Onion Strings

Seriously sinful deep fried Onion Strings that will blow your mind, and your diet. Totally worth indulging in!

Oh em gee.

Seriously overused phrases are the only thing I can think of  right now.

Squee!

Told ya.

These are awesomesauce.

I can’t stop. Someone save me.

I saw these on an episode of The Pioneer Woman. They looked so good I almost cried. I had to try them. So I did. And they were the bomb dot com.

Someone slap me.

In the meantime I’ll be sitting on the counter eating onion strings till you figure out how to stop me from using overused catch phrases.

Peace out!

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Onion Strings
Serves: Way too many Onion Strings!
Cook time:
Total time:
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Canola oil for deep fryer, or Dutch oven (you need a lot)
  1. Slice your onion super thinly.
  2. Now fill a large bowl with buttermilk and drop the onion strings inside. Cover and set the bowl in the fridge for an hour.
  3. Mix up the dry ingredients in another large bowl. Set aside till you are ready for it.
  4. Turn on your deep fryer, or fill you dutch oven with oil. Never fill all the way. You want to leave room for the food and bubbling. Nothing is worse than a grease fire so fill only ⅓ to ½ full if using dutch oven option. Bring the oil temperature up to 375 degrees F.
  5. Pull the onions out of the fridge. Take a handful and let the excess mixture drain off. Dunk the onions in the flour mixture. Then drop them carefully into the oil. Cook until they are golden brown. Takes a few minutes, maybe 4 or 5 tops.
  6. Use a spider tool to remove the onion strings from the oil. Pop them on a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess grease.
  7. You can add some coarse salt over top while still hot if desired.
  8. Serve with a big old onion-y smile!
Recipe Source: The Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings
Nutrition Information
Serving size: One hungry lunatic or 4 regular people!

Onion Strings | Cravings of a Lunatic | Seriously sinful and totally worth indulging in!I just love these Onion Strings. Seriously scrumptious and wildly addictive. I could not stop shoving them in my piehole. At rapid speed.

You MUST try these. Immediately. Then squeal all kinds of overused catch phrases. They are that good, you won’t be able to think straight. Trust me!

Comments

• Kim Beaulieu says

Yah, more we have in common. You have to try these. And the shallot rings. Divine. Wish we could enjoy a batch together.

oh man oh man….these are DANGEROUUUS! If I make these then Michael really WILL be complaining that he’s fat! (That’s his new thing, insisting he’s fat and I made him so, even though he is nooot fat. Maybe he gained a smidge of weight but…he’s the one who told me he couldn’t gain weight! It’s like he challenged me!)

First shallot rings, now onion strings? Life doesn’t get any better! I’ve often had onion strings at restaurants (get on a burger) but have never made my own. I really should, so I, too, can bliss out! Good stuff – thanks.

Fried onions look absolutely awesome, why would I ever get takeaway onion rings if homemade look 100 times better 😀

Cheers
    CCU

P.S I seem to have lost around 1000 subscribers on my blog and I don’t know how, so if you were subscribed, could you resubscribe please? it would really help me out!

• Kim Beaulieu says

We could barely get them out of the oil before we scarfed them so there were none left to store. I’ve made them 4 more times and still no leftovers. These are really best eaten when you first make, like right away. Sort of like fries. Better hot and fresh out of the fryer. That being said if you had to make them ahead my suggest would be to under-cook them a bit. Store them in an air tight container with a good lid. Then when you want to eat them cook them for a few more minutes in the oil right before serving. I wouldn’t do them any more than 2 or 3 days maximum ahead of time. And even that is risky because the onions would get yucky. Hope that helps. They are so good so I hope you get to try them.

• Kim Beaulieu says

Ha, have at it woman. I could barely take pics because I was gobbling them up so fast. These things are evil, but freaking delicious.

4. Kati Donahue says

Just made these today…. for lunch. Shoot, just got grease on my computer (wonder how that got there?) Made a double batch because my Aunt was coming over (there are nothing but crumbs left). Ended up using 50/50 flour/corn starch, and added a little seasoning Greek/Blackened to give it a bit of spice. Thanks for sharing!!!

• Kim Beaulieu says

So happy you tried them and liked them. I love the flour/corn starch with some spice idea. Thanks so much for letting me know you all enjoyed them. Can’t heart that enough. xx

• Kim Beaulieu says

Hi Sharyn. Sorry, I was out earlier visiting our horse, then hit a movie with my daughter. Just got in. I left you a message on Aubrey’s page but thought I’d leave this here too. I’ve not tried doing these in an air fryer, but from what I know about them I think it would work really well. My understanding is they use a tiny bit of oil, so should get the same crispness. I can’t say with absolute certainty since I don’t have an air fryer (I swear it might be the only kitchen toy I don’t have, besides a good waffle maker) but think it should work. My suggestion is to do a tiny batch to test first to be sure. I’d do a 1/4 batch and see how it goes. I now want an air fryer.

5. Sariya Qureshi says

Plz tell me how to make buttermilk at home. .u better reply..im going crazy with all the yummyNess here.i have to try these

• Kim Beaulieu says

Ha ha ha. I am bent over laughing. Keep on keeping on Susan. I promise there’s some healthy ones coming after Valentine’s. Thanks for reading.