I have a special treat for you today. A new recipe and some old ones. Hope you enjoy the turtle extravaganza. You know me and turtles. It's a love affair like no other. Well except chocolate. And ice cream. And popcorn. And...
So welcome to day 2 of my top 10 post extravaganza. As many of you know we are preparing for a big road trip across Canada and the States. We are driving our son out west to school. So we are not only prepping for a massive road trip but packing up his belongings for his new life out there. Let's just say we'll be lucky the SUV will roll out of the driveway by the time we leave. So much to bring, I really hope it all fits. We also want to spend our last week together chilling out and having family time. So I wanted to do something to keep the blog active for my loyal readers but still free up time for the family. This seemed like the way to go. Each day will be a different top 10 and you will be able to click any of the photos to get to the post with the recipe. Hope you enjoy!
I had intended to post a new turtle recipe earlier this week but let's just say some extended family stuff came up. Which means I never got to post my #10. So I shall include it today since it's absolutely freaking fabulous and I want you to see my newest obsession. I got a waffle stick maker when we did a day trip to the states. Let's just say it's all kinds of fun and not good for my waistline. Head to the bottom to see what the awesomeness I whipped up with it and get the recipe. I think you're going to like this one.
LUNIE'S TOP 10 TURTLE RECIPES:
Recipe for the Homemade Caramel (this needs to be made in advance):
For the Waffles:
For the topping:
- 1 cup of chocolate chips melted
- 1 cup of caramel
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
Directions for the Homemade Caramel:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine water and sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves. Takes about 3 or so minutes.
- Bring to a boil, but DO NOT stir. Let it bubble until it goes golden. You can swirl lightly but don’t stir it.
- Once it goes amber coloured remove from heat. Add butter. Swish around until it melts.
- Add the heavy cream. It will bubble up so be prepared for that.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Stir until smooth.
- Set aside to cool a bit.
For the Waffles:
- Melt your butter in the microwave. Should take about 45 seconds depending on your microwave. Set aside and let cool.
- In a medium sized bowl combine all your dry ingredients. Combine well.
- In another small bowl combine your wet ingredients and cooled butter. Combine well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk briefly.
- Pour batter into your waffle maker. Mine took about 3 to 4 minutes for each batch.
- Now plate the waffles. Here’s where it gets good.
- Now drizzle the melted chocolate over top.
- Then drizzle the caramel over top.
- Toss some pecans over top.
- Serve with a big old Turtle Loving smile!
Can I just say this might be my new favourite way to get my turtle fix right now. So good! Wickedly over indulgent I know, but heck, life is short. Eat some turtles. Eat lots of turtles. One day when you're old you will never say " I wish I hadn't eaten all those turtles".
I did something a bit different with this particular top 10. I included a recipe from another blogger. I wanted to include Kristen's guest post where she made Turtle Buns in this recap. I know from personal experience how good these things are since she brought me oodles of them to chomp on during our trip to Food Blog Forum. They are beyond good and the proof is in the p...turtle buns people, Kristen is a kick a** cook! Stop by and visit her blog, Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker to see for yourself!!!
Stop by tomorrow for my Top 10 Ice Cream posts. This one will make you want to grab a spoon the size of Mount Rushmore!
My Vanilla Sugar recipe!
Caramel is adapted from Fine Cooking.
Toodles and smoochies! xx