Meatballs smothered in enchilada sauce, topped with roasted red peppers and caramelized onions, then topped with a Mexican 4 Cheese Blend. All packed into mini sub buns.
This is a sponsored post for Rosina Food Products, Inc.®. All opinions are my own, as always. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support Cravings of a Lunatic.
This is fusion food at its finest. It’s so simple to make and the absolutely packed with flavour. I’m not kidding, this recipe is beyond amazing. It’s seriously going to blow your mind when you take the first bite!
I picked up Rosina Italian Style Meatballs and cooked them in the oven to brown them. Then I caramelized some onions while the meatballs were browning. I’m telling you right now that caramelized onions are awesome.
I used my Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce for these but you can use store bought if you so desire. I’m all about things being easy. Life is short, and while it should be delicious, it should never be complicated.
Once those were done I packed everything into mini French sub buns. No joke, I packed them to the point of ridiculousness. I wanted them to be overflowing with flavour and ingredients, literally. Because that’s how I roll!.
The subs were placed on a pan lined with parchment to make clean up a snap. I love cooking, but I hate cleanup. It’s always the worst part for me. So I take extra steps to make my life easier. Parchment rocks for quick clean up.
Once you have everything packed into your sub buns you just pop the pan in the oven and let the magic happen. The cheese melts, the enchilada sauce bubbles and everything becomes one perfect fusion of awesomeness.
Pull those bad boys out of the oven and serve them right away. Take a bite and wonder where these Tex-Mex Meatball Subs have been all your life. They will make you question all your life choices. Or at least your food choices.
We picked up the Rosina Italian Style Meatballs at Walmart. It’s where all the cool kids shop. Or at least I do. I like that I can grab everything I need in one place. Groceries, makeup, movies, snacks, and anything else my little heart desires.
I grabbed all my supplies while I was prancing through the aisles at Walmart. I grabbed my Rosina Italian Style Meatballs, buns, cheese, peppers, onions, green onions, and I may have picked up some candy too. Not for the subs, just for me.
Rosina is the original real Italian meatball. You can pick up any of the 3 varieties of Rosina Meatballs at Walmart!
Rosina Italian Style Meatballs – 52oz
Rosina Italian Style Meatballs – 26oz
Rosina Homestyle Meatballs – 26oz
Save $1.50 at Walmart with the available coupon!! Save money like a champ. Stock your freezer and make meatball subs all summer long. You know you want to. Stocking up is a time saver, and a money saver.
You can keep up with all the latest news about Rosina Food Products, Inc.® by following them on Facebook. You can also follow them on Pinterest. It’s a great way to keep up with recipes, new products, and deals.
For me life is all about choices. I don’t sweat the small stuff. Anything I can do to make meal time absolutely delicious but save time is a good thing. I don’t like complicating my life unnecessarily.
The time I save shopping at Walmart is time I can spend at the barn with my daughter having a blast. That’s everything. The time I save using Rosina Meatballs is time I can spend watching The Walking Dead for the hundredth time.
Life is all about balance. We’re all busy, life gets nuts at times. Never let anyone make you feel like you need to be the perfect Stepford Wife to be successful. I figure if I took a shower, cooked dinner and the house is still standing it’s a good day.
Now run into the kitchen and whip up these Tex-Mex Meatball Subs. Then invite me over for dinner and a Walking Dead marathon. I’m all about making good choices. That sounds like the perfect date if you ask me.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic!
- 1 package Rosina Italian Style Meatballs (26 oz/1 lb 10 oz/737 g)
- 2 sweet onions, cut into long thin strips
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers (370 ml)
- 2 cups Homemade Enchilada Sauce, or Store Bought Enchilada Sauce
- 1 package store bough Taco Seasoning
- 1 package of 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese (8 oz/226 g)
- green onions, or scallions, chopped
- fresh cilantro
- 10 mini French sub buns
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line meatballs on a parchment lined rimmed cookie sheet. Place in oven and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a large cast iron pan, or skillet, cook the onions in about 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until onions brown. At medium heat it should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Once the onions are golden brown add the roasted red peppers, and cook while stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain excess fat if desired.
- Slice open the sub buns but not all the way through. Leave them attached, then just set them on a parchment lined cookie sheet cut side up.
- Transfer the meatballs to a large skillet and sprinkle taco seasoning over top. Add enchilada sauce to the pan, then cook over medium heat, stirring until the meatballs are coated and the mixture is combined well. Take off heat.
- Place about 5 meatballs in each bun. Scoop any extra sauce over top of each sub. Top with onion and pepper mixture. Then add cheese over top.
- Place the pan in the preheated 375 degree F oven and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, just until the cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and dig in.
- Serve with a big old meatball loving smile!
I absolutely loved making this one. The smell of the onions and peppers cooking was amazing!
Then when I took the meatballs out of the oven I squealed with delight. Perfect little spheres!
Then me being me, I added taco seasoning and enchilada sauce. It’s what I do. More is better.
Then I started packing all that goodness into the sub buns with wild abandon!
Then I sang the classic 70’s song More, More, More, because it’s my motto!
Then I popped the pan in the oven and waited like Elmo waits for cookies. Siri, play Sub Music.
The wait was worth it. I mean, look at these little beauties. They’re stunning.
PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVOURITE MEATBALL OR SANDWICH BOARD:
I know, I know. I got really photo happy with this one. It was just so fun to shoot.