This Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn is a fun and tasty snack recipe for movie night. You are going to love this one!
This cinnamon sugar popcorn is easy to make and always gets rave review from everyone who tries it. It's the perfect sweet snack for any occasion.
Honestly, I am a serious popcorn-aholic. I can never get enough it.
Seriously, I make it almost every night to snack on while I watch TV at night. Not even kidding, almost every night!
My youngest kiddo likes traditional popcorn. Hot butter and salt, nothing else.
The rest of us are what the youngest hooligan refers to as "freaks of nature", which is anyone who eats their popcorn any other way.
It's all good. If eating flavored popcorn is wrong, I don't want to right!
- Popcorn - You can use plain store bought popcorn, or make your own.
- Butter - Salted or unsalted butter works for this recipe. Use whichever one. you prefer the taste of.
- Sugar - The cinnamon sugar mix uses three kinds of sugar: granulated sugar, brown sugar and Demerara sugar.
- Spices - This popcorn recipe uses both cinnamon and nutmeg. If you don't like nutmeg you can omit it.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn:
- Start by popping your popcorn, or grab your store bought popcorn.
- Transfer the popcorn to one giant bowl or smaller individual size bowls. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, or in the microwave. You want to use warm butter but not piping hot so set it aside for a bit.
- Next, make the cinnamon sugar mix by adding the sugars and spices in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside
- Whisk the butter then pour it over top of the popcorn you set aside earlier. Try to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over top of the popcorn. Toss to distribute it evenly.
- Serve immediately or store for later.
How to Store Leftover Popcorn:
Allow the popcorn to cool completely before storing it.
Then, store the leftover popcorn in an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature for up to a week.
Alternately, you can store popcorn in airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. I would recommend placing a paper towel on the bottom of the container, then use plastic wrap on top of the popcorn to help keep moisture and air from causing issues.
More Snack Recipes:
- Nutella Muddy Buddies
- Root Beer Popcorn
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Momzie's Peanut Butter Cookies
- Parmesan Popcorn
- Caramel Dipped Grapes
Places to stalk Cravings of a Lunatic
Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn
For the Popcorn:
- 12 cups fresh popped popcorn or store bought
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and warm but not scorching hot
- Pop your popcorn however you like. You can use microwave if you don't like making your own. You can pop it on the stove, or you can use an air popper. We use an air popper about 85% of the time.
- Set aside in one giant bowl, or a bunch of smaller bowls.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat. You want to whisk it to keep it smooth. Once it bubbles and melts completely you can turn off the heat. You want the butter warm, but if you pour it over the popcorn too hot it can shrink your popcorn. No one likes shrinkage so use warm, but not scorching butter on popcorn.
- As it cooks you can mix the Cinnamon Sugar Mix in a small bowl. Combine everything and mix it up really well. I usually toss mine in a mason jar, pop the lid on, and shake the heck out of it. Leftovers can be stored in mason jars and used over muffins and pies.
- Pour your melted butter over top of the popcorn and make sure you coat it all evenly.
- Now sprinkle as much, or as little of the cinnamon sugar mix over top of the popcorn. Start slow and taste as you go so you don't go too heavy handed for your own tastebuds. You can always add more, but you can't take away. Good rule of thumb for adding flavour to anything really.
- Nosh on it immediately while the butter and popcorn are still warm.
- Serve with a big old "I'm going to eat too much of this and I really don't care" smile!
If you love food photos as well as "slice of life" photos you should totally follow me on Instagram. Not only do I share pretty food photos there, but I also share photos of my pets.
Thanks for visiting. Keep swinging by for more delicious recipes every week.