hopefully it would work. Can’t hurt to try.

Now why can’t it be cherry season? Now I’m wishing I would have frozen some of the cherries from earlier this year. Oh well, there is always next season. I’m already thinking about all the things to use this extract with. Cocktails, treats, and so much more.

4. Charlie says

Hi Kim!

I can feel your excitement!

This sounds good, and I love anything that is inexpensive.

I’ll be making this as soon as I can find cherries.

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

This cherry extract looks great! How I wish I could do the same. Is difficult to get cherries here in Malaysia. I shall try to look for the dried version. Thanks for sharing, Kim!

• Kim Bee says

Thank you. I would give frozen a whirl. Maybe just try a small batch to make sure the water content doesn’t mess with the vodka. It shouldn’t though, I mean we use ice in vodka right. I’m doing a batch with dried cherries. I think it’s going to be fabulous.

• Kim Bee says

I get it from Watson’s, they have the coolest stuff. But it’s so pricey I needed to come up with another option. Making it is way cheaper. And lol!

I want to be on your gift list :) – The cherry extract sounds absolutely amazing. What do you think about using frozen cherries? I really love the idea!

• Kim Bee says

I would totally try frozen. Just make sure they aren’t too sopping wet. I bet it would work great.

I spoil my family. I love to cook and make things. And my sis is like me but 100 times more creative and organized, so she makes me look like a slacker. lol

A two ingredient dish? That can be used as a gift? LOVE this idea!!!! I bet it will be fabulous with dried cherry…maybe a little sweeter, which is never bad IMHO 😉

Oh, I just noticed we both have similar blog look :) Your cherry extract looks and sounds delish!Love how easy and simple this is to put together and makes for an ideal holiday gift :)

You are the Gift Queen, lunatic or not. I totally want to be on your gift list. For the rest of my life. You’ve got so many fun ideas, but none better than this cherry extract. I’ve been wondering about it ever since you posted that you were bringing to our virtual gift exchange today. I love, love, love it, and want to make it as soon as humanly possible. How about frozen cherries??

• Kim Bee says

I’ve never tried with frozen so not sure if the moisture content would be an issue. I don’t think so though. I’m doing a batch with dried now.

• Kim Bee says

Lol, I think I’m going to have to do a giveaway with some of my homemade goodies. I love making stuff. It’s just so cool to make things for people you adore.

Kim I expected to find an ooey-gooey lick-your-computer-screen dessert and instead this fabulous find! Tis the time of year to consider gift making and this is so clever! I’ve made Kahlua and Creme de Menthe but somehow it never seems appropriate to gift to teachers for instance! This will be going on my list!

I’m still working on homemade gifts as they are still relatively new to me and I always doubt myself who wants something homemade from my kitchen… I need to learn and find good gifts like this one. I’d be happy to receive this as a gift, so I hope I can do the same to others! Great idea, Kim!

12. Dianna says

So what do you do with the cherries after the 2 weeks is up? I bet they’d be good in more than a few drinks or even adding that extra zing to a fruit salad! Do you need to refrigerate the extract or does the vodka take care of any issues? Now I’m thinking of all kinds of things I could do with cherry extract!!!

• Kim Bee says

Hi Dianna. Thanks for stopping by. I threw mine out to be honest. I was so busy the day I drained the jar it never occurred to me to use them. I would think a vodka cobbler would be killer good. I did not refrigerate mine. It’s in a cool, dark closet. The smaller jar is in my pantry. There’s a new version posting soon. Used dried cherries for that one. So good.

13. teresa says

Hi,
    I just ran across your website,very helpful….I do however have a question,do you strain the cherries out when the 2 weeks is up and how long does the extract stay good for?
    Thanks,
    Teresa

• Kim Bee says

Hi Teresa. Yes you strain the cherries out and discard them. The extract should be stored in a cool, dark place with a shelf life of between 6 – 12 months. Depending on how you store it the flavour should last a good 6 months minimum. After that time I usually give my extracts a good swirl in the bottle then smell them. If the smell is off toss it, it should have that strong cherry smell every time you open the bottle. All extracts work the same way. They should have a strong scent of the flavour inside. Hope that helps.

14. Cheryl says

I’ve been brewing mine for 2 months. And it still smells very alchohol-y. Any suggestions? What does it smell like when done?

• Kim Beaulieu says

Fabulous. I’ll post the recipe at the end of this month with some other Christmas Gift Ideas I have happening. That way people can still make it for the holiday season.