This bourbon laced vanilla chai tea will heat up even the chilliest nights. You'll forget about using premade chai mix once you sip this homemade chai.
Welcome to Day 3 of Booze Week. We're celebrating September's Edition of Booze Week. At this point it seems to be a monthly event.
Today's guest is my very dear, and special friend, Aly of Cooking in Stilettos. Aly is my rock when I have blogging issues. She's just the most supportive friend, but she's also not afraid to give me the kick in the ass I need on occasion to stay focused. I appreciate honesty in a friend. It's important to keep things real.
I'd like everyone to give Aly a warm lunatic welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here, Aly.
When Kim asked for a cocktail that would bring the heat to the party, well, I kinda took it a bit literally. I love a toasty cocktail – whether it’s an Irish coffee, a rum laced hot chocolate or this spicy sweet Bourbon Laced Vanilla Chai Tea Latte, I’m all about the warmth.
Yes – I said it – I laced my chai with a super generous splash of bourbon. But here’s the kicker – this is not an individual cocktail that I brought you today. It’s enough for a few people – or you can make a pitcher of this chai and heat it up in the morning for a chai that is way better than that local coffee shop that you know you frequent in the morning on the way to work. Just don’t add the bourbon then – that would be bad.
This is a recipe that you can play with – if you like more of a ginger kick, you can add a couple more pieces to simmer. More vanilla at the forefront – add another vanilla bean. Want it sweeter – add a touch more brown sugar. Want even more of a bourbon touch – well, then add 2 ounces to your steaming mug of chai – it’s all up to you.
So – when the weather takes on a bit more chill, make this chai tea latte and curl up while catching up on the latest fall premieres.
Bourbon Laced Vanilla Chai Tea Latte
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and cut into coins
- 2 cinnamon sticks broken
- 2 star anise
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- ⅛ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 cups of cold water
- 1 vanilla bean sliced lengthwise
- 5 black tea bags
- 2 cups of milk
- ⅓ cup of packed light brown sugar
- Bourbon plan on 1 ounce per person
- Whipped cream cinnamon sticks and nutmeg for garnish
- In a plastic bag, add the cinnamon sticks, star anise, black peppercorns, cloves, and cardamom pods. Lightly crush and pour into a medium saucepan.
- Add the ginger, water and the seeds of the vanilla bean and the scraped vanilla pod to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat. When the mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or so, partially covered.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the tea bags. Let steep for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags from the mixture.
- Add the sugar and the milk, whisking thoroughly over high heat until the mixture is brought to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL).
- Pour into mugs and add the bourbon.
- Stir with a cinnamon stick, garnish with some whipped cream and a bit of freshly grated nutmeg. Enjoy!
I'm home from my conference now but worn out. Six days whooping it up with my blogging buddies wore me right out. I have a quiet day planned today. Then tomorrow I have appointments up the wazoo. Starting with a window estimate at 8 am. What was I thinking?
Thanks so much to Aly for guest posting for me today. If you're not following Aly you should be. Swing by her blog, Cooking in Stilettos and spend some time poking about. Make sure you follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest while you're there. She's worth following everywhere. You will love Aly as much as I do.
Toodles and smoochies! xx
You just said my two favorite things: bourbon and chai. I'm in love--swoon!
jen @ one curly fry
Although truth be told, I think I need a FEW shots of bourbon in it to bring to work! It's THAT kind of week.
Helloooooo fall! I need me some of this 🙂
Choc Chip Uru
Haha spiking tea now are we? I am all up for it, this latte looks awesome 😀
Choc Chip Uru
Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze
I love chai tea lattes and then add some bourbon...I'm sold. Pinned! 🙂
You know this is right up my alley!