This Slow Cooker Ham with Honey Mustard Glaze is perfect for the holiday season. This simple recipe is packed with flavour and the taste is out of this world.
The holidays are upon us and it’s time to head into the kitchen to cook up a storm. Which is exactly what I did today.
My slow cooker did all the hard work today. If you love slow cooker recipes this is just the recipe for you!
This ham recipe is so simple to make. The glaze takes just a few minutes to make then it’s brushed over the ham before cooking. It’s a thing of beauty.
Ham is always on our menu for Christmas. We tend to make it for Easter as well. Sometimes we even make it for Thanksgiving. It’s a great main course and feeds a crowd.
Making it in your slow cooker is the perfect way to free up your oven for other things. We usually make two main course dishes for holidays.
Ingredients Needed to Make Slow Cooker Ham
- Spiral sliced ham- mine weighed 4.055 kgs which is 8.94 lbs
- Light Brown Sugar
- Dijon Mustard
- Pineapple Juice
- Ground cinnamon
- Fresh parsley, if desired for garnish
How to Cook a Slow Cooker Ham
- Make the glaze first in a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Place ham on its side in slow cooker and either brush on the glaze or pour on the glaze.
- Make sure you get the glaze in between all those beautiful layers of ham.
- Use all the glaze on the ham prior to cooking.
- Turn the ham so the flat cut end faces down.
- Turn on your slow cooker.
- Baste every hour if cooking on low or every 30 minutes if cooking on high.
- Once cooked baste one last time then slice and serve.
- You can slice this when it’s warm or allow it to cool.
- One tip is to slice it then place the pieces back in the slow cooker until you’re ready to serve it. This keeps it warm until people arrive.
Which Side Should Face the Bottom of the Slow Cooker
- Personally, I like the flat cut end of the ham to face the bottom of the slow cooker when cooking.
- If your ham will not fit with the flat cut end down you can try placing it on its side.
- You can also trim it if necessary prior to cooking.
- Just remember to brush the ham BEFORE you put the cut side down!!
How Long to Cook a Slow Cooker Ham
- I recommend cooking this on low for 4 to 6 hours. The internal temperature should reach 140 degrees F when it is done.
- If you are pressed for time you can cook this on high for 2 to 3 hours. Again, you want the internal temperature to reach 140 degrees F.
Should I Baste my Slow Cooker Ham
- Yes! You should absolutely baste your ham! I highly recommend doing so!
- Baste it every hour if you are cooking it on the low setting of your slow cooker.
- Baste it every 30 minutes if you are cooking it on the high setting of your slow cooker.
- Give it one last baste before slicing.
- Save some of the liquid to pour or drizzle over top when serving. Don’t waste that tasty glaze!
How Much Slow Cooker Ham Do You Need
- This is always a tricky one for me. We LOVE ham so we eat way to much of it.
- That said, I recommend 1/2 to 3/4 pounds per person if using bone-in ham. It’s better to have too much than not enough.
- If using boneless ham plan on 1/3 to 1/2 pound per person. Again, I would rather have too much than not enough.
- Make sure you calculate how many people you are feeding and do your math prior to buying your ham.
- Keep in mind if will need a bit less if serving another main course along with the ham.
How to Store Leftover Ham
- Store your leftovers in an airtight container. I love using glass containers for ham.
- You can store leftover ham in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- If using the freezer you can safely store it for 1 to 2 months.
- I tend to err on the side of caution with pork. Some people store theirs longer.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Ham
- Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Balsamic Roasted Baby Carrots
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- Skillet Asparagus with Lime Butter
- One Hour Bread
Hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday season!
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
Slow Cooker Ham with Honey Mustard Glaze
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 to 10 pounds spiral cut ham
- Add your glaze ingredients to a small saucepan. This includes the light brown sugar, honey, dijon mustard, pineapple juice and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil then cook for about 4-6 minutes on medium heat until it thickens slightly. Be sure to stir occasionally as it cooks. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the ham on its side in the slow cooker. Brush or pour the glaze all over the ham, including in between the layers. Flip the ham so the flat cut side faces down. Place lid on slow cooker. Turn the dial to low and cook for about 4 to 6 hours. Baste every hour if using the low setting. If using the high setting cook for about 2 to 3 hours. Baste every 30 minutes if using the high setting. Keep in mind that if you don't have time to baste this will stir turn out amazing! I prefer to baste mine but it's not the end of the world if you don't.
- Once ham reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F it's time to turn off your slow cooker.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice the ham into pieces.
- Arrange the ham pieces on platter for serving. Drizzle the glaze over top of the ham prior to serving!
Thanks for visiting today