Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots

Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots | So simple to make yet so complex in flavour. A family favourite!

This one is a family favourite. My family loves this recipe. We’re such suckers for roasted vegetables. I think it’s because we all have a sweet tooth, and roasting brings out the natural sweetness of vegetables.

This is something I make often when we have roast beef or roast chicken. It just goes perfectly with either of those dishes. It’s also really good with pork tenderloin.

I am a carrot fanatic. It’s one of my favourite vegetable. It ranks in the top 3, along with corn and broccoli. Cauliflower usually ranks pretty high too. And radishes. Okay so the top 5 are Carrots, Corn, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Radishes. Likely in that order. Depending on my craving any particular day.

During corn season all bets are off though. Then all other vegetables become invisible to me. I wear corn blinders. I can’t help it. We live in the corn Capital of Canada. Well, not exactly in it. But close to it. Okay so not close to it, about a 20 to 30 minute drive from it. If you’re wondering where the best corn in Canada comes from I state with certainty that place is Leamington, Ontario. It has something to do with the soil at Point Pelee. True story. Take a tour of Point Pelee and they will explain it all to you. Take 12,847 tours with the kids’ school functions and you can recite the tour speech verbatim. The joys of being a serious “volunteer mama”. I know so many random things about so many places.

Places like Leamington, Ontario. Where they grow the best corn. The best carrots. The best tomatoes. I just wish it was more tropical here so they grew them year round. That would be the downside to living here. The snow, always the snow. Thank goodness I can still find baby carrots at Costco. Have I ever told you how much I love Costco? Almost as much as corn. And baby carrots.

Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram | G+ | Kiss My Smoke

Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots

So simple to make yet so complex in flavour. Baby carrots drizzled in balsamic vinegar, the roasted in the oven and sprinkled with parsley and coarse salt. A family favourite!

• 681 grams (1.5 pounds/24 ounces) baby carrots, tops removed, peeled if desired
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (good quality)
  • Dash of coarse salt
  • Dash of pepper if desired (we dislike it)
  • Dried or fresh parsley

• Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
  • Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper, if you don't have any just spray it liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Rinse your carrots and pat dry.
  • In a medium sized glass bowl (or large if double batching) place the carrots inside.
  • In a small glass bowl add the balsamic vinegar, then slowly add the olive oil while whisking with gusto. Do not use aluminum bowls, it doesn't play well with acidic ingredients. Whisk with gusto until your arm falls off, or your ingredients combine perfectly.
  • Now pour the balsamic mix over top off the carrots. Toss the carrots until well coated. Pour them onto the cookie sheet.
  • Place in oven and roast them for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how crisp or soft you like your carrots, and how thick they are. I did not cut this batch in half since they were not overly thick, but you can do that if you like. I often do. I flip mine halfway through, just so I get that nice caramelised goodness on both sides.
  • Remove from oven. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with coarse salt, pepper and parsley.
  • Serve with a big old Vitamin A loving smile!

You can add a sweetener if you like. For this particular recipe I don't because I find the natural sweetness of the carrot balances beautifully with the balsamic vinegar.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Don’t you just love carrots? Look at these beauties. I could eat them every day, all day long. And often do.

I hope you get a chance to try these out. Adjust the cooking time depending on how much bite you like left in them once they are cooked. I like mine pretty soft so I tend to cook mine on the longer side. I make these for holidays. They will show up on our Easter table and Thanksgiving table. Family tradition, it’s a good thing. Just like these Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots.

Other Side Dish Recipes:

Fried Smashed Potatoes with Meyer Lemon Dressing | Super easy to make and absolutely spectacular.Fried Smashed Potatoes with Meyer Lemon Dressing

Garlic Fries | Cravings of a Lunatic | Super easy to make and absolutely delicious!Garlic Fries

Spicy Chipotle Skillet Corn with Bacon | Cravings of a Lunatic | #corn #bacon #sidesSpicy Chipotle Skillet Corn with Bacon

Onion Strings | Cravings of a Lunatic | Seriously sinful and totally worth indulging in!Onion Strings

Aerosmith Potatoes with meyer lemon and garlic salt by Cravings of a LunaticAerosmith Potatoes

Other great carrot recipes from the web:

Balsamic Roasted Carrots by Crumb

Roasted Baby Carrots Recipe by Simply Recipes

Roasted Baby Carrots with Madeira Orange Glaze by Magnolia Days

Comments

I was thinking these would be PERFECT for Easter. Now if only spring weather would come. Maybe if we all eat enough carrots?

• 2
      Kim Beaulieu says:

They really are. I love them at Easter, and pretty much any other time I can make them.

Omg, seriously right. What is with this winter nonsense? Over it.

I could have nothing but those balsamic roasted carrots and feel like I’d had a special meal. Yum.

I already adore balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts so imagine my excitment upon seeing these!

You make me want to try balsamic carrots. I’ve never had them but I will now. Gorgeous photos too.

• 8
      Kim Beaulieu says:

You must try them Norma. They are SO good. Just the right amount of acid with sweet. And thank you so much. I appreciate it.

OOOOh, I’m always looking for more side dish recipes and this totally looks awesome!

Carrots so often don’t get the love they deserve. They’re a favorite of ours, too. And I love to roast them! They pair so well with balsamic, don’t they? Good stuff — thanks.

• 12
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I concur, I love them too. I’m not a huge vinegar fan but for roasting it’s just sheer perfection.

Aside from radishes, my top 5 would be exactly the same! Love these carrots, Kim.

If I’m being honest, carrots are NOT in my top five veggies – but these babies are definitely making me reconsider! The photos alone are making me want to eat a big bowl of them and that’s saying something! I’m sure these would be a hit with Mr. Hungry and Hungry Jr. so I’m going to make them soon and let them know they have you to thank. There will be much rejoicing! XO

• 15
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Mellissa. I think carrots are pretty high sugar, I never know if they are allowed on low carb diets or not. I love them but then again I inhale sugar at mock speed. Try them for the Hungry dudes and let me know what they think. I can’t wait to see you. 8 weeks, squee.

I make a very similar recipe, only I add honey because I like my roasted carrots on the sweet side… it’s such a simple side dish, but people are always super-impressed by how fancy and gourmet it looks. :)

• 17
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I have another one coming up with honey and nuts. I like brown sugar on them too sometimes. And maple syrup. Also love them cooked in broth. Then drizzled in butter. Oh my, can you tell I love carrots. My brother used to eat so many his skin turned orange. Ha.

We need to cook together. How have we never done that when I visit? It’s just silly I say, just silly.

I was planning on roasting some carrots with dinner tonight. I just might have to make your version!

I love carrots madly, too! And these. Look. Fabulous! Love the glaze!

• 21
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks Rebecca. I am in sugary mode lately. I just want sweets constantly, even when eating veggies. So wrong, but feels so right. Ha.

What’s up doc! I love me some roasted carrots, but you probably already know that with all my carrot recipes lately LOL.

• 23
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, love it. I am so in love with that pasta you did did with the rotini noodles, the ravioli too, but that creamy one just did me in. Dying to try it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such grab able looking carrots. Making these tomorrow!

These carrots look perfect! Love your photos!

These are so gorgeous! I’ve never seen a better looking carrot, that’s for sure!

That is one of my favorite ways to eat carrots. I am a total carrot fiend, too. I keep waiting for my skin to turn orange because I eat too many. Until then, bring one that pan of roasted carrots!

• 31
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Ha, Scott had orange skin on occasion. Always made me laugh. He loved those things, my mom used to buy massive bags of them. And sunflower seeds, man we ate copious amounts of those too.

Hahaha I know a ton of random stuff too (as does my hubby LOL) – love these baby carrots, they’d be perfect for when hubby grills up some steaks!

If carrots could look sexy… you got it right here Wow… they look amazing. :)

The balsamic vinegar puts these carrots over the top. Yum!

These look so yummy!! I love roasted carrots!

I am imagining the sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar with these carrots and I am drooling. Roasted carrots are sooooo good. Even by themselves. They are so beautiful!

Yummo! I was a little adventurous and used some artisan balsamic vinegar I had purchased at a specialty store (1 T of vanilla & 1 T of Blackberry ginger) whisked with the olive oil and the carrots turned out great! I’m not a fan of parsley so I used fresh oregano. This is a keeper! More carrot recipes please!!!! :-)

• 39
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I have a similar one coming this week you might love. Keep an eye out.

And thank you so much. I love that you used blackberry ginger, I must try this. I have a zillion fancy vinegars I need to start using. xx

Never in my wildest food dreams would I think that a CARROT dish would make me stop in my tracks. Don’t get me wrong, I like carrots, but these look absolutely stunning. Not a huge fresh parsley fan (yes, I know…I know), but tarragon goes well with carrots so I may go that route.

Love carrots, will be making these for Easter , roasted is especially good. Reading the article and your mentioning Leamington, wow—— brings back memories of summers spent their. You are right on about the corn… always stopped at road side corn stands to get it, fresh cooked w/lots of butter. Fond memories.

• 42
      Kim Beaulieu says:

I love our growing season, it may be short lived but it’s always spectacular. The corn is so out of this world.

Hope you love these. I’m making them tomorrow too.

Saw this yummy recipe on Pinterest so I came on over. While the carrots look great, I had to comment on your location. I lived in Windsor for a number of years as a child, and have been to Point Pelee a bunch of times! Great memories! Small world, I guess, eh? (That’s my inner Canadian coming out.)

• 44
      Kim Beaulieu says:

Thanks so much Holly. I love roasting vegetables, I think it’s because it brings out their natural sweetness.

We love Point Pelee. It’s family tradition to bring all visitors to PP. We always do family get-togethers there. Love it. Such a fun place to visit.