This Chocolate Banana Ice Cream is a homemade frozen treat that is rich, creamy and loaded with flavour. It’s easy to make and there is no ice cream maker needed.
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream is a summer staple in our house and we absolutely love this homemade frozen treat. I make a lot of ice cream recipes and this is one of my favourites!
I love ice cream. More than just about anything in the whole wide world. I also love chocolate. As much as ice cream. Bananas are another love of mine. They rank pretty close to chocolate, and ice cream. So I combined them all into one fabulous recipe. Then I tossed in some rum extract for a little extra oomph.
I was perusing one of my favourite websites, David Lebovitz, and saw he had a great Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream that didn’t require an ice cream maker. David uses alcohol to keep ice cream from freezing too hard. Which is a genius idea. However I have a health condition that means alcohol is off limits to me. I can have extracts though so I used rum extract in this to get a similar flavour.
I am so impressed with how this turned out. It’s the best ice cream I’ve had in a long time, and that’s huge coming from a gal who eats ice cream on a regular basis.
This ice cream recipe kicks off my annual summer series Ice Cream Sundays. You can stop by every Sunday until Fall to get new ice cream recipes from yours truly. I have a serious love affair with ice cream. I hope you do too. Join me each week for a new flavour.
I had the pleasure of meeting David at Blogher Food this year. The man is just mesmerizing when he speaks, his panel discussion was fabulous. Afterwards they had a book signing session with David. I was incredibly nervous to meet him. There was no need to be, David is the most genuine, easy going person. He puts everyone he meets at ease. He asked me about my badge that had my blog name on it. I told him the name of my blog, and he laughed and told me how much he loved it. That little gesture made my day.
If you ever get a chance to meet David, or have a book signed by him I highly recommend it. The man is a genius, yet he’s the most down to earth person I’ve met. I also highly recommend trying some of his recipes or buy his cookbooks. You will thank me for that advice!
See you next Sunday for another edition of Ice Cream Sundays.
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 banana cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons rum extract can be reduced to 1
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extractm can be reduced to 1
- 1 cup of prepared whipped cream
- In a heat proof bowl combine the chocolate milk and chocolate chips. Place the bowl over a medium size pot filled with simmering water. Continue to simmer water until the chocolate completely melts. Stir until combined.
- In a stand mixer (or blender) combine the chocolate mixture, banana, and extracts. Mix until combined.
- Add the prepared whipped cream and mix until smooth.
- To make 1 cup of whipping cream all you need to do is mix 1/2 cup of heavy cream and about 1 teaspoon of sugar in stand mixer until it's fluffy.
- Now pour into a metal container, or plastic if you don't have metal, and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with a big old chocolatey-banana smile!
Thanks for visiting today!
While you’re here please take a minute to follow me on Pinterest. I’m always pinning great recipes and fun DIY projects.
You should also follow me on Instagram. It’s a great way to stay up to date on all the latest and greatest blog recipes.