Hi folks. Hope everyone is doing well on this fine…oh who am I kidding…this “not fine freaking freeze your tush off” day. It’s cold here today. I do not want to go outside, I do not want to go to the barn and freeze my toocus (I have no idea how to spell that) off. I will however go anyway and I will quite likely moan and b%$@* about it for hours later. So avoid on me on twitter later. Just warning ya now!
Okay so I made these last week with leftovers and when I posted the pictures as a teaser you folks seemed to like them. So I am back with the recipe. And more pics. You know I love sharing pics and driving you all mad. You’re welcome.
Before I get to the fajitas I just want to make sure everyone saw these:
And while I am tempting you, you know what goes good with sticky buns…pizza. You know you want pizza.Could you just pass out right now! These little beauties were the most fun to make. Took forever but I’ve never been so excited to see something come out of the oven.
I know right! You could just about die from how gorgeous those caramelized onions are, and look at those red and green peppers. So yummy.
Okay now that I am done pimping out my food let me continue….pimping out my food.
What I like about these fajitas is how fast they were to make. I had leftover steak that I had done a touch more rare than I normally would so all I had to do now was cook this up a touch more and add some flavour to it. This is something you can do in 30 minutes. Even with no leftovers and cooking the steak from start to finish this would be under 30 minutes. You are cutting the steak into strips and pan frying it so it cooks super fast. It’s just a matter of cutting up you toppings and you are good to go. Now I shall warn you, I like mine plain as all get out. I don’t like sour cream, I don’t like fancy taco cheese. I don’t like tomatoes. I know right, picky eater. Worse than a kid. Feel free to jazz yours up more if you like. Quite honestly for me with fajitas less is more. Sometimes I add shallots cuz they are the bomb. Sometimes I’ll add onion or garlic cuz they are the bomb. More often than not I just go simple.
So here they are. Hope you like them. Feel free to pimp them out to all your friends.
- Flank Steak- mine was leftovers but I’d guess it at 10-12 ounces of steak (I shop at Costco, stuffs huge)
- Tamari Sauce to taste ( I used Memories of Kobe)
- Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Onion powder to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese ( I like medium for tacos, or use Colby, it’s good too)
- 2 cups of shredded lettuce (we just use a plain old iceberg but feel free to jazz that up)
- 1 pack medium sized soft tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Cut your steak into strips. Should be small enough to bite into but big enough to look manly!
- Spray a pan with non stick spray and add a touch of olive oil.
- Pop your steak into a HOT pan. You should have it over a medium-high heat.
- Now cook for about 6 to 8 minutes if using fresh, OR 2 to 4 minutes if using leftover steak. Cook time depends on how you like yours done. I like mine more cooked than most people. Keep stirring it around occasionally or it might stick. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Now cut up you lettuce. Set aside.
- If you did not buy your cheese already shredded you need to do that now. Set aside.
- Now once your meat is almost done add in some tamari sauce. You only need about 1 to 2 tablespoons. Stir until it blends in well. If meat is getting dry you can always add a drizzle of olive oil. Cook for another minute or two.
- Remove and let stand for a couple of minutes.
- Heat up your tortillas. You do this by placing them in the microwave for a few seconds. Or you could have a tortilla warmer in your oven on low for a few minutes prior. Or you can heat them in a pan for a few seconds. Lots of ways to heat tortillas. Just keep in mind they heat up super fast.
- Now start stacking.
- I like to do them up and stick a toothpick in to hold it together until I eat it. Helps it stay put. Just remember to take it out when eating.
- Serve with a big old Lunatic smile.
Yup, so good! Now run off and go make these. It will make me happy and less cranky about the weather! I need to move. Somewhere warm. Like Hawaii!!!
Toodles and smoochies! xx