Flank Steak with Chipotle Butter is marinated, grilled to perfection and then topped with Homemade Chipotle Butter. This recipes is stellar!
This Flank Steak with Chipotle Butter is the perfect indulgent dinner recipe. It can be cooked on the grill, or in the oven if you prefer.
First of all, I love grilling season. Honestly, I wish I lived in a place where it was warm year round. Unfortunately, I don't.
We're located in Ontario, Canada so we have about 6 to 7 months of prime grilling weather. I tend to grill from about April- May until about late October.
Personally, I love grilling in spring and fall. It's a bit cooler and not as many bugs outside. That said, I will grill year round, depending on the weather.
Honestly, I've been known to shovel snow off the deck and patio in order to grill in winter too. Sometimes you just want a great grilled meal.
- Flank Steak - It's a great cut of meat for grilling. Flank steak is easy to cook and packed with flavour.
- Italian Dressing - Feel free to substitute olive oil.
- Fresh Orange - The orange needs to be juiced for the marinade. If you don't have oranges you can use limes.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce - You can find these in a can in the grocery store. They are spicy so ease in and increase amount if you can tolerate the heat.
- Spices - This recipe calls for garlic salt, minced garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Brown Sugar - Nothing beats brown sugar rubbed onto steak for a nice crust when grilling.
- Butter - Salted or unsalted butter will work in this recipe.
How to Make Flank Steak with Chipotle Butter:
- First, combine the Italian dress, juice of the orange, part of the chipotle peppers and sauce, garlic salt, minced garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Next, transfer the flank steak to a container. Then, pour liquid over top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Once marinated, you can remove the steak and discard juices.
- Next, pat the steak dry. Then, sprinkle with brown sugar on both sides. Set aside.
- Go fire up your grill. Allow it to preheat fully.
- Carefully place the steak on the grill and cook until desired doneness.
- Next, remove the steak from the grill and place on cutting board. Allow it to rest for at leas 5 minutes so the juices can redistribute.
- During the resting time you can make your compound butter. First, place the butter and chipotle peppers in a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Now, slice the steak into pieces across the grain.
- Slather the compound over top of the steak or serve on the side.
More Grilling Recipes:
- Grilled Ribs with Watermelon BBQ Sauce
- Sirloin Roast
- Grilled Peach and Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil
- Saucy Mozzarella Chicken Bake
- Spicy BBQ Chicken Fajita Sliders
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- How to Grill a Tomahawk Steak from Kiss My Smoke
- Grilled Brick Chicken from Kiss My Smoke
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Flank Steak with Chipotle Butter
- 2 pounds flank steak
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- ½ large orange juiced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 3 medium chipotle peppers more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 chipotle peppers diced finely
- In a bowl combine the Italian Dressing, juice of ½ orange, adobo sauce, chipotle peppers, garlic salt, minced garlic, smoked paprika, salt and white pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Place the flank steak in a container or shallow casserole pan, pour the liquid over top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove from fridge, discard juices. Pat steak dry then sprinkle with brown sugar, on both sides. Allow steak to sit for about 20 minutes to warm up. Never grill a cold steak.
- While the steak is sitting, go fire up your grill. Let it preheat. Reduce to a medium high heat.
- Place steak on grill, cook to desired doneness for your own taste. We like ours around a medium to medium rare so I cooked mine for about 5 minutes on each side. You can increase or decrease this time for you own taste.
- Remove from the grill and allow to stand for at least 5 minutes for the juices to redistribute.
- During that time make your compound butter. Place the softened butter and finely diced chipotle peppers in a food processor or stand mixer. Pulse until combined.
- While the steak is still hot slather some of that chipotle butter all over the top of the steak. You're going to freak out, it's so good.
- Now slice the steak across the grain in slices to your desired thickness.
- Enjoy with a big old spicy smile!
Thanks for visiting today!