Wonderful recipe for meatballs in a red sauce. Simple and delicious!
How do you start off a post for an event like this...
it has me perplexed...
the pressure is mounting...
how do I begin...
what do I say...
when all I really want to do is...
Okay so it's cliché, but I can't help it. Emeril is just too adorable any time he does it. Who amongst us hasn't imitated him on occasion when adding spice to our meals. When we're kicking it up a notch. It's how Emeril rolls. He likes spice, he loves garlic and in my world "bam" means something fabulous is brewing. Something hot and spicy, which are too words that describe Emeril, er, Emeril's food. Sorry, just sort of slipped out.
Sunday Supper has the distinct pleasure of bringing you a taste of two of Emeril's cookbooks. Some folks are showcasing recipes from his Kicked Up Sandwiches Cookbook, and some folks are showcasing recipes from Emeril's Potluck. I received a copy of Emeril's Potluck. I have to admit it's my first Emeril Lagasse cookbook. While I'm admitting things let's just state now that I'm a Canuck and I'm going to tell you a little secret about Canada. You ready? You sure? Our version of The Food Network sort of blows. I've had the American version of The Food Network and it's amazing. Worthy of a big old "bam". The Canadian version is lacking. I hate to admit we're behind the times. There's not much Emeril in my area which also blows. I'm telling ya, being Canadian can be hard. I love my country immensely but seriously we need to step up the tv and the cereal choices soon before I'm forced to move. Do not even get me started on the lack of cool stores here. I've never been in a World Market or Sur la Table *hug sobs*. So when I need an Emeril fix I head over the Food Network website and browse around there. The dude has some amazing recipes. I'm happy to finally have my first Emeril cookbook. I've flagged almost every page, except the seafood section. Mini-me is allergic so we avoid seafood here. I'm really chomping at the bit to try his Penne a la Vodka Casserole. It's looks like sheer perfection.
I chose to do Paul's "Make The Whole Crew Happy" Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy. I know what you are thinking. You are all shocked Lunie is making pasta right. What can I say folks, I'm nothing if not predictable. I like carbs, they make me happy. I've never gotten on board the whole low carb/no carb thing. Unless you're diabetic I think eating some carbs is a good thing. It gives you energy. The problem is not carbs, people, it's TOO many carbs, TOO many times a day, TOO many times a week. Eat some at lunch to keep you satisfied for the day then have a dinner with protein and green veggies. That is the key to a balanced diet. I'm just not a fan of cutting out this and cutting out that. Life is short, live a little. Or in the case of this pasta, live a lot!
Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy
For the Red Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Italian Essence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 cloves garlic minced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 tablespoons whole anise seeds
- 2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- 4 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, pureed with their juice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
For the Sausage Meatballs:
- 1 ½ pounds ground chuck
- 1 ½ pounds sweet Italian sausage removed from casings
- 1 pound fresh hot sausage removed from casings
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Base:
- 1 pound spaghetti cooked according to package directions
For the Garnish:
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the Red Gravy:
- In a large saucepan or Dutch Oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, Italian Essence, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook while stirring until the onions are soft, takes about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and anise. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste. Cook while stirring frequently until the paste begins to brown. Takes about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes, 2 ½ cups of water, and Original Essence. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
For the Sausage Meatballs:
- In a very large bowl, combine the ground chuck, sweet sausage, hot sausage, garlic, eggs, Original Essence, salt, and black pepper. Mix this briefly but thoroughly. Shape into about 20 large meatballs (⅓ cup each) and set aside in the fridge.
Putting it Together:
- Add the meatballs to the sauce. Do not stir until the meatballs float to the top. This should take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir the sauce well. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve immediately over hot pasta.
- Pass the grated Parmesan at the table.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril's Potluck, William Morrow Publishers, New York, 2004
25 of us Sunday Supper folks are giving away a copy of Emeril's cookbooks. So stop by our Twitter Party at 7 pm Sunday night to join the fun. You need to participate in chat to win a copy. I happen to one of the lucky ones giving away a copy. Details at bottom of post.
Make sure you visit the Sunday Supper crew to see what they have whipped up for the Potluck:
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Drinks:
- Champagne Punch by girlichef
- Champagne Punch by Daily Dish Recipes
- Champagne Punch by Midlife Roadtrip
- Champagne Punch by Family Foodie
- Chi Chi Cocktails by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Starters:
- Spiced Nuts by The Cookie A Day Challenge
- Spiced Nuts by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Spiced Nuts by Home Cooking Memories
- Spiced Nuts by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Prosciutto Breadsticks & Spiced Nuts by Galactosemia in PDX
Sunday Supper NYE Potluck Dishes and Sandwiches:
- Sopressata and Genoa Salami Calzones by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Paul’s Make the Whole Crew Happy Sausage Meatballs with Red Gravy by Craving’s of a Lunatic
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Supper for a Steal
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by Diabetic Foodie
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Three Cheese Veggie Sandwich by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Foodie Army Wife
- Columbia Street Grinder by The Weekend Gourmet
- Columbia Street Grinder by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Columbia Street Grinder by Momma’s Meals
- Emeril’s Columbia Street Grinder Kicked Up a Notch New Orleans Style by The Catholic Foodie
- Eggplant Muffuletta by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- A Vegetarian Take on Emeril’s Kicked Up Sandwiches Tonkatsu Sandwich by Ninja Baking
- New Orleans Style Garlic BBQ Shrimp by Comfy Cuisine
Sunday Supper NYE Desserts:
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce by Magnolia Days
- New Orleans-Style Bread Pudding with 2 Sauces by Juanita’s Cocina
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze by Damn Delicious
Toodles and smoochies! xx