This Garlic Scape Pesto is super easy to make and utterly addictive. You will want to top everything you make with this Pesto! And who could blame you?
Last week I received my first CSA delivery. I’ll admit I was beyond excited to find out we had them in our area. I took advantage immediately and ordered bi-weekly deliveries. The first one came loaded with garlic scapes.
If you’ve never had garlic scapes you’ve been missing out. The taste is stellar, and they are incredibly versatile. You can use them for just about anything. So I used them for everything. It’s how I roll.
The first thing I made was this pesto. It’s so good I just wanted to eat it out of the jar with a spoon. And I did. Until the neighbours caught me shovelling it into my mouth while I was supposed to be taking photos.
Whoops. My bad.
If you’re unsure what a garlic scape looks like the photo below is for you. They sort of resemble snakes. Which is sort of icky. So just forget I said that. They look like heavenly deliciousness. Ya, that’s what I meant.
See, they look like, um, heavenly deliciousness right? Moving on.
I decided I had to make as many things as possible with my garlic scapes. So this is recipe number one. There will be more recipes coming. I just hope there are more garlic scapes coming. I need more. Now.
Okay, so I should say I want some more. Not that I need some more. I mean, it’s not like I’m addicted or anything. It’s not like I’ve been sitting her twitching since I ran out of them or anything.
I mean I can quit any time I want to. I just don’t want to. And you wouldn’t either. I mean look at this pesto. Who wouldn’t get addicted to it?
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1 cup garlic scapes, cut into pieces
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ almonds (you could use pistachios, pine nuts or walnuts)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and white pepper, to taste, if desired
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- Combine the basil leaves, garlic scapes, and almonds in a food processor. Pulse until everything is broken up into small chunks.
- Add the parmesan cheese, salt and white pepper. Pulse briefly.
- Turn the food processor on and slowly add the olive oil until the pesto is the consistency you like.
- Remove and transfer to an air tight container, pop in the fridge until needed.
- Or just shove it all in your mouth immediately, whatever works for you.
- You can use this over pasta, crostini, sandwiches or for dip for some great crackers. However you use it make lots because it will be gobbled up quickly.
- Serve with a big old garlic scape loving smile!
Now run out and see if your farmers market has garlic scapes. Then make this. Then shove this in your face. Rapidly.
Or share it with your family and friends. Whatever.
Manners are over-rated when there is Garlic Scape Pesto around.
Nice, shmice, pass the pesto and no one gets hurt.
Want more healthy recipes, check out my Healthy Recipes Pinterest Board:
More fresh and summery recipes from yours truly:
Peach Salad with Peach and Hazelnut Dressing, pictured above
Farro with Pistachios and Dried Cherries, pictured above
Enchiladas with Quinoa, Chicken, and Peach Salsa, pictured above
Mini-me and myself are going to do a farm stand crawl next week. I’ll make sure I take lots of photos to share with you. My second CSA arrives on Monday too so we’ll be knee-deep in fresh produce soon. Just the way I like it.
Toodles and smoochies! xx