It's that time of the month again. Time for The Secret Recipe Club reveal. SRC is a group of bloggers who make recipes from each other's blog on the sly than once a month each sub-group reveals their pick for the month. We get assigned a blog by our fearless leaders, then we go in stealth mode and scope out which recipe we want to make from our assigned blog.
We make the recipe, take some picks and then Mission Impossible style all reveal at the same time on a set day. It's a cool group. And I'm not going to lie, this is as close to a spy as I'll ever get so I'm having some fun with it. I may even dress up in black with a ski mask on the day I scope out my blog. It's adds an extra air of mystery to the whole experience. Some days I pretend they've found me out and I have to hit the floor and camouflage myself. My family walks by the blog room and I'm incognito wearing dark clothes, sunglasses with a hood mysteriously pulled down over my eyes. It creeps them out but I'm not going to stop doing it. There's nothing like being a spy AND scaring the living heck out of your family at the same time. Now that my friends is how we roll up here at the stealthy Bee household.
This month I was assigned The Cookaholic Wife. I was thrilled with my assignment and set myself on stealth mode. I was already familiar with Nichole's blog so I knew I was going to have a gazillion options to choose from. She makes some seriously good recipes. I had a hard time trying to narrow down the choices. I got caught up reading some posts I'd missed previously. Nichole has a great writing style so it's easy to get drawn in while visiting and hang awhile. Which is not very stealthy of me, breaks the "get in, get out" code. I had about 3 recipes I was dying to try, but I'm going to be honest with you, it's about a bazillion degrees here in Ontario right now so cooking and baking are not appealing to me right now. I headed over to her frozen section, put my back against the glass while I perused her choices. Then it was like that ah ha moment. I swear I heard music playing like in commercials when you see the thing you've been longing for. Okay so it was the music from Wayne's World when Garth sees his true love, but still. Music is music. I zeroed in on the lemon ice with my sniper vision and knew I had made my mark. Successful mission indeed.
Okay so let me just say I did tweak it a teeny, tiny, itty, bitty bit. Not because I needed to cuz the recipe was spot on. But because by now you know I love all things pink. So of course I was going to make it pink lemon ice. I had to put my thinking cap on and lucky for me all the days in spy mode had me inspired. I had made a Pink Lemonade Ice Cream before so I knew if I used some pink lemonade concentrate it would work. I just happened to have some in my freezer. First rule of spy school, always be prepared. Okay so that's the boy scouts but it still applies. Now it was time to get my pink on. It's okay, some spies wear pink. Known fact. Look it up.
Pink Lemonade Ice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup vanilla brown sugar you can use regular white sugar, I just thought it would enhance the pink colour and the lemon taste to use vanilla
- 4 lemons
- 2 cans of pink lemonade concentrate- 295 ml you can cut down to 1 if you don’t like too much pucker, I personally like a good pucker
- In a saucepan combine your water and sugar. Cook over medium to low heat until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the lemons by cutting in half and squeezing over top. Cook for one more minute.
- Remove from heat and add your pink lemonade concentrate. Mix until it melts. This will also help the sugar mixture cool so you can freeze it immediately.
- Pour throw a sieve to remove seeds.
- Put in shallow dishes, I used 2 glass casserole dishes. The big 9 x 13 ones to ensure it froze quickly by having a shallow layer.
- Every hour or two give it a scrape with a fork.
- Once you are ready to serve it, go over it again with a fork to scrape it into granita/ice.
- Serve with a big old puckery smile!
This was so incredible. I was so overjoyed I may have jumped up and down on the couch while watching Oprah. Or maybe not.
So get your ice on folks. Make it more fun by doing it incognito. Then send me photos of you making it and eating in disguise. I'd love to see that. If you get video of someone eating this and you doing Ellen's dance dare behind them in your spy gear I will personally ensure you get on tv. Cuz that would be awesome and tv worthy. Have at it.
I'd like to thank Nichole for such great inspiration. Your blog is awesome and I had a blast with this month's challenge.
Make sure you stop by the other SRC members blogs and see what they whipped up this month. Tell them super stealthy spy sent you.
Toodles and smoochies! xx